Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trucks and Haynes leaving ABB

Trucks and Haynes leaving ABB

Yes, you are reading that correctly. Both just released statements that they are leaving the ABB at the end of 2014 to concentrate on their primary projects. I know I could post a link but trust me there are plenty out there being reported.

Lets hope they can work something out with Dickey to bring him back and perhaps even Zakk Wylde.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post

Lets hope they can work something out with Dickey to bring him back and perhaps even Zakk Wylde.
    Zakk Wylde?! Really? No thanks. I know he played with them once back in 93, I've never heard the show, but everyone I know who has says it's terrible. It was even voted in Hittin' The Note, the ABB fanzine, as the worst show ever where they had a guest sit in.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Zakk Wylde?! Really? No thanks. I know he played with them once back in 93, I've never heard the show, but everyone I know who has says it's terrible. It was even voted in Hittin' The Note, the ABB fanzine, as the worst show ever where they had a guest sit in.
    I have that show. If you're really into Zakk, it's great. If you're really into the ABB, it's almost embarrassing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Zakk can play in that style. They would need to convince him to tone down the squealies and such.

Here is a link. Looks like every single news source is citing the same article.

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/war..._brothers_band

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Maybe they want to focus on bands that actually release new material.

Zakk can play in that style. They would need to convince him to tone down the squealies and such.
    He'd also have to learn how to turn off that damn flanger or whatever it is he's using to get that processed guitar tone. Doesn't work too well with a band like the Allmans.

I'm actually listening to the Whipping Post from that show right now on Youtube:

His solo is alright, but like I said, he's got that processed guitar tone, which works for styles of music (and only when you use it occasionally), and I don't think that works too well with the Allmans variety of blues/rock.

Interesting that it's Zakk playing the first solo, since he's depping for Dickey, who traditionally played the second solo in the song.

More Mule is great.....not so much TTB, imho.

Here's You Don't Love Me from the same show. Zakk takes the first solo. Heavy, over the top vibrato, and as usual, too many triplets and 32nd notes.

Banned
    I just read the news on Facebook. Who on Earth could replace them? Btw, here's proof that maybe Zakk is the right man for the job.

Just to add my two cents about Zakk playing Allman Bros. stuff. I'm not that big a fan of his BLS projects and with Ozzy, his work with him was right up there. I'm not overly familiar with the Allman Bros. stuff but know enough. I was going through some channels late night maybe about a month ago and there was Zakk on P.B.S. with some guest musicians doing all Allman bros. stuff with, of course ;-), a bunch of over the top soloing ( he was playing the same electric/acoustic on everything). Not a huge fan of his but I was mesmerized by the entire show, the music he was playing that was not his usual style, and I had to watch it to till the end.

Yes, you are reading that correctly. Both just released statements that they are leaving the ABB at the end of 2014 to concentrate on their primary projects. I know I could post a link but trust me there are plenty out there being reported.

Betts “retired” for a while (amid rumors of more alcohol problems), but apparently is back on the road and doing shows. I had tickets to see him when his “retirement” was announced a few years ago and all of his booked shows were cancelled. I have his live album from a few years ago, and although his playing is good, it seems a bit on the sloppy side in places compared to what he used to do.

It is too bad that Haynes and Trucks are splitting, but I can’t say that it totally surprises me. The ABB has pretty much just done sporadic shows here and there the last few years while The Mule and Tedechi / Trucks have both been very busy both touring and putting out new music. I still think the last Allmans album with the two of them “Hitting The Note” is one of the best albums the band ever did.

Steve Sly

Zakk doesn't have the soul to fit in. He's all technique and little heart.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Something weird is going on. Seems to be a wild coincidence that after all these years, they both decide to leave at the same time. Plus last week or so there was a rumour that Oteil (bass) was leaving, and Gregg had to clear the air and said that he was offered a job (I think with the Zac Brown Band) but didn't take it.

Where there's smoke there's fire....

