Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wetton interview - why Asia is not progressive

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    Nowhere do I say Asia is a bad band. I even point out I like the first album. I agreed with Wetton that they are not progressive. That doesn't automatically mean "bad". And tho I like that first album, I think their music went downhill from there. So, tho they are not a 'bad band', they are not great. And I think Howe should be in a great band. To repeat, I think he can do better.
    Since you said that Asia went down after their first album, you did imply that they suck(suck has never been good). So, you did imply that they are a bad band. Then, you went on to say that Steve Howe can do better. Again, you implied that Asia is bad. I've got to hand it to Steve for being in Yes and Asia at the same time as long as he was. Asia may not be "progressive", but there is nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Since you said that Asia went down after their first album, you did imply that they suck(suck has never been good). So, you did imply that they are a bad band. Then, you went on to say that Steve Howe can do better. Again, you implied that Asia is bad. I've got to hand it to Steve for being in Yes and Asia at the same time as long as he was. Asia may not be "progressive", but there is nothing wrong with that.
    What are you, a lawyer? Am I on trial for "implying" that Asia sucks? Is this where I pull a Jack Nicholson for your Tom Cruise and say "Yes, Goddamnit! Asia sucks!" It's a fact that some bands don't want to meet all of their fans. What am I implying with that? Don't worry, I will tell you if you cant figure THAT one out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    What are you, a lawyer? Am I on trial for "implying" that Asia sucks? Is this where I pull a Jack Nicholson for your Tom Cruise and say "Yes, Goddamnit! Asia sucks!" It's a fact that some bands don't want to meet all of their fans. What am I implying with that? Don't worry, I will tell you if you cant figure THAT one out
    IF you didn't say that Asia sucks, then why make the comment about Steve Howe doing better music?

IF you didn't say that Asia sucks, then why make the comment about Steve Howe doing better music?
    Asia = Good
    Yes = Better

There are varying degrees of suck->good->better->best
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    He says the band is stronger without Howe? Wow! I thought Howe's compositions and playing were the only things that interested me in the group in the first place! His presence has been watered down since their first record, though.
    He made similar comments in the promo video when Sam Coulson joined. I can't say I ever felt Carl Palmer has been particularly tested in Asia.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-03-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I can't say I ever felt Carl Palmer has been particularly tested in Asia.
    What about Wildest Dreams?

After the debut, Asia's drummer could have been anyone.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    So, you're saying that you could've been Asia's drummer?

Calm down, JIF.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

So, you're saying that you could've been Asia's drummer?
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I can't say I ever felt Carl Palmer has been particularly tested in Asia
    Is there anything Palmer could do to project his playing (more) in Asia? Like, could he actually show up at writing sessions or in the rehearsal studio to get more of his input into the musical creation??

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Is there anything Palmer could do to project his playing (more) in Asia? Like, could he actually show up at writing sessions or in the rehearsal studio to get more of his input into the musical creation??
    I'm not sure it's so much Palmer's fault as it was just a change in their approach. The debut had creative arrangements that gave each musician a bit of spotlight and featuring some interesting interactions. After that, it was the Wetton/Downes band.

I'm not sure it's so much Palmer's fault as it was just a change in their approach. The debut had creative arrangements that gave each musician a bit of spotlight and featuring some interesting interactions. After that, it was the Wetton/Downes band.
    There's some good drumming on the second album, it's just buried in the mix. The third sounds like there's a load of drum machines on it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm listening to Alpha for some reason - I can't really explain why, I just came across it in my collection. I had never actually listened to it before.

What I'd like to know is: what did they do so that Wetton's vocals don't sound very much like the Wetton I know. It's like they filtered any uniqueness out of his voice. Very strange. Did they want his voice to match the blandness of the songs and instrumentation? Maybe it's the backing vocals, which seem to be ALWAYS singing whatever Wetton is singing, so that Wetton's voice is mutated.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm listening to Alpha for some reason - I can't really explain why, I just came across it in my collection. I had never actually listened to it before.

What I'd like to know is: what did they do so that Wetton's vocals don't sound very much like the Wetton I know. It's like they filtered any uniqueness out of his voice. Very strange. Did they want his voice to match the blandness of the songs and instrumentation? Maybe it's the backing vocals, which seem to be ALWAYS singing whatever Wetton is singing, so that Wetton's voice is mutated.
    I think it was just vastly over produced in that ubiquitous ‘80’s way. I still think there are some really good tracks on that album. Midnight Sun, The Smile Has Left Your Eyes, The Last To Know. All of these are magnificent pomp prog/pop songs, and I have always been very comfortable with accepting them for what they are, good toons.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

The Enemy God
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    I think it was just vastly over produced in that ubiquitous ