Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciaition

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    And of course the odd superfluous extra syllable in aluminium.
    How about the odd extra vowel in "pronunciaition"?

On this side of the "pond", almost nobody uses "whilst", but I was surprised to see "while" in the OP.

I type for school psychologists, and it baffles me that most of them pronounce 'comp-i-tents' (as in 'social and emotional competence') as 'comp-i-tensy'. I guess I figure they ought to know better, but they don't.

........... vās .................................................. .............. vāz

Orientated vs oriented as in Floyd's Pompeii film...

"People say we're a drug orientated band, but we're not. You can trust us." - Dave Gilmour
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Recently while watching various US dramas, I discovered something I was hitherto unaware of, in that I noticed several times that Americans pronounce the word vase as vaice. Presumably to follow logic and match with the pronunciation of words like case and base.

Whereas on this side of the pond we don't follow that logic at all. We say, "vahz" .... isn't that odd?

I wonder why we pronounce it like that, vahz.
    Be careful not to try to learn anything from American TV. It is often the most ignorant people there who speak with the most authority. Newscasters especially. Can't count the number of times I have caught them in mispronunciations, misspellings (in on-screen graphics), and bad grammar. Also, they lie a lot. I was born in the USA of American-English-speaking parents, and "vaice" is the pronunciation I learned as a child. There is very little logic to American English. In 1970, I remember hearing Graham Nash singing "I'll light the fire, you put the flowers in the vahz that you bought today." The meaning was clear (a vase is what you put flowers in), but the pronunciation was not what I was used to hearing.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    I lived on a Lafayette Street in New Jersey many years ago. Everyone in the neighborhood said "Lahf-ee-ETT". Accent on the last syllable.
    Yep, that's how we grew up saying it.

Why do some people pronounce the title of their father's sister as "ant" whilst () some pronounce it as "ont?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I was always put off by the British pronunciation of the black cat/motor car "jag-you-are." I prefer the American "jag-warr."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwyd
    I lived on a Lafayette Street in New Jersey many years ago. Everyone in the neighborhood said "Lahf-ee-ETT". Accent on the last syllable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Because that's the correct way to say it.
    You want to learn about pronunciation from people who say "Joizey."
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Orientated vs oriented as in Floyd's Pompeii film...
    Ah, that's the other one I was trying to think of!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    There is very little logic to American English.
    There is very little logic to English. (through though tough thought, for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA)
    There is very little logic to English. (through though tough thought, for example)
    You got that right.

cough
    tough
    bough

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I love how, when I was growing up, the planet was always pronounced like "your anus," but now I always hear it pronounced "you're a nus" by any scientist I see on TV.
    you can thank technology for that - when deep space probes finally reached Uranus, they discovered heretofore unseen dark rings encircling the planet (not unlike the other gas giants in the solar system) - they didn't want to release a press statement that sounded like they'd just discovered dark rings around your anus.... paraphrased from George Carlin
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Versailles, Indiana is pronounced 'ver-SAYLZ' and I think the same name in France is 'Ver-SY'. that's how it's pronounced in the Al Stewart song "Palace of Versailles."

and one of my school psychologists pronounces 'sequencing' as 'see-KWEN-sing'.

I just wanna know how to pronounce the name 'Roine'
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Why do some people pronounce the title of their father's sister as "ant" whilst () some pronounce it as "ont?"
    that's a great one. I've always said 'ant'. but all of my parents' sisters are gone so it doesn't matter to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I read it as 'royn' izzat rawng?

davenport or couch?

sofa

Oddly enough, even though "davenport" takes its name from a Massachusetts company that made furniture, it's a Midwestern term.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 02-25-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    You want to learn about pronunciation from people who say "Joizey."
    Well, this Pennsylvanian grew up right near "Lah-fay-ETT" College.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Actually, the only logic I've been able to determine is that it seems to be the most concise of the major languages.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Versailles, Indiana is pronounced 'ver-SAYLZ' and I think the same name in France is 'Ver-SY'. that's how it's pronounced in the Al Stewart song "Palace of Versailles."
    Try living near Pittsburgh. Western PA, in general. They say 'ver-SAYLZ' and DuBois is "Do Boyz" (imagine the jokes). I'm surprised the got Duquesne right.

davenport or couch?
    I have a sofa, but my mother-in-law has a davenport. Of course, she's 93 and still refers to "colored people." I always ask her what color they were.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Of course, she's 93 and still refers to "colored people." I always ask her what color they were.
    Maybe we need to ask the National Association for the Advancement of <something you're not allowed to say anymore> for a ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe we need to ask the National Association for the Advancement of <something you're not allowed to say anymore> for a ruling.
    Might as well ask the Black Panthers, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

There is a Berlin (BER-lin) Massachusetts and a Calais (CAL-is) Maine, and contrary to popular belief, there is no such place as WorCHester, MA.