Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny/Edgar Winter Touring in 2014

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Johnny/Edgar Winter Touring in 2014

Johnny and Edgar Winter are doing a show near me in March 2014, and I couldn't resist buying a ticket. Anyone ever seen them do a show together, and if so, how was it? I've seen Johnny a couple of times in the 80s, but never Edgar. It's probably mostly or all blues and rock, but I wish it'd include some of Edgar's more fusiony/funky stuff, just cause it'd be fun. Really not sure what to expect.

Johnny and Edgar Winter - Fast Life Rider - Danish Televison 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L5UIS3sbVY

It was pretty interesting seeing Johnny in the 80s - they had to aim several fans at him, and he kept his eyes closed through the whole show. But now I remember someone here saying his manager had him thoroughly drugged or something weird like that...

I saw Johnny when he had just come back from heroin detox, when he played some tunes with
    Edgar for the Roadwork album. I might see this tour if it comes my way. I saw Johnny a few years
    ago and he was fairly good, even stood up for part of the show. He also has Paul Nelson, who is a
    tremendous guitarist, but he doesn't get to shine in Johnny's band much. He has a great fusion
    album called Look.

If you haven't heard Johnny's live performances recently, don't expect anything like his playing from the 80s. I've seen him 11 times, through the ups and downs. And, while he's not anything like he used to be, he's much better than he was between 1997 and about 2003, which was near-death. He has rebounded quite well, but the fluidity and lightning speed of his playing is gone. He still has the great, unmistakable tone, but his voice is pretty weak. He sits while he plays nowadays. You should check out some YouTube so you know what to expect. You can still find him entertaining, though, as long as your expectations aren't too high.

Edgar, however, doesn't see to have ever lost a step.

Typically, when they tour together, they play separate sets and then do a few numbers together at the end of the show. It will not be anything like the "Together" album, but it's still something to see. I have not had the benefit of seeing them together after all these years.

Johnny is a national treasure, IMO.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Johnny is a national treasure, IMO.
    That he is. God bless the guy. And truth be known, he's still pretty darned fast. I saw him only once in 1976 when he was arguably at the top of his game. There were opportunities in the 90's, but I just didn't want to see him in that condition. Maybe I'll go this time, Edgar or not.

No doubt. He's still the man. I haven't seen him for about three years. I'm overdue.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone ever seen them do a show together, and if so, how was it?
    Yup, in '71, Johnny with And, Edgar with White Trash, his best band, imo. I don't recall if they played together, though.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

If you haven't heard Johnny's live performances recently, don't expect anything like his playing from the 80s. I've seen him 11 times, through the ups and downs. And, while he's not anything like he used to be, he's much better than he was between 1997 and about 2003, which was near-death. He has rebounded quite well, but the fluidity and lightning speed of his playing is gone. He still has the great, unmistakable tone, but his voice is pretty weak. He sits while he plays nowadays. You should check out some YouTube so you know what to expect. You can still find him entertaining, though, as long as your expectations aren't too high.
    Yeah, I did watch some YouTube videos, and he still seems worth seeing - I had read a review from when he was really bad, and checked the videos to make sure he was doing better now. I was reminiscing with a friend last night about the two times we saw him in the 80s. It was in a small club (The Lost Horizon in Syracuse), and my friend was saying how he came out and just basically soloed intensely for 90 minutes. Fairly accurate - I can't even remember seeing the rest of the band!

Yeah, those who say he was really bad are not up to speed on what transpired during the last 15 years or so.

Here's a really good article from 2007 about the whole saga:

http://www.livebluesworld.com/profil...st%3A461&#8805

Also, there's a TERRIFIC biography about him that came out a couple years ago, titled "Raising Cain." I know the author and she did a hell of a job. (In fact, I have a credit in the book.) It's really great. Johnny was heavily involved.

This is my favorite recording by Johnny Winter - never get tired of these solos, and the vocals:

A lot of people like that song. About half of that album, IMO, suffers from too much 80s production. The materials kills, as usual, though.

Really, the only album of his not worth anyone's time is "I'm a Bluesman," which should never have seen the light of day. Right behind that is the live one from '97, which showed the first evidence that something was wrong after he dropped out of sight for about three years. Anything before 94 smokes.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    I saw the Winter brothers together at the Felt Forum, I think it was 1976. Great show.

They made an album together that year:

“Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Johnny Winter is one of just a few living guitarists on my "Bucket list" who I have yet to see LIVE. (The others, if you're interested are: Frank Marino & Jan Ackkerman)

This is my favorite recording by Johnny Winter
    A lot of people like that song.
    Do you mean you don't care for it? I actually should have qualified my statement by saying I haven't actually heard that many Johnny Winter recordings. I really only know two of the 80s albums (Third Degree and Winter of 88), and saw him twice (both tours for those two albums I think). That's basically it. I no longer have those two albums, but kind of just listen to this one song over and over - I just love it.

I haven't actually heard that many Johnny Winter recordings.
    If you're interested in pursuing it, I recommend The Progressive Blues Experiment and s/t (his debut on Columbia) to start with. Both kill......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Do you mean you don't care for it? I actually should have qualified my statement by saying I haven't actually heard that many Johnny Winter recordings. I really only know two of the 80s albums (Third Degree and Winter of 88), and saw him twice (both tours for those two albums I think). That's basically it. I no longer have those two albums, but kind of just listen to this one song over and over - I just love it.
    No, I like it, but the album suffers form over-production. Johnny hates the production of it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    If you're interested in pursuing it, I recommend The Progressive Blues Experiment and s/t (his debut on Columbia) to start with. Both kill......
    I usually start people with "Second Winter." They pretty much all kill, though. He's also been releasing a shit-load of live recordings from his archives under the Bootleg Series title. The only complaint I have with them is they're not complete shows.

Has anyone gone farther in the Johnny Winter bootleg series? I only have the first two and wonder if the rest are worth pursuing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If you look at them on Amazon, some reviews tend to provide good info, like sound quality, etc.

Second Winter is the pinnacle for me - that guitarsound is quite unique!
    I also enjoy Live Johnny Winter and + Still alive & well.
    Saints & Sinners, and White, hot & blue are not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Second Winter is the pinnacle for me - that guitarsound is quite unique!
    I also enjoy Live Johnny Winter and + Still alive & well.
    Saints & Sinners, and White, hot & blue are not bad either.
    Have you heard the recent re-release of the And Live band? Essential.

Still Alive and Well, Saints & Sinners and John Dawson Winter III are fantastic Blues Rock albums he made after his comeback from addiction and prior to returning to his roots of pure blues with Raising Cain. Great stuff for sure!

While I think all of his releases, except Live '97, "I'm a Bluesman" and, to some degree, his latest "Roots" are great, I think his truly essential releases are (in no particular order):

Progressive Blues Experiment
    Johnny Winter (CBS debut)
    Second Winter
    And
    And Live
    Still Alive and Well
    Captured Live
    GuitarSlinger
    Third Degree
    Let Me In
    Hey, Where's Your Brother?

This list excludes the Bootleg Series releases, of which I've only heard one or two. But, I have no reason to believe they aren't all great.

"Got the Mona Lisa on my keister" -Illustrated Man

Johnny had a good run of albums from '84-'92. I lost track after that. I caught him in a Syracuse club back in 1988.
    It was loud as hell, but great!

Second Winter is my favorite.Pretty much a perfect rock album.

I'm surprised to find that these guys are still alive! I liked Johnny's 80's albums - Let Me In, etc. plus the collaborations with Muddy Waters.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I'm surprised to find that these guys are still alive! I liked Johnny's 80's albums - Let Me In, etc. plus the collaborations with Muddy Waters.
    Well, many are surprised that Johnny is after three bouts with addiction. But, Edgar has kept himself pretty clean. However, if your comment is about albinism, the short life spans is actually a myth.