Thread: Rock's rich list!

Rock's rich list!

Home > News > Bon Jovi top rock earning list
    Bon Jovi top rock earning list
    Comments 11 Martin Kielty at 08:11am November 21 2013 Top man: Bon Jovi
    Bon Jovi are back at the top of one chart – Forbes Magazine’s highest earners chart for the year June 2012 to June 2013.

Jon Bon Jovi and co may be going through the wars with an unresolved feud sending guitarist Richie Sambora home from their Because We Can world tour, and drummer Tico Torres enduring two hospital dashes over the summer.

But that didn’t stop them bringing in $79m in the twelve-month period – less only than pop stars Madonna and Lady Gaga, who made $125m and $80m respectively. It’s a significant increase from last year’s figure, when Bon Jovi made $60m, putting them in overall sixth position. In 2011 they were second only to U2, bringing in $125m.

Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, last year’s top earner Roger Waters, Muse and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were all paid more than $40m, says the respected magazine. And although the Rolling Stones generated “just” $39m, they did it over just 19 shows.

Forbes summarises by saying: “The list underscores the importance of live performance in today’s music world,” adding that while it’s still true of rock acts, but it’s pointed out that rap stars like Diddy and Jay Z generate a large percentage of their income from merchandise deals, clothing ranges and so on.

Forbes’ list is assembled using all visible income streams including ticket sales, royalties, publishing and third-party deals but doesn’t include deductions such as management and agency fees. Only living artists are eligible.

Rock rich list 2012-13 (position in full industry list)
    1 (3). Jon Bon Jovi $79m
    2 (6). Bruce Springsteen $62m
    3 (13). Paul McCartney $47m
    4 (16). Roger Waters $44m
    5 (17). Muse $43m
    6 (21). Red Hot Chili Peppers $40m
    7 (23). Rolling Stones $39m

I looked up a bunch of acts off the top of my head at www.therichest.com just for kicks.

Bruce Springsteen - $200m
    James Hetfield $175 m
    Angus Young - $140m
    Bob Dylan - $80m
    Tony Iommi $75m
    Gary Rossington $40m
    Rob Zombie - $40m
    Saul ‘Slash’ Hudson- $32m
    Dave Mustaine – $20m
    Mark Farner - $16m
    Kerry King - $15m

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Quote from article: “The list underscores the importance of live performance in today’s music world,”
    True, but the reference in the article is to bands that are already established and cemented firmly in the public mindest......people are going to these shows less for the music and more to see living icons

... but it’s pointed out that rap stars like Diddy and Jay Z generate a large percentage of their income from merchandise deals, clothing ranges and so on.
    Ain't that the truth! The music business these days is a lot more about business than music.

I always thought David Bowie was the richest by a long mile because he got all the rights to his songs and recordings early on and he created some kind of stock market bond based on his future earnings which is worth hundreds of millions. Maybe that doesn't show up as his personal wealth because it is in the name of a company. I believe Michael Jackson and James Brown tried to do something similar with not such great results.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I always thought David Bowie was the richest by a long mile because he got all the rights to his songs and recordings early on and he created some kind of stock market bond based on his future earnings which is worth hundreds of millions. Maybe that doesn't show up as his personal wealth because it is in the name of a company. I believe Michael Jackson and James Brown tried to do something similar with not such great results.
    $150,000,000 - Not too shabby. The lack of touring this past decade kept his numbers (ahem) LOW.
    http://www.therichest.com/celebnetwo...wie-net-worth/
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    $150,000,000 - Not too shabby. The lack of touring this past decade kept his numbers (ahem) LOW.
    http://www.therichest.com/celebnetwo...wie-net-worth/
    Of course, these are just "official records". Who knows how much wealth Bowie has procured as Sovereign of The Guild Of Calamitous Intent (of course, it's now been suggested that Bowie isn't in fact The Sovereign, though we only have the word of Brock Sampson and Monstroso to go on that).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 12-02-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Roger Waters should start selling a line of food items like Newman's Own.

Roger Water.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Roger Water.
    LOL. If I ever meet him I'm going to suggest that. Make it really expensive, and in non-recyclable bottles.

Umma Gum

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Umma Gum

Home > News > Bon Jovi top rock earning list
    Bon Jovi top rock earning list
    Comments 11 Martin Kielty at 08:11am November 21 2013 Top man: Bon Jovi
    Bon Jovi are back at the top of one chart – Forbes Magazine’s highest earners chart for the year June 2012 to June 2013.

Jon Bon Jovi and co may be going through the wars with an unresolved feud sending guitarist Richie Sambora home from their Because We Can world tour, and drummer Tico Torres enduring two hospital dashes over the summer.

But that didn’t stop them bringing in $79m in the twelve-month period – less only than pop stars Madonna and Lady Gaga, who made $125m and $80m respectively. It’s a significant increase from last year’s figure, when Bon Jovi made $60m, putting them in overall sixth position. In 2011 they were second only to U2, bringing in $125m.

Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, last year’s top earner Roger Waters, Muse and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were all paid more than $40m, says the respected magazine. And although the Rolling Stones generated “just” $39m, they did it over just 19 shows.

Forbes summarises by saying: “The list underscores the importance of live performance in today’s music world,” adding that while it’s still true of rock acts, but it’s pointed out that rap stars like Diddy and Jay Z generate a large percentage of their income from merchandise deals, clothing ranges and so on.

Forbes’ list is assembled using all visible income streams including ticket sales, royalties, publishing and third-party deals but doesn’t include deductions such as management and agency fees. Only living artists are eligible.

Rock rich list 2012-13 (position in full industry list)
    1 (3). Jon Bon Jovi $79m
    2 (6). Bruce Springsteen $62m
    3 (13). Paul McCartney $47m
    4 (16). Roger Waters $44m
    5 (17). Muse $43m
    6 (21). Red Hot Chili Peppers $40m
    7 (23). Rolling Stones $39m
    Sad as Jon Bon Jovi has not talent.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Sad as Jon Bon Jovi has not talent.
    Oh, he's got talent. What he doesn't have is originality. Virtually all those other acts are major, influential artists - Paul's old band and the Stones are probably the two most important rock acts, at least artistically. But Jon Bongiovi's only major skill is an ability to hit that sweet spot right in the middle of popular taste.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 12-02-2013 at 11:57 AM.

and the women love him. i read an article this wekend which talked about bon jovis interest in owning an nfl team in toronto.