Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans Siberian Orchestra & the things we do for Love

Trans Siberian Orchestra & the things we do for Love

I'm starting this thread on the WOT page because of what I recently had to endure for the love of my wife. She knows full well how much I love the Christmas season. Acting with only noble intentions, she purchased 4 tickets for TSO's Christmas show at a cost of >$100 a piece. I've heard their music on the radio. In brief: not my style. Regardless, I intimated nothing of my displeasure, girded my loins, & prepared for the 2 hour waste of time.

I was not disappointed. Not that I needed affirmation, but my take on this group is that they market volume, flash, & easily iconoclastic tunes into a sustainable cash flow. I'm thinking that in a few years they'll have their own theater in Branson, MO.

One of their many marketing talents was to employ a female chorus of 5 with amazingly similar physical attributes: thin, yet shapely, build & straight hair. It was laughable that #1: you could not hear them amongst all of the bombast, #2: over-the-top hip gyrations &, most silly of all, #3: a great deal of pointless whipping of the hair. My girls (ages 9 & 11) were quick to pick up the fact that the women were there as shallow props. One the car ride home our eldest one shocked us by saying, "They're going to be arrested for causing a disturbance… in my pants!" (After 3 hours of water boarding she told us where she heard that line. After which, we hugged her & told her how much we loved her… )

I apologize if I offended anyone who enjoys this group. They're just not my cup of tea.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

From everything I've heard, they'd go down a treat in Tillamook.

Aren't there a few different bands performing as TSO? This weekend I saw a commercial listing their tour dates and it appears they have two shows in different states on the same day on a few of the dates listed.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Two hours of aggressive, in your face Christmas Metal. How can you not like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Aren't there a few different bands performing as TSO? This weekend I saw a commercial listing their tour dates and it appears they have two shows in different states on the same day on a few of the dates listed.
    Yes. There are two touring bands. One covers the eastern U.S. and the other the west.

For a double helping of Tillamook you could find a local performance of Mannheim Steamroller.
    Not metal, but when I saw them many years ago it was bombast of a sort that can only be achieved but artists that take themselves way too seriously.
    I was surprised to see that they are still a going concern.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I was not disappointed. Not that I needed affirmation, but my take on this group is that they market volume, flash, & easily iconoclastic tunes into a sustainable cash flow. I'm thinking that in a few years they'll have their own theater in Branson, MO.
    What do you mean by "easily iconoclastic"?

I realize this is nit-picking, and that even if someone's usage happens to be wrong, it's petty, small-minded, and insulting to question or correct them on it, but I really don't understand what you're trying to say with that phrase.

I may have not chosen my descriptive as wisely as I had hoped, but I was referring to musical pieces such as "In the Hall of the Mountain King", "Carmina Burana", "1812 Overture", "Night on Bald Mountain, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", etc. These are pieces that are often played with bombast &, for the artistic bent of TSO, they are tailor-made. On second thought, "bombast" rather than "iconoclast" is the word that would have been better suited to the point I was trying to make.

OK. Gotcha.

And you're right. Furthermore, TSO is perhaps the perfect example of what people who don't like prog think of prog as being: Bombastic, self-important, overblown, tasteless, and vulgar. You can't deny their professionalism, but my God are they cheesy - it's the Vegas version of prog-metal, and makes Dream Theater look like masters of understatement.

TSO make ELP look like the height of refinement and good taste

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Apparently I'm going to see Cher in April with the wife at >$100 per ticket unless one of the daughters steps up and takes one for the team. Youngest daughters reaction, "Bahahahahaha", she's the one who has been to Nearfest & ProgDay.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'll go!

For this current tour, they have added Symphony X/Adrenaline Mob vocalist Russell Allen to their East touring troupe:

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Yes. There are two touring bands. One covers the eastern U.S. and the other the west.
    When people have seen both, they can't detect any differences whatsoever. They look and sound identical. I'm guessing. Imagine how much merch they must sell after one of their shows. I'm pretty sure their show this season will involve twerking, even if it's done in jest. Tell us if I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Apparently I'm going to see Cher in April with the wife at >$100 per ticket unless one of the daughters steps up and takes one for the team. Youngest daughters reaction, "Bahahahahaha", she's the one who has been to Nearfest & ProgDay.
    In three years she'll be 70!

