Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Guns N' Roses- Yea or Nay?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Of course, mentions of AW are only complete if a pic is shown with his 18-String bass:

R.I.P. again Woody, thanks for all those woolly mammoth bass notes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

They are quite possibly among my two or three least favourite acts of my total 34+ years of listening intensely to rock music. I'd rather listen attentively to the whole of Philosophy of the World by The Shaggs for some eight or nine times in a single row than have to hear that fried lizard's excuse for a "voice" ever again.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    They are quite possibly among my two or three least favourite acts of my total 34+ years of listening intensely to rock music. I'd rather listen attentively to the whole of Philosophy of the World by The Shaggs for some eight or nine times in a single row than have to hear that fried lizard's excuse for a "voice" ever again.
    Man, that's a lot of "My Pal Foot Foot".

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'd rather listen attentively to the whole of Philosophy of the World by The Shaggs for some eight or nine times in a single row .........
    Shoving a cheese-grater up your ass will achieve the same effect but be slightly less painful

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Shoving a cheese-grater up your ass will achieve the same effect but be slightly less painful
    Look, seeing that leather-panzy sunglassed-assy guy queek out da "Heaven's do'OAR Ouy-Ouy Ej-Ej Ea'rh" beats cheese-graters no matter where you stick them.

BTW, here's a private animation creation to go with "My Pal Foot-Foot", which of course was the top hit of that Shaggs record:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

BTW, here's a private animation creation to go with "My Pal Foot-Foot", which of course was the top hit of that Shaggs record:
    I love this proto-RIO!!

And a lot of thump.....clank...thump....clank......... thumpclank..thumpthump...............clank.......

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    From the moment I saw Slash's hat (not to mention that he called himself "Slash") it was a big, fat Nay.

However, I've just learned from Wikipedia that Slash's father is the artist responsible for this:

He also did some Joni Mitchell covers, but I'm sure which ones so don't want to post the wrong ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    However, I've just learned from Wikipedia that Slash's father is the artist responsible for this:

He also did some Joni Mitchell covers, but I'm sure which ones so don't want to post the wrong ones.
    At a guess, her debut and Ladies of the Canyon.

From the moment I saw Slash's hat (not to mention that he called himself "Slash") it was a big, fat Nay.
    Slash was one of the cool things about that band. They could have actually earned that RRHoF spot if not for Axl.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Slash was one of the cool things about that band. They could have actually earned that RRHoF spot if not for Axl.
    I always thought Slash looked idiotic (Axl too) - I have to admit, though, that I've hardly heard any G 'n' R aside from what was played to death on the radio back when they were around. I just wasn't interested.

I always thought this was NY's best album sleeve artwork.... Too bad something's terribly wrong with the sonic production...

Thisis an album that should probably receive a remastering and remixing...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Thisis an album that should probably receive a remastering and remixing...
    It, and the three after, have been remastered.

BTW, OP, I don't think you're in the minority in not liking them.

When my friend's first daughter was born he told us they'd named her Alexa Rose. I asked if he was a Guns 'n' Roses fan, and he suddenly realized what they'd done.

I shouldn't have asked (I knew he was most likely not a fan), but it just came out.

I consider 'Appetite' to be one of the best hard rock albums of all time. It was a monster when it came out and a staple of my youth. I'd be perfectly happy never to hear another song by them again though
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Negatory!

First impression, I liked the guitar player, hated the singer.

Saw them open for Aerosmith and Purple, think GnR had some clips of that Giants stadium show in one of their videos.

LA Guns was the shit for me, did not like that they took part of that name for their own band.

Finally found a good photo of Axl:

“Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Well, not to undermine Axl's exemplary displays of douchebaggery, but I have to support him on the one where the guy threw the big rock/bone looking thing at him.

Jefferson James
    There are a lot of details crammed into the songs on the debut and I can still hear "Jungle" and love it -- to me, an excellent, excellent track. Slash's guitar solo on "November Rain" always reminded me of Henry McCullough but the song isn't all that compelling.

And that, waiters and gentlemen, is the sum total of my love for G-n-R.

Stuff like "Patience" tries mine.

Personally, I wasn't a fan and never had much interest in them.

However, when G&R first broke big, rock 'n roll was at a low ebb. It had mostly devolved into
    - the corporate rock of Journey, Bon Jovi, or Foreigner, which one writer dubbed "power-schmaltz";
    - the grotesque self-caricature of L.A. hair-metal;
    - or punk, which had yet to make its way into the mainstream and looked like it never would.
    And so Appetite for Destruction was something of a breath of fresh air when it came out - a cross between Zeppelin and the Stones, and a welcome resurgence of straightahead meat-'n-potatoes hard rock. Of course, the band itself immediately succumbed to epic head-swell, infighting, and drug problems, and almost instantly dried up as any kind of influential creative force. But their first album has a certain minor, yet definite historical importance.

Yeah, it definitely wasn't a good time for major label music (never has been since, IMO). What about Grunge, wasn't that already on the scene (not that I cared for it much, but it was a bit of an improvement).

Yeah, it definitely wasn't a good time for major label music (never has been since, IMO). What about Grunge, wasn't that already on the scene (not that I cared for it much, but it was a bit of an improvement).
    Grunge wasn't a factor yet for the masses in '87.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Grunge wasn't a factor yet for the masses in '87.
    Yeah. It already existed, in hundreds of Pacific Northwest basements and garages, in dozens of beat-up Ford Econolines on tour, and on Sub Pop Records, which a couple of guys founded to document that local scene. Some say that the first grunge act was the obscure Portland band Crackerbash, although I remember seeing them and thinking they were a good, energetic, impassioned punk band but nothing special beyond that. But it didn't really get beyond there until that fluke hit by Nirvana - and they weren't even the band anybody expected to break big out of Seattle.

However, while G&R definitely weren't grunge, you could say they paved the way for it by showing the Big Time Industry that straight-up rock 'n roll could still sell records, sell tickets, and get radio play.

Nay. In retrospect, they're a lot better than what's popular today, but I never cared much for them. Slash is a good blues/rock guitar player if you like that sort of thing. For the most part, I burned out on it a long time ago, with a few exceptions.

And thanks for reminding me about The Shaggs. At least their music makes me smile.