Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD - Grobschnitt : Rockpommel's Land

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Featured CD - Grobschnitt : Rockpommel's Land

A classic...

Per Allmusic:
    Rockpommel's Land represents the height of Grobschnitt's career, combining all of the elements of the more palliated and subdued side of progressive rock onto one solid concept album. While comparisons to Yes appear in both the lyrics and the instrumentation, the band still manages to instill a genuine magic to the four tracks through heavy keyboard employment and by conjuring up some of the finest symphonic texturing that Grobschnitt has ever played. The fairy tale is about a fantastical giant bird that befriends a small boy, and the two travel to mystical places and far-off lands together, experiencing their share of adventure and misfortune along the way. Even though this imaginative story line is well-suited to the fantasy- like world of progressive rock, the instruments easily supersede any part of the album's magical anecdote. This is not to say that the music doesn't coincide appropriately with the tale -- in fact, the music clings quite well to the lyrics -- but the effectiveness of the synthesizer, the percussion work, and the other electronics paints a more descriptive picture than the words themselves. Both "Ernie's Reise" and "Severity Town" introduce Wildswein's soft vocals and the finesse of both the electric and acoustic guitar. The last track, a 20-minute musical excursion of vivid synth work, relaxed but moving string and drum collaborations, and ever-changing rhythms, is well-worth waiting for, wrapping up the album with each member exposing their individual talents. Past Grobschnitt albums have revealed the band's whimsical, sometimes humorous approach to making music, exhibited in both the lyrics and in the chimeric sound of the instruments, but Rockpommel's Land is a finely tuned, well-focused display of the band's poignancy and musical capacity.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/rockpo...d-mw0000487646

Regards,

Duncan

This isn't my favorite Grobschnitt (that would be a toss-up between Solar Music and Illegal), but it is still a very impressive work.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

for one reason or other I have never purchased this album...maybe it is the time to look it up again...

btw is the album cover one of the Roger Dean's creations?

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    btw is the album cover one of the Roger Dean's creations?
    Artwork is by Heinz Dofflein, who also worked with Guru-Guru, Birth Control, Curly Curve, Streetmark, Faithful Breath and Electric Sandwich among others.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    for one reason or other I have never purchased this album...maybe it is the time to look it up again...
    If you do so I would wholeheartedly recommend to get the Grobschnitt 2010 Live cd. At least if you are deadset on getting the exact recording of Rockpommel's Land. The 2010 live cd (which I thought was probably for 50% not done live but in a studio, untill I saw them do this live with the same sound fidelity and minute attention to detail) sound amazing, has a short introduction plus a new preface and epilogue song, which are really lovely. This has now become my preferred choice if I want to listen to Rockpommel's Land, although I still cherish the original studio-version.

It is still a mystery to me why they didn't record the Rockpommel's Land shows they did in Hagen with the orchestra because that show was also pretty amazing.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yeah, I can see where that record cover would make you want to pick it up, and be curious about the music inside. I never saw it in a music store in my area of the woods however.
    I agree that overall, it's a bit different from most of their other albums - I just meant the core sounds that I think make people like or dislike Grobschnitt are present on this album.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I'm a big fan of "words", but I've always had an issue with those contained here

Where was Pete Sinfield when he was needed??????

BG
    "A small boy was found making fudge with a gigantic bird..."

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    If you do so I would wholeheartedly recommend to get the Grobschnitt 2010 Live cd. At least if you are deadset on getting the exact recording of Rockpommel's Land. The 2010 live cd (which I thought was probably for 50% not done live but in a studio, untill I saw them do this live with the same sound fidelity and minute attention to detail) sound amazing, has a short introduction plus a new preface and epilogue song, which are really lovely. This has now become my preferred choice if I want to listen to Rockpommel's Land, although I still cherish the original studio-version.

It is still a mystery to me why they didn't record the Rockpommel's Land shows they did in Hagen with the orchestra because that show was also pretty amazing.
    Plus you can get the 2010 concert packaged with a 2008 concert in a 2CD set.

It was recorded just not released in full. But there is a EP of the opening song (Symphony of Light) and the closing song (Beyond) from this concert.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It was recorded just not released in full. But there is a EP of the opening song (Symphony of Light) and the closing song (Beyond) from this concert.
    If it was fully recorded then it was only audio as I saw no cameras. Nevertheless, it makes it even more puzzling that it wasn't released. And wasn't the EP pulled on the same day that it was released?