Crap. There ends the best ABB since the original...maybe even better. Trucks and Haynes, aside from being great on their own, we're even more special together, fitting together hand in glove. I don't know who they'll find that can be up to this level....

...I also find it odd, since the ABB is only a commitment of about a month or so each year....surely there's time for it?

Clearly not, but I have to say I wish them both the best in their own careers, of course but I am very worried about the future of the ABB. I'm still working my way through Beacon 2013 and have preordered the rest of the 2013 tour....it's just that good (trumping the already very good 2011 Beacon run). I can' think of any combination of guitarists - because it' snot just about how good they are individually, it' show well they mesh together as well - that will be able to take their place.

As long as they don't bring back Dickey Betts....unlike you, Jay, I think that would be a mistake. Even if he was sober, and even though he wrote some real ABB classics, as a guitarist, he's just not at the same level as either Haynes or a Trucks...not at this point in time. They need to somehow find some fresh new faces....or, perhaps, consider retirement, IMO.

Man, am i disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Where there's smoke there's fire....
    Or maybe there's no smoke and people just want to move on.

I would suspect that the infrequent playing/recording with the ABB is a driving factor. It's probably becoming more inconvenient than anything. They've been doing the same thing for quite a while. When you think about it, Warren has been with them since 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe they want to focus on bands that actually release new material.
    I used to think that until I started digging into their life show from the past couple years. Like the a Grateful Dead, I can listen to the same music time and time again, the playing is so good. And also, they do add new material to each tour...not necessarily new ABB material but material new to the ABB...and that' stood enough for me....

This is sad, but as people have said they play very sporadically and this means more time for Warren to be on his own.

I see this as the end of the ABB as Gregg has said he would never play with Dickey again.

A friend recently saw Dickey and got the instant recording at the gig. I have not heard it, but my brother told me Dickey was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Betts “retired” for a while (amid rumors of more alcohol problems), but apparently is back on the road and doing shows. I had tickets to see him when his “retirement” was announced a few years ago and all of his booked shows were cancelled. I have his live album from a few years ago, and although his playing is good, it seems a bit on the sloppy side in places compared to what he used to do.

It is too bad that Haynes and Trucks are splitting, but I can’t say that it totally surprises me. The ABB has pretty much just done sporadic shows here and there the last few years while The Mule and Tedechi / Trucks have both been very busy both touring and putting out new music. I still think the last Allmans album with the two of them “Hitting The Note” is one of the best albums the band ever did.

Steve Sly
    Sporadic shows ? Two weeks at the Bescon each year plus another 15-20 shows elsewhere? That' snot sporadic IMO; that's band led by some aging guys who want to tour still, but can't handle the rigor of more extensive gigging. But they play 25–30 nights a year....these days, for many other bands, that's as good as it gets...

Since they're not leaving until the end of this year, it wouldn't surprise me if the original band members decide to call it a day after that, too. The fact that both guitarists have announced their departure simultaneously and so far in advance makes me think there's more to it involving the entire band.

There'd be no shortage of capable players wanting to join the ABB, but it would be tough to rebuild the necessary chemistry in a band that doesn't tour extensively anymore. Maybe they'll just put the band "on ice" and bring it out with Warren and Derek for special occasions and such. Warren's announcement seems to leave that open as a possibility.

OK, so Dicky is out. Warren and Derek and busy on other things. Zakk is probably inappropriate.

So who are the other options that Greg can tap for a dual guitar role in a forthcoming ABB show?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    So who are the other options that Greg can tap for a dual guitar role in a forthcoming ABB show?
    If I were Gregg, I'd be thinkin' real hard about Luther Dickinson, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    If I were Gregg, I'd be thinkin' real hard about Luther Dickinson, for one.
    I'd second that and add Jimmy Herring and the deal is done.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I'd second that and add Jimmy Herring and the deal is done.
    I like the way you think, Bubba.

Congrats to Warren and Derek. When you graduate from ABB University, the sky's the limit.

Zakk Wylde? You gotta be fuckin' kidding!