Who the f*ck wrote her Wikipedia entry? Maybe Cher herself:

Cher (born Cherilyn Sarkisian; May 20, 1946) is an American singer and actress. Recognized for having brought the sense of female autonomy and self-actualization into the entertainment industry, she is known for her distinctive contralto singing voice and for having worked in various areas of entertainment, as well as continuously reinventing both her music and image, which has led to her being nicknamed the Goddess of Pop.

I've never heard her referred to as the Goddess of Pop. Have you?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So very easely

"Goddess of Pop"…. Sheesh! Who comes up with this silliness?

She has, however, spent a lot of money reinventing her face.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    "Goddess of Pop"…. Sheesh! Who comes up with this silliness?

She has, however, spent a lot of money reinventing her face.
    Remember the rumor that she'd had two ribs removed to give herself a more svelte look? Probably not true.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Goddess of Pop, Greatest American Prog Act.... its all good.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Goddess of Pop, Greatest American Prog Act.... its all good.
    "Prog Legends" cracks me up - I think I saw that recently on the sticker on the new Flower Kings CD.

Children, supposedly there used to be a band called The Flower Kings...

When people have seen both, they can't detect any differences whatsoever. They look and sound identical. I'm guessing. Imagine how much merch they must sell after one of their shows. I'm pretty sure their show this season will involve twerking, even if it's done in jest. Tell us if I'm right.
    Well, I'll have to rely on other people's reviews, because we're not going! We actually did go for three or four years in a row, and I thought it was a fun time. My wife couldn't take the strobes anymore (they tend to trigger migraines for her), but that's the only reason we stopped. Sure it's hamfisted and over-the-top, but that's half the fun of it. Christmas music that takes itself too seriously!

Speaking of which, it's hilarious to see prog fans complaining that something is too overwrought and bombastic.

To each their own. I love going to see TSO! I totally agree with Casey's take on the women performing, but otherwise I truly get a kick out of this show. I've seen them grow from performing in a small 1500 seat theatre with barely a light show, to a 10,000 seat half arena, to the full 20,000 seat arena and a multi-million dollar light show with two stages. The first time I saw them, in the small theatre, where they made it snow on the audience was a magical experience for me. The bigger shows don't have the same effect or give me the same feeling, but still, I'm a sucker for a great arena show with lots of pomp and flash, and TSO delivers. It's also a show that my whole family enjoys from my 77-yr-old mother to my 13-yr-old niece.

Just thought I'd throw in a different perspective.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 11-20-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    To each their own. I love going to see TSO! I totally agree with your take on the women performing, but otherwise I truly get a kick out of this show. I've seen them grow from performing in a small 1500 seat theatre with barely a light show, to a 10,000 seat half arena, to the full 20,000 seat arena and a multi-million dollar light show with two stages. The first time I saw them, in the small theatre, where they made it snow on the audience was a magical experience for me. The bigger shows don't have the same effect or give me the same feeling, but still, I'm a sucker for a great arena show with lots of pomp and flash, and TSO delivers. It's also a show that my whole family enjoys from my 77-yr-old mother to my 13-yr-old niece.

Just thought I'd throw in a different perspective.
    True, and also remember that before there was TSO there was Savatage. John Oliva is no longer a touring member of TSO (not sure if he is involved at all anymore), but the rest of the guys still are. TSO is way over the top, but I have seen them a couple of times and enjoyed it. I also remember the last time Savatage toured, they played to about 200 people in a club. 6 months later most of the same guys were playing to 20,000 people right down the road at the hockey arena. I guess it all comes down to marketing.....

Steve Sly

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Geez guys, we are talking Christmas tunes, which tend to be cheesy and/or bombastic. If TSO is too over the top, you can always go see The Nutcracker.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I have one of their Christmas albums and, yes it is a bit cheesy, but quite a bit different from Bing Crosby and worth a listen in the season. I got tickets for this years show for myself and my daughter. First timers. We will see.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oldest daughter has stepped up, way to go Becci, phew!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.