If it was fully recorded then it was only audio as I saw no cameras. Nevertheless, it makes it even more puzzling that it wasn't released. And wasn't the EP pulled on the same day that it was released?
    The EP is a rather peculiar release, why the hell did they only put 10 minutes of the concerts out?
    But it is out there and still easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I saw that, but I would love to have a complete version and not just an EP.

I don't believe it is a Roger Dean original; if it isn't, it was clearly influenced by him.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

This is the first album I heard by Grobschnitt. And it's the reason why I didn't listen to another one until about 10 years later.

Thankfully, it's not representative of all of their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    This is the first album I heard by Grobschnitt. And it's the reason why I didn't listen to another one until about 10 years later.

Simply for curiosity / conversation, what is your favorite Grobschnitt album?

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Simply for curiosity / conversation, what is your favorite Grobschnitt album?
    I can't say that I much care for the band. The Solar Music Live album is the only one that I ever play.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

It's the first Grobschnitt album I heard too. And it's the reason I have almost everything by the band (except some of the live and archival stuff released by Eroc - there's just too much and it's very expensive. And some is oop.)

To me, it IS representative of Grobschnitt as far as the vocals and guitar sound. I happen to love Wildschwein's vocals, though I know some people have a problem with them for some reason. And I love Lupo's guitar sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    To me, it IS representative of Grobschnitt as far as the vocals and guitar sound. I happen to love Wildschwein's vocals, though I know some people have a problem with them for some reason. And I love Lupo's guitar sound.
    I probably didn't use the most accurate wording. Of course it's a "representative" album - it's easily their best known album. It's just that they do have other albums that don't have the same sound/feel of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ...some of the live and archival stuff released by Eroc...
    Who was a member of PE several years ago.

Not sure if he's here on PEv3 under a different name...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Eroc is a member over on the Hoffman site and posts there sometimes under Eroc. As far as Rockpommels Land I think it is great but like there Solar Music Live better. And the Silver Mint Series of archival concerts are killer when the series ends there will be 56 CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

He is on the Steve Hoffman music forum. Posting under Eroc.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Funny how many people seem to dislike this album. To me, it's one of my favourite by any group! I first got this on album when it was first released, but now have it on CD. One of the most beautiful symphonic albums I have. Members of the Grobschnitt families reformed, along with the original singer, a few years back and recorded a VERY good LIVE Rockpommel's Land. I recommend that as well, even though I believe the only original is member is the singer.

Just an all time classic in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Funny how many people seem to dislike this album. To me, it's one of my favourite by any group! I first got this on album when it was first released, but now have it on CD. One of the most beautiful symphonic albums I have. Members of the Grobschnitt families reformed, along with the original singer, a few years back and recorded a VERY good LIVE Rockpommel's Land. I recommend that as well, even though I believe the only original is member is the singer.

Willi Wildschwein and Toni Moff Mollo are the two original members still in the band (although Toni didn't start as a vocalist (he did the lightshow). Milla Kapolke is in the
    band since '79, and the bands longest serving bass player. Admiral Top Sahne joined '85 on drums. So you can say it's still a valid line up (and you also have Willis and Millas
    children in the band).

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post

Not funny at all. I discovered Grobschnitt at the beginning, and at the time of this release, they were my favorite group and I thought they could do no wrong. This album proved me wrong. It was a huge disappointment and I still don't like it to this day. Nothing wrong with the sound, the recording, the musicianship, the vocals, but it's the material that makes this LP the giant turd that it is. If you want some good Grobschnitt, I suggest Jumbo, Ballermann, the s/t debut, Merry Go Round, or Solar Music Live.

Yeah, I can see where that record cover would make you want to pick it up, and be curious about the music inside. I never saw it in a music store in my area of the woods however.

I'm a big fan of "words", but I've always had an issue with those contained here

Where was Pete Sinfield when he was needed??????

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It's a great homage to Yes and Genesis. The words are goofy and veer into twee, but then Grobschnitt never took themselves all that seriously. If you can get past the lyrics, the music is gorgeous.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.