Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hackett Howe.. who's holding up the best..

Hackett Howe.. who's holding up the best..

It occurred to me after watching a bit of Hacketts current tour with the Genesis material and viewing several Howe interviews recently that while they are two years apart... one of these two gentlemen seemed to have held up a bit better through all the years.. I'm well aware of Howes self proclaimed macrobiotic approach to diet / health.. cant really say much about Hacketts... but it seems to be more than a bit of hair coloring that separates these two.. Hackett doesn't jump around on stage like Howe has in recent years.. but perhaps life on the road has taken it's toll on Howe?
    stevehowe.jpgSteve Hackett.jpg

Some people just have better genes than others when it comes to aging.

Steve Hackett looks healthier than he did when he was in Genesis. Ringo Star has them all beat though.

I don't think I've ever seen Hackett jump around though....doesn't seem to be his style

Hackett's playing is a lot better too.

Have you seen Steve Hacketts mum, shes in her 80s and looks 60!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'll take Keith Richards to block.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'll take Keith Richards to block.
    +1. Million.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Hackett is looking more like a stud now-a-days versus the young Steve with the uni-brow. Me thinks that the divorce and the subsequent rulings for his wife took something out of him but I'm happy for him now. Never been the biggest fan and to tell the truth, I've only seen him with GTR. Neither of these two are spring chickens. I don't know if Hackett smokes but smoking will grey and wrinkle you. Howe is still a bit of a young guy at heart and far too many are easy to judge him just by looking at him. He still a good guy with a sense of humor once you get him to open up. He expects alot and I, for one, am happy he keeps touring and recording. I'm far too overdue for a Steve Howe solo tour and would love a chance to catch the Trio sometime.

I think Hackett's playing and tone has improved and become more fluid over time (he was terribly stiff in the early 70s). Whereas Howe's playing has declined over the years. No question Howe was the master during the 70s though.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Great thread, this one.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

file:///C:/Users/crystal/Pictures/2008-03-11%20001/steve%205.gif

Healthwise Hackett hands down, playing wise its still Howe. Some have commented that Hackett has improved (he has) and Howe has gotten worse, but Howe is still the better, more talented and more technically capable guitarist of the two. Not trying to disparage Hackett because I love Hackett's playing, but Howe has been and continues to be one of the best guitarists on the planet (along with Pat Metheny).

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Healthwise Hackett hands down, playing wise its still Howe. Some have commented that Hackett has improved (he has) and Howe has gotten worse, but Howe is still the better, more talented and more technically capable guitarist of the two. Not trying to disparage Hackett because I love Hackett's playing, but Howe has been and continues to be one of the best guitarists on the planet (along with Pat Metheny).
    I don't agree here at all.

Hackett's playing seems to have gotten more precise, while Howe seems to be more sloppy. Just listen to their acoustic playing in their solo sets.

They're often compared and lumped together, but they're two very, very different guitarists, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hackett's playing seems to have gotten more precise, while Howe seems to be more sloppy. Just listen to their acoustic playing in their solo sets. And Hackett's playing on his former band's material is as strong, if not stronger than ever. Howe has been accused as the driving force behind the slower tempos on some of the older Yes stuff.

They're often compared and lumped together, but they're two very, very different guitarists, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Hackett's playing seems to have gotten more precise, while Howe seems to be more sloppy. Just listen to their acoustic playing in their solo sets. And Hackett's playing on his former band's material is as strong, if not stronger than ever. Howe has been accused as the driving force behind the slower tempos on some of the older Yes stuff.

+1.

It's hard to compare the two. I will say that Hackett seems to have pushed himself to improve while Howe has said that he doesn't really "practice" per se. To me this shows in how they are playing now, but they are still both great in their own ways. Another thing I would say about Hackett is while I agree that his playing has improved, I prefer the tones he was getting in the 70s.

No disrespect FlowerKing... I guess that is why we all have opinions! I could not disagree more. Howe has had some very great moments but I've always found him to be overrated and Hackett to be underrated. Neither I'd put in the "great" category but I love both Genesis and Yes and their contributions to both bands. As solo artists, for my taste Hackett wins by a long shot. As for Metheny I know I'm in the minority but I have never got him and I've tried and tried!
    Last edited by rich; 03-01-2014 at 01:08 AM.

I'm a fan of both players. Hugely influential - BOTH of them. In the end, however, to my taste Steve Hackett stands taller both in terms of song craft and technical playing. I've never heard Howe play 12 string and spanish guitar like Hackett for example. Hackett's last few solo albums are also crazy good. Some of his best! I can't say the same for Howe. His solo releases have never excited me really. Subjective I know. Lastly, I've heard many comments about Voyage of the Acolyte being the "lost Genesis album". I've never heard anyone say a Steve Howe album is close to the same level as a Yes album.

Just my thoughts.

i wonder who has the chunkier cock.

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    I'm a fan of both players. Hugely influential - BOTH of them. In the end, however, to my taste Steve Hackett stands taller both in terms of song craft and technical playing. I've never heard Howe play 12 string and spanish guitar like Hackett for example. Hackett's last few solo albums are also crazy good. Some of his best! I can't say the same for Howe. His solo releases have never excited me really. Subjective I know. Lastly, I've heard many comments about Voyage of the Acolyte being the "lost Genesis album". I've never heard anyone say a Steve Howe album is close to the same level as a Yes album.

Just my thoughts.
    You said it better than I did! My thoughts EXACTLY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    i wonder who has the chunkier cock.
    Don't ever travel to Uganda

Here's why its Howe and will always be Howe. Howe can play numerous styles (rock, prog rock, classical, fingerpicking bluegrass, jazz, etc) and often melds them together. Hackett plays essentially two styles: classical and prog. So even though Howe has slowed down and gotten sloppier as some of you have said, and hasn't written much of anything new in years, he is still the virtuoso of the two and Hackett, while great, is not a virtuoso.

Howe and Hackett should form a group together. Imagine the possibilities of two amazing progressive guitarists writing and jamming together. Wait . . . Uh, never mind.

Howe is allways unmistakably Howe, quirky and everything. Soundchaser - 'awful' tinnitus'ish sound + classical finger guitartecnique, and it sounds so great !
    Nobody sounded like Howe in the 70'ties.
    Hackett has always sounded more anonymous in my ears.
    Sometimes I thought Fripp Light, but I know from stuff he made with others, that he has become quite versatile (chameleon).