Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Featured CD - Greenslade : Bedside Manners Are Extra

Can't have a Greenslade thread without slagging Lawson's vocals. Hilarious and so predictable.. it is what it is. I personally find them distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Man, the singing is horrible!
    Hm. Lawson's voice is actually kind of moderate on this particular record, and I think it works neatly on the title track and "Sunkissed". He turned WAY over the top two albums down the line:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Gabriels voice on the Lamb. Now that's horrible
    What are you smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    What are you smoking?
    Don't smoke. His voice on back in NYC is awful

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hm. Lawson's voice is actually kind of moderate on this particular record, and I think it works neatly on the title track and "Sunkissed". He turned WAY over the top two albums down the line:

One of his best vocal performances, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Can't have a Greenslade thread without slagging Lawson's vocals. Hilarious and so predictable.. it is what it is. I personally find them distinctive.
    Well, to be fair, his vocals on this album are...less awful than the other three, approaching tolerable, actually, but still less so than his Web/Samurai days, when he wisely sang in a lower register. I’d mention Spyglass Guest but unfortunately it’s rather done in by the deadly version of “Theme From an Imaginary Western.” Why, Dave, why? Why did you have to slaughter it so badly? Funnily enough, the short-lived Ivory, who were kind of the US answer to Greenslade (based out of L.A., but with roots in the Twin Cities psych/beat group Canoise) did a far superior rendition of the same song with excellent vocals from the Gullickson brothers on their one 1974 album (Playboy Records, don’t confuse it with the female-vocal psych album from 1968 on the Tetragrammaton label).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“7 Pounds Tommy”-Spektakel

LOVE Greenslade!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Well, to be fair, his vocals on this album are...less awful than the other three, approaching tolerable, actually, but still less so than his Web/Samurai days, when he wisely sang in a lower register.
    With Web/Samurai his singing is outright excellent, IMO - proving that the guy knew exactly what he was doing even with those strange vocal experiments in Greenslade. If you listen to SOME of his work with 'slade, such as the fantastic "Doldrums" from T&T, you can hear the very best of him (and the obvious echo of Web/Samurai as well). But I still can't get past the horrors of "[...] I want to go back in leieieieff..." or, as you so eloquently pointed out, "Imaginary Western". Hell, I'd much rather take Chris Farlowe's already over-the-top rendition with Colosseum.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Speaking of which, ever wondered what Greenslade would have sounded like with Farlowe on vocals? Wonder no more:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Terra Incognita”-Niagara/S.U.B.

Imaginary Western was a crap song to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Speaking of which, ever wondered what Greenslade would have sounded like with Farlowe on vocals? Wonder no more:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Terra Incognita”-Niagara/S.U.B.
    No, I didn't. Why, Mike? Why??????????????????????????????????????????????! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawson's vocals are great with Samurai/Web. With this band it just seemed like at times he was straining and singing above his range. I do like his vocals on this album though. This is probably my favorite Greenslade album. It wasn't recorded very well, but the material still shines on it. They always had great musicianship! None of their records were bad, some were just better than others.
    Last edited by YeSFan Reese; 11-17-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Same here

Tony Reeves Bass playing should get more mention.An excellent player with a great feel.

Banned
    This thread inspired me to dig out my CD copy of this album. Got it from Tower Records many years ago. It's a Warner Bros import. I love Dave Lawson's singing. It is an acquired taste. Did anyone mention the S&M lyrics in Sunkissed You're Not. "I want you, but you want pain". This CD kicks ass!! Very jammy and jazzy.