Thread: Dave Holland - Prism (2013 album)

Dave Holland - Prism (2013 album)

Anybody heard this yet? I just got it, and I'm pretty amazed at how good it is. I have several of his albums from the '70s to the 2000's, and I think this may be my new favorite. I think a lot of people here would dig it.

Here's a live version of the first track on the album, which is probably the one that's closest to the kind of thing people here would like.

"Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Yes, I have this and listened to it a lot when it first came out as I thought it was excellent. I think I may just listen to it again now you've reminded me of it!

It's on the list.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I skipped this one; I'm not particularly a Eubanks fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    I have several of his albums from the '70s
    I hope one of them is Conference of The Birds; for me, THIS is the one!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^ Yes, Conference of the Birds is awesome!

And I would not have thought I'd want to listen to Jay Leno's guitarist, but I am really enjoying his contributions to this album.

I have it and Eubanks does not play anywhere near what you might be used to from him. He's earthy and ragged and really very good.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Yeah, I thought Eubanks was playing some really interesting and different shit. I wasn't exactly shocked though; I had a fusion album of his from the '80s called "Sundance" that was pretty good and I knew he was Leno's bandleader and whipping boy just for the money.

Haven't bought a Holland album since "Conference of the Birds," but I'm not surprised he's still making quality music. I just can't afford to be much of a music consumer these days, which can make PE a frustrating place to hang out at.

One of my favorite Holland albums: Gateway 2. Haven't heard this newer one though.

Saw these guys a while back, and Yeah, I own this and love it.

Also, Eubanks is a monster. I've seen him a few times, and he is very much in love with Mahavishnu and the early 70's fusion stuff....

Didnt rate his drumming in Judas Priest!

Back when I actually watched late night TV, I caught a bit of Eubanks ripping into a Mahavishnu cover at the beginning of a commercial break on Leno. I think it might have been "Meeting of the Spirits," but I can't remember now. Of course, they cut back in just as the band was finishing up, and I was cringing that I didn't get to see the rest of the performance. Anyway, I knew he had to be somewhat cool at that point.

Gateway 2 is excellent as well. I need to pull that out and listen to it. It's been a while.

Excellent album. I've been listening to it for the past couple weeks. Although Eubanks' playing didn't blow me away, I came away respecting his intentions. And I really like his McLaughlin-like tune Evolution.

But the two Craig Taborn compositions are the highlights - "Spiral" and "The True Meaning of Determination." If you're a fan of Gentle Giant-esque counterpoint, you need to hear "Spiral." Taborn is my new keyboard hero.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Yeah, I thought Eubanks was playing some really interesting and different shit. I wasn't exactly shocked though; I had a fusion album of his from the '80s called "Sundance" that was pretty good and I knew he was Leno's bandleader and whipping boy just for the money.

Haven't bought a Holland album since "Conference of the Birds," but I'm not surprised he's still making quality music. I just can't afford to be much of a music consumer these days, which can make PE a frustrating place to hang out at.
    Yeah, Sundance an excellent fusion album.
    I have the vinyl and Cd.

If you dig Eubanks on Prism, then also check him out on Dave Holland's Extensions from 1989.

This is pre-Leno Eubanks digging in real deep.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    If you dig Eubanks on Prism, then also check him out on Dave Holland's Extensions from 1989.
    I actually have that album but have only listened to it a couple times. I'll try to fix that this weekend.

Prism is on my 2013 Top 10 list. I was surprised at how fiery this release is; very powerful stuff.

I don't like it as much as Extensions, but Prism is a fine album. Taborn and Harland are great players.

Don't have the cd, but grabbed a couple shows off Dime. Haven't had chance to listen to them though.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Saw their first (and only North American show) in Ottawa before they headed off to Europe in the summer of 2012. Amazing. They later came back to play North America, but it was great to ear them still ironing out the snags and finding their way together as a group.

Here's a review of that show.. Also, a review of the album, for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    Conference of the Birds is awesome!
    I caught the open rehearsals they held at Sam Rivers's loft Studio Rivbea.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Just got this the other day, killer stuff. It ranks right up there with Simon Phillips Protocol II.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

There are some amazing live recordings of the Dave Holland trio from 1991-92 (with Kevin Eubanks and Marvin "Smitty" Smith). I heard their smokin' concert at the New Morning in Paris live on the radio in 1992 : a fabulous performance ! Nothing of this particular line-up has been published officially, alas. Prism, or the World Trio, are nice but not nearly on the same level .

P.S. : however, their 2013 show at Clermont-Ferrand (recently broadcast on Mezzo) is really good.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 05-27-2014 at 01:47 AM.

This album is amazing and one of my favorites from last year. Taborn is a god on the keys, he's so inventive. This group just jells so well! Choir is my favorite composition
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa