Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin-Celebration Day

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Just watched the Blu Ray of the gig - I had a couple of bootlegs, so thought I knew what I was in for - how wrong I was - this is just extraordinary
    Same here. Could not agree more.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Absolutely an extraordinary album and Blu Ray! The songs from "Presence" have so much passion behind them it's scary...and a killer version of "No Quarter" that will leave you speechless! Page (notorious for his sloppiness at times) is sloppy enough for style's sake, but otherwise he is at his best here. The guy just slays every note he plays. Jason Bonham more than did justice to his dad's legacy...he cemented it with his own brilliant imprint on it. He is incredible. Plant sings well and hits some notes that I never knew he still had in him and puts a new take on some old favorites along the way. But JPJ...JPJ is the icing on the cake. He is so good that I cannot even tell you in words except for "amazing". His bass playing is rock solid and a great foundation for the music, and his keyboard playing is exemplary. This is truly Zep at its finest. My wife came down to the man cave when I was cranking the Blu-Ray and watching it and she remarked, "OMG! I thought this was them from the 70's! They sound fantastic...damn, they got old!" Great comment, and it's apropos as they do sound like they did in their heyday. The real revelation is the DVD with the rehearsals...that is INCREDIBLE stuff as they embellish, change the melodies, jam like crazy, and go over every little detail of the coming show. They are perfectionists in every way and always were...the set itself is housed in a nice CD sized slipcase with a fine booklet. And the Blu Ray (if you can get it) is absolutely AMAZING picture wise, sound wise...and the direction, the cuts to various musicians, the audience, the effects...all extremely well done. All in all one of the year's best.
    Last edited by Arkangel3; 11-22-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Spelling...what else?
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

Who plays the bass when Jpj is on keys. Does not sound like bass pedals to me. Specially not on Trampled Underfoot.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

It's his foot.

i just watched the DVD tonight....... No Quarter & Kashmir are awesome!

Those are both keyboard tunes.

I tried so hard to get into this gig, and had some friends who managed, some of them not major Zep fans at all. I never saw a boot and was sceptical, but picked this 4 disc set up last week and was transfixed. I saw their last ever UK show at Knebworth all of those decades ago, how I would have loved to be in the O2 that night. Jason is awesome in his Dad's role too.

Wonderful dvd.....they sure were having a good time that night!

Oh, I gotta get this!

Finally got my official copy and put on the DVD, cranked through the living room stereo (the serious one). Man, what a bottom end on this recording. Young Jason is downright authoritative on those skins.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

No Quarter was a highlight IMO. And I was pleasantly surprized to hear For Your Life - now with a proper sound! Great atmosphere, amazing show. Jason Bonham surely knows how to hit the drums for LZ, but...he's not as varied and inventive, as his dad was. For example, on slow, down-tempo songs - like Since I've Been Loving You, - JB sounds a bit rough. Not very delicate performance, I mean. On rock songs he is way more convictive.

if it hasn't already been mentioned, Plant, Page and Jones are going on Letterman tomorrow night (12/3), and the speculation is something big may get announced (a tour, or new music, or both?)

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    if it hasn't already been mentioned, Plant, Page and Jones are going on Letterman tomorrow night (12/3), and the speculation is something big may get announced (a tour, or new music, or both?)

That would be cool, but I doubt it.

Letterman and Zeppelin were both honored at the Kennedy Center last night. This will most likely be an interview about that and the new Celebration day release. If they were going to announce a tour, they'd probably hold a press conference with reps from the music industry present and not on a late-night talk show.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    That would be cool, but I doubt it.

Letterman and Zeppelin were both honored at the Kennedy Center last night. This will most likely be an interview about that and the new Celebration day release. If they were going to announce a tour, they'd probably hold a press conference with reps from the music industry present and not on a late-night talk show.
    well, perhaps, but for what it's worth, Mike Portnoy posted this yesterday on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/stat...65054726541313

Hmmm...mark my words: I have a feeling something's brewing with Led Zeppelin...I don't think Celebration Day is the final chapter...hmmm

They will probably promote the re-release of the catologue for next year. I don't think they will ever play live again unless there is some special charity event and I have my doubts about that. Plant has a new album ready to drop so he's not going to put his record on hold for Zeppelin.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

As long as he's not the drummer the news is good, whatever it is.

OK, on review of the DVD, it looks like Page has three different amp rigs set up on his side of the stage. Can one of you gearheads let me know what he's got going on there?

Never mind, I found a list of it here. Still would have liked to have seen the Danelectro

http://everydayguitargear.wordpress....14/jimmy-page/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just purchased it this morning, np: Nobody's Fault But Mine and this is, for December 2007, simply f**king fantastic. Plant's voice is wayyyy wayyyy wayyyy better than I ever thought or could have expected it to be. No Quarter is my fave Zep song and I haven't gotten to it yet but this DVD is already an unqualified success even before I get to hear that particular song. IMHO it is beautifully recorded and wonderfully filmed with a perfectly paced set whose songs are an excellent cross-section of a vast and great catalog and the rest of the band is on fiyah! For a bunch of old geezers they represented... ...and the younger buck behind the skins didn't do too bad, either...

Peace,
    Alex
    Last edited by ajcmixer; 12-27-2012 at 03:49 PM.

I heard some band just butchering Ramble On the other day on the radio... I remember thinking the singer sounded sort of like Plant, but not really; more like Plant as re-interpreted by a 90's singer. And the guitar player sounded nothing like Page; his tone was very grunge and he was playing without any of the finesse or feel that the original had. Then the dj comes on and says, "That was Led Zeppelin from Celebration Day!!"

I think he was freakin' high though. It just sounded nothing like them at all and I've checked out some UTube video and even in bootleg quality it sounds better than what I was hearing. Plus, what I was hearing didn't sound live at all.

I got this for my birthday a few days ago .... I am totally transfixed! If this is the final statement that Led Zeppelin makes, they definitely went out on a high note.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I heard some band just butchering Ramble On the other day on the radio... I remember thinking the singer sounded sort of like Plant, but not really; more like Plant as re-interpreted by a 90's singer. And the guitar player sounded nothing like Page; his tone was very grunge and he was playing without any of the finesse or feel that the original had. Then the dj comes on and says, "That was Led Zeppelin from Celebration Day!!"

I think he was freakin' high though. It just sounded nothing like them at all and I've checked out some UTube video and even in bootleg quality it sounds better than what I was hearing. Plus, what I was hearing didn't sound live at all.
    I'll bet it was Train or Fuel butchering Ramble On.

Jif is right, it was likely Train and the DJ was an idiot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Jif is right, it was likely Train and the DJ was an idiot.
    The members of Train and Fuel did a version of Ramble On together; I heard it on a morning radio show. According to Wikipedia, Train covered and released Ramble On as a single in '01.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    The members of Train and Fuel did a version of Ramble On together; I heard it on a morning radio show. According to Wikipedia, Train covered and released Ramble On as a single in '01.
    I bet that's it. Sounds about right...