Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP Francesco Di Giacomo

... and yes, seeing Banco and Francesco at ProgFest 2000 did blow me away - still there was something *electric* in that first performance at NEARfest 2001. it felt like we were all in a wave and we were about to *surge* onto the stage.

Oh no. This breaks my heart so much. Such an amazing talent. I am so thankful that I got to see him sing live once, and always hoped to see him again. His passionate vocal delivery was an undeniable force of nature. True poetry in performance. Long may he ride in the glory of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by laurainspace View Post
    ... and yes, seeing Banco and Francesco at ProgFest 2000 did blow me away - still there was something *electric* in that first performance at NEARfest 2001. it felt like we were all in a wave and we were about to *surge* onto the stage.
    Banco in 2001 is one of my personal peaks in terms of festival sets.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

So sad. This is very bad news, Italian prog is mourning in sorrow.

Such a great voice and presense. And another progressive rock icon is gone. So very sad. RIP Francesco.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laurainspace View Post
    one of my truly great prog stories:

I met Francesco di Giacomo in a hot tub.
    If you like, I can add a "writer's embellishment" to your post, as I've done recently in a couple of other threads.

Seriously, though - great story! I'm really bummed that while a got to a few of the early progressive music fests in the US, and went to several of the latter day NEARfests, I missed all the earlier NEARfests and one or two ProgFests, and thus never got to see Banco live.

But they've been spinning pretty much all the time in my car the last few days.

So sad ... my favorite Singer ... RIP Franceso!.
    In 2001, saw then in Panamá: great concert, had some words with him ... a special person!.

Sad day!.

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Frowning face.

One of the best performances at NEARfest I'd ever seen was their set at NF01. I was pretty much exhausted and progged out by the end of the weekend, and I wasn't really excited about Banco. But from the first minute or two of music, to Francesco's triumphant entrance, I snapped out of it immediately and was entranced for the next hour and a half (or however long it was). Amazing performance. Amazing singer.

RIP.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    the first minute or two of music ...
    I believe that was the opening of ... di Terra.

quite possibly the greatest classical/prog orchestral piece ...

[I believe that was the opening of ... di Terra. ]

Yes, the opening of di Terra was played as entrance music before the band actually took the stage. However, this was a recording and not the band themselves playing it. Still a great way to get the crowd ready though.

[quite possibly the greatest classical/prog orchestral piece ... ]

I'll second that. It's certainly my personal favorite. It's also probably my favorite Banco album and that's saying something. I can't think of any other album that so seamlessly blends prog, jazz, classical and even snippets of folk and electronic into one awesome musical blend. This album is just so timeless.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-25-2014 at 11:19 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

For anybody in or near Italy who wants to pay their respects in person - this from Alessandro Papotto.

The opening means:
    "I expect you for a toast"
    Francesco Di Giacomo.

---------------------------------

"Ti aspetto per un brindisi"
    Francesco Di Giacomo.

Giovedi dalle 15 alle 19, alla Sala delle Bandiere di Palazzo Rospigliosi a Zagarolo.
    Non portare fiori, ma - se vuoi - aiuta Emergency che troverai in un punto di raccolta sul posto.
    Dal parcheggio della piazza del Mercato (Via della Valle del Formale) ci sarŕ un servizio di navetta per andare a Palazzo Rospigliosi.

Strange and sad news. Left me dumbfounded when I heard it, as if such a thing was inconceivable. People die in car crashes all the time, but...him? I was fortunate to meet him once, the year Banco played Nearfest. Alberto Piras of Deus Ex Machina introduced us. There he stood, a short bearded powerhouse of a man, still a giant. He looked like a biker, actually, someone who might just kick yer ass. I shook his hand and babbled something I cant remember. Then we talked about Alberto, who stood there smiling. Francesco said "O yes, Ive known Alberto since he was a little boy", and held his hand low to indicate height. Mundane and unremarkable to those who don't know, unforgettable to me, a great moment, especially in light of the show they played later that night. Banco was one of the greatest bands Ive ever seen.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    Strange and sad news. Left me dumbfounded when I heard it, as if such a thing was inconceivable. People die in car crashes all the time, but...him?
    Yeah, it's a bit as if the Spirit of Christmas Present had died.

I'm so envious of all these people who saw them live, and met the band members. Was listening to Darwin yesterday, and it really does have some of the MOST classic prog sounding keyboard blasts and other sounds. Such a masterpiece that I'm at least happy to be listening to again.

Such terrible news. I still recall Banco at NF 2008, a magical night. RIP Franceso
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

E sarň io l'anfora dove tu poserai le tue chiare lacrime....

I went to get a slice of pizza at a local Italian restaurant earlier today. The guy working there had a tv on. It took me a little while to figure out it was some kind of Italian channel. For some reason we locked into a stare. I suppose he felt on the defensive. He finally said to me it's just another language. I just something like "I didn't say anything. I was just trying to figure out the language." He said "did you?" and I said "Italian right?" He said "yes." I asked him if he speaks Italian and he said "yes." I told him I only know two words in Italian(which I used when I met Banco). I was tempted to ask him if he heard of Francesco Di Giacomo or Banco but I figured he probably didn't but if he did his head would explode if he did and I asked him that question. LOL.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [I believe that was the opening of ... di Terra. ]

Yes, the opening of di Terra was played as entrance music before the band actually took the stage. However, this was a recording and not the band themselves playing it. Still a great way to get the crowd ready though.
    Yeah, I'm thinking of the actual song they opened with. I don't remember it, just that it was very energetic and exciting, and that it took Francesco like a minute to walk out from behind the drumkit, and when he started singing ...

I don't remember what song it was. I wasn't super familiar with Banco at the time (still aren't .. at least not enough to name song titles), so I didn't know it at the time. I just know that I was hooked. That's a concert I'd like revisit with a time machine.
    flute juice

Di Giacomo was in a few Fellini movies, including Roma:

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    Um, NSFFW! dude... sheesh.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    I definitely remember spotting him in Amarcord for about five seconds, but it's definitely him.

I think I saw Satyricon 5-10 years ago, and thought for sure I saw him for a minute or two, but I couldn't find any reference to it on the Internet back then (though there is now), probably since it was uncredited in the film (even though he had a speaking part), so I forgot about it until seeing it mentioned in the recent obituaries. Apparently he might have had a more prominent role in a 1979 movie called "Org" but it looks like it wasn't ever released on VHS or DVD.

http://video.repubblica.it/spettacol.../157543/156036

ten years ago

a beautiful unplugged

ciao Francesco

Francesco starred in three Fellini's movies:

Satyricon ('69)
    Roma ('72)
    Amarcord ('73)

Ciao

yes ... great to get a glimpse of the farewell "brindisi" (toast) Vittorio offers Francesco.

also note Aldo with Franco Mussida of PFM ... the Big Three - now down to two