Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Ian Anderson Album and Tour

Reading interviews with Ian Anderson, he indicates that he scores out all of the parts and has them sent to his band to learn before rehearsing. I was under the impression that he didn't read music. Is this something he has learned later in life or does he have someone writing the parts out for him, much as McCartney does when he "scores" his musicals? Just curious!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    overall Homo is an improvement on TAAB 2.
    So I guess that's what we'll be calling this one, then?

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    On a side note, this thread had me scanning the Amazon listing for the new album and I came across Martin Barre's most recent "Away With Words". Although it sounds like a fine record it's kind of sad seeing he's knocking around rearranging old Tull songs, I've always thought he had the potential to write some pretty compelling and rocking instrumentals.
    Been there, done that, nobody bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Reading interviews with Ian Anderson, he indicates that he scores out all of the parts and has them sent to his band to learn before rehearsing.
    So *that's* why TAAB2 sounded so lively and organic!

Anyway, to your point - I thought I did read somewhere that IA learned how to read/write music some time ago.

Yet another positive review of Homo . This time at
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ntent&id=16023

this and the DPRP reviews at
    http://www.dprp.net/reviews/index.php
    have given a detailed idea of what the release is like.

Something to listen to while I'm doing my taxes.

Got 7th row for Bethlehem in October.....psyched!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did Amazon ever lower the price of the deluxe edition? And have they shipped yet? Don't think so.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Got 7th row for Bethlehem in October.....psyched!
    Dang - forgot there was no NYC show.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did Amazon ever lower the price of the deluxe edition? And have they shipped yet? Don't think so.
    It has dropped about $5 since I pre-ordered. It hasn't shipped yet as it hasn't been released. I see that sometime within the last few days they pushed the release date back from the 15th to the 22nd. (The regular edition still says April 15.)

Orders from Burning Shed have shipped.

Lasers Edge has the cd/dvd mediabook for $14

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/homo-erra...ddvd-mediabook

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Lasers Edge has the cd/dvd mediabook for $14

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/homo-erra...ddvd-mediabook
    Ordered, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    The majority of opinions about this release are very positive. I have heard it numerous times and I was not disappointed with it overall. There are some aspects though, as there would be with any release, that I enjoyed more than others. I loved the flute parts but would have liked more lengthy instrumental passages within the songs. I would have liked the band to develop their parts more fully.. hopefully this may occur in a live setting. Many might disagree , but I think Florian Opahle does a fine job on the album. He was unfortunately though,woefully low in the mix in the audio files that I have listened to. There is however no track in my view of the same quality as Change of Horses , but overall Homo is an improvement on TAAB 2. This is a very positive release in its own rights . It is difficult to not compare it to other Anderson /Tull related albums, it's probably not the best, but its by no means the worst...... judged on its own merits , it is a good record.
    I agree with a lot of this, but I think I prefer TAAB 2 as it's slightly more memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    On a side note, this thread had me scanning the Amazon listing for the new album and I came across Martin Barre's most recent "Away With Words". Although it sounds like a fine record it's kind of sad seeing he's knocking around rearranging old Tull songs, I've always thought he had the potential to write some pretty compelling and rocking instrumentals.
    Oh well, I think both parties would be better off working together rather than separate.
    I have all of Martin Barre's solo albums, and they're not particularly compelling - all somewhat forgettable. 'Stage Left' is probably the best. The new one with the Tull covers is OK, but just made me want to listen to the original Tull recordings. It's almost elevator music.

Old man of prog
    So only 2/3 of the way through and I can't comment yet on whether the melodies will stick or not yet but I will say it has far more energy than TAAB2. The performance on that album just sounded like it was done by a bunch of old Brits sitting around smoking pipes and drinking tea This album has far more "spark". Look forward to digging in some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I have all of Martin Barre's solo albums, and they're not particularly compelling - all somewhat forgettable. 'Stage Left' is probably the best. The new one with the Tull covers is OK, but just made me want to listen to the original Tull recordings. It's almost elevator music.
    My initial reaction on first spinning perhaps, but now I would have to disagree. The more I listened the more I really appreciated what he was doing. His playing is impeccable.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    So only 2/3 of the way through and I can't comment yet on whether the melodies will stick or not yet but I will say it has far more energy than TAAB2. The performance on that album just sounded like it was done by a bunch of old Brits sitting around smoking pipes and drinking tea This album has far more "spark". Look forward to digging in some more.
    I've had bits and pieces of this album (along with Sing to God by Cardiacs - weird combo!) stuck in my head for days. I'd say the melodies are memorable!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I've had bits and pieces of this album (along with Sing to God by Cardiacs - weird combo!) stuck in my head for days. I'd say the melodies are memorable!
    Cardiacs tunes stick with me for weeks!

I've really got into this album now. I managed to listen to it on the stereo while the kids and wife were out in the garden and it made a huge difference to listening to it on headphones.

Is Ian doing all the vocals or is the "Mini Me" guy helping out?

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Is Ian doing all the vocals or is the "Mini Me" guy helping out?
    Ryan sings a few verses and some harmony.

This arrived today. Lovely looking digibook!

Time to dive in fresh - I didn't listen to any of the samples, haven't heard a note yet. New IA! Woohoo!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just listened to 'Homo' last night and I have to say I like it better than TAAB2. The band sounds more organic (I'm sure a tour playing together helped out), the songs flow a little better and I'm starting to really like the german kid's guitar style quite a bit. I also like Ryan's vocal parts and would like to hear him used more often.

I guess we have to face the fact that IA is eschewing the Jethro Tull name altogether for any new original material and keeping it for financial opportunities (greatest hits tours, album sales ect). For any of us wanting a new Tull album this is it.
    Interesting that IA is embracing the term 'prog' rather than running from it.

I suspect Ian has a few good albums left in him.