Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: NEKTAR has a European tour planned

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I hope the present incarnation of Nektar finds success with this tour. There's no doubt that the music & the show will be first class.
    Totally agree. But, then again...

I hope it's promoted well & reaps the benefits of the investment.
    One can dream.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well around about this time tomorrow (6pm EST) it will be 11pm in London, so hopefully not too long after, we may hear from someone who attended the Borderline show. A new set-list and energy will be their keys to a successful transition, no matter how many people showed up.
    With only one original member, the validity of the Nektar name may indeed be in question.
    Back in November 1969, when Nektar played their first gig, BECAUSE it was successful, Mo, Ron, Taff and newcomer Roye changed their name from Prophecy to Nektar to give themselves a new beginning. I doubt that Roye will give up the name now, especially after he's gone to so much trouble to finally make it his own, however, if there ever was a time to give birth to a new name, now would be it.
    I've referred to Royes' bands as "TRAQ" for ten years now, not out of disrespect, but because it has been The Roye Albrighton Quartet since 2004, and I honestly thought HE deserved a new beginning under his own name, even back then.
    (also the question of "who is in Nektar today?" would have been moot).
    Last edited by Mick; 01-07-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Just posted over on the project by Henry ("Beerdrinker")....

I was at the Borderline show and it was packed and the show was great..ok Ron was not there a nd neither mwas Randy, but no matter, the music was great.
    Well done guys

Good for them. I hope it goes equally well on the continent.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I was the 2nd viewer of this you tube video:
    http://youtu.be/tjEzu3sEsFE

Too bad the videographer was an epileptic.

So, have they slowed this down, or is it me?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Too bad the videographer was an epileptic.
    So, have they slowed this down, or is it me?
    Yeah Ron, but at least it's A video.... Over, under, sideways, down... lol.
    It only seemed very slightly slower to me, but I did miss Rons' 8th beat double accents in "Cryin'" (under Klaus's keyboard solo, leading up to Royes' solo). I'm sure Che will catch the syncopation bug as the tour evolves further, especially if he keeps an eye on cues from his Dad.
    On another note, even in the seventies, the KoT vocals were ALWAYS dependent on a good monitor balance during those tough harmonies @ 4:40 & 5:30... (It was a 3 or 4 part harmony back then, and we cringed in our hotel room when we first played that part back), so we THEN used THAT particular harmony to GET perfect vocal balance at the soundchecks. Now Roye drops his voice an octave at the end anyway, so I guess "King of Twilight" is what it is now... 42 years older.
    Sorry, it's so easy to be an armchair quarterback... lol.
    BTW,
    I also just noticed that tomorrows' Berlin show has been cancelled
    http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...014-tour-dates or
    http://www.whitetrashfastfood.com/events/?q=Nektar
    which after the recent rave reviews was VERY surprising.
    Last edited by Mick; 01-11-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: The Berlin update.

Thanks for posting the video. Sad to hear that Berlin is cancelled if true.

Nektar's FB page says that Ron is not doing the January 2014 tour due to previous commitments.

Although Berlin IS off, demand for Nektar in the rest of old West Germany is on the rise again, so they are now playing an extra gig... on Wednesday night (15th) in EISENACH.
    http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...D=164&PID=1079
    it's at the Schlachthof... http://www.schlachthof-eisenach.de/ at 8:30pm. Nice comeback!
    Last edited by Mick; 01-12-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: to correct link to Schlachthof (mis-spelled)

(On Traders Den, haven't looked on Dime)

NEKTAR

Frankfurt am Main, Germany - Das Bett
    11. January 2014

01 Introduction 00.39
    02 A Better Way 07.36
    03 Doctor Kool 09.00
    04 King Of The Deep 11.12
    05 Dream Nebula/Desolation Valley/Waves 14.12
    06 Little Boy 03.43
    07 It's All Over 04.08

01 Time Machine 08.15
    02 Crying In The Dark/King Of Twilight 10.46
    03 Now 07.01
    04 A Day In The Life Of A Preacher/
    Squeeze/Mr. H 12.48
    05 Recycle 18.11
    06 <encore break> 02.26
    07 Man In The Moon 07.44
    08 Good Day 07.11

Lineup:
    Roye Albrighton - guitar, voc
    Klaus Henatsch - keys, voc
    Tom Fry - Bass
    Che Albrighton - Drums
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

As much as would love to hear all of that stuff played live, they need to interject some different tunes. Their set is getting a bit old.

As much as would love to hear all of that stuff played live, they need to interject some different tunes. Their set is getting a bit old.
    I've seen Nektar three times since the reunion and never heard "It's All Over," so that's a nice addition. Also, no Tab or RTF.

About 1/2way through listening to the above German show, Roye and the band sound brilliant. "King Of The Deep" ranks with their greats and of course "Dream Nebula">"Desolation Valley">"Waves" portion showcases some of my favorite Roye guitar moments. Perhaps just the recording, but, like the 3 NYC shows I've seen, ok, 2 here and Nearfest, the bass/low end has/is way too heavy/loud. Again. To my ears at least.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

NOT for Europe Casey. I agree it's almost the same set we heard in the USA, but Europe has entirely different audiences, so for them, this is NEW... and over two hours on stage to boot.
    RTF & Tab, as cool as they are, do take up a lot of playing time on stage, so THEY have to make room for the newer music for a while. The new line-up is having a good time and the audiences are hearing newer material, so as long as everyone is enjoying themselves, that "old" set is still working very well.

I think it's a great set. But, with "Tab" missing, I would be a bit bummed.

Hey Mick, I just received a notice from a CD outlet (CD Universe) that "Magic Is A Child" is being released 21 January under the Cleopatra label. Is this ok with you & the other members of classic Nektar?

I sent out e-mails to those involved over a week ago, only Larry has "really" responded so far, tho' I've talked with Mo and Ron about it also. There is NOBODY playing on that Cleopatra "MiaC package" from the new "current" band, even tho' it was Ron who supplied the live Hofstra gig for the bonus CD because he IS still signed with Cleopatra. I haven't heard from Dave Nelson or Taff.
    Last edited by Mick; 01-21-2014 at 11:00 PM.