Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: I HATE SNOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have back issues where I'm feeling the effects of shoveling three days later. I'd rather go on a nice long walk to achieve an invigorated state.
    I hear ya. I'm one of the lucky ones who was always able to easily crack my back to keep it loose. Also, I tend to avoid excessive back-and-forth back-bending and mostly use my arms for shoveling, while switching sides. I'm always making sure I evenly distribute the exertion.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I hear ya. I'm one of the lucky ones who was always able to easily crack my back to keep it loose. Also, I tend to avoid excessive back-and-forth back-bending and mostly use my arms for shoveling, while switching sides. I'm always making sure I evenly distribute the exertion.
    I can crack my back and/or sometimes can get my wife to do it for me, but I have an injury from about 15 years ago that is never completely alleviated by doing that. Some doctors would probably say I shouldn't be doing any shoveling at all or shouldn't cut my own firewood, but what fun would life be then?
    <sig out of order>

Well, the good thing for bad backs is that it's been so cold, the snow is a nice light powder. Pretty much just pushes away. At least here on NY/NJ border it is.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Pretty much just pushes away.
    And, if you're one of the unlucky ones, the wind blows it right back.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It's snowing again here in central NJ. Not a lot, but the street is covered again. The other day was kind of funny as I went out to the parking lot at work to go home, and nearly went right past my vehicle. Because of all the salt on the roads, it nearly turned my maroon colored vehicle completely white. I didn't recognize my own car! I was hoping to wash all that off the car this weekend at the local car wash, but we get snow again. Guess I'll have a white vehicle for a while.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Because of all the salt on the roads, it nearly turned my maroon colored vehicle completely white. I didn't recognize my own car! I was hoping to wash all that off the car this weekend at the local car wash, but we get snow again. Guess I'll have a white vehicle for a while.
    Road salt is the worst possible thing for your car's body and undercarriage. I would'nt leave it on there for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I dread walking on icy sidewalks.Even with proper footware i walk like an old man,taking small steps, trying to be sure of my footing. I'm a big clumsy galoot and ever since i slipped on a patch of ice a couple of years ago and nearly cracked my noggin, i'm super cautious walking on ice/sleet.
    You can buy cleats that clip on to your boots and dig into the ice to give you traction. I also saw a pair of boots this year that had built in cleats on hinges. If you flipped the hinge one way the cleats were out and ready to dig in. If you flipped the hinge the other way the cleats folded into the sole of the boot for walking on regular surfaces. They were pretty cool! Just Google "ice cleats" and there are all sorts of options.

I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have back issues where I'm feeling the effects of shoveling three days later. I'd rather go on a nice long walk to achieve an invigorated state.
    A good ergonomic shovel makes a huge difference. If you don't have one you should get one. I also have back problems and had a hard time shovelling. I bought an ergonomic shovel and it made things much easier and more comfortable. You don't have to lean over the shovel to lift it. Now it's my asthma that's more likely to cause me problems than my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Road salt is the worst possible thing for your car's body and undercarriage. I would'nt leave it on there for too long.
    Not to mention the ground water, which is of much greater significance.

Locally, it seems like the drivers get paid for using all of their salt. I see the salt trucks well after the roads are clear and in no need for more. It's like they're told not to come back to the dispatch until they've used it all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Locally, it seems like the drivers get paid for using all of their salt. I see the salt trucks well after the roads are clear and in no need for more. It's like they're told not to come back to the dispatch until they've used it all.
    Your tax dollars hard at work.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    A good ergonomic shovel makes a huge difference. If you don't have one you should get one. I also have back problems and had a hard time shovelling. I bought an ergonomic shovel and it made things much easier and more comfortable. You don't have to lean over the shovel to lift it. Now it's my asthma that's more likely to cause me problems than my back.
    Yeah, I've been meaning to get one of those. I do have one of those big scoop things which is helpful if there's not too much snow - I can sometimes just use that to push it into a pile and hit it with the snowblower later.
    <sig out of order>

You can buy cleats that clip on to your boots and dig into the ice to give you traction. I also saw a pair of boots this year that had built in cleats on hinges. If you flipped the hinge one way the cleats were out and ready to dig in. If you flipped the hinge the other way the cleats folded into the sole of the boot for walking on regular surfaces. They were pretty cool! Just Google "ice cleats" and there are all sorts of options.
    Thanks. I'll look into this.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

If you want to know about surviving in winter just ask a Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Thanks. I'll look into this.
    Just makes sure you take them off before walking on those lovely hardwood floors.

OK, so Saturday's snow totaled barely an inch for me, but far more than the "flurries" that were predicted. For my town, that makes 7 snow falls this winter, plus one very fun ice storm. I recall the winter of 95-96 having 17 storms in my area, at least that was what they were reporting. That was a far worse winter, as many of the storms started off as snow and ended up as ice storms. But this one is hardly close to being over. I won't be happy until the calendar gets to around St. Patty's Day...

...and then soon after that, everyone will be bitching and moaning about their allergies.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

...and then soon after that, everyone will be bitching and moaning about their allergies.
    You're just gloating because you're building an empire with all the cake you're making this winter!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

That is, IMHO, the only redeeming feature of winter. As an asthmatic who suffers greatly in the spring and fall, I do admit to looking forward to the first frost each year, and most years I enjoy the cold weather...but I'd be happy with things just hovering around 0C. I can do without these -20C days we've had this year...and I can always do without the snow.

...and I can always do without the snow.
    With a handle like yours that's no surprise.
    <sig out of order>

With a handle like yours that's no surprise.
    LOL!

Fuck me. It's snowing in Charlotte. And I didn't buy any milk. How the fuck am I going to survive the snow without milk?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Fuck me. It's snowing in Charlotte. And I didn't buy any milk. How the fuck am I going to survive the snow without milk?
    Got any lactating neighbors?

Bring the cow/goat inside.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Fuck me. It's snowing in Charlotte.
    Fuck You? It's snowing in Charlotte. How do you think she feels?

That was the correct answer.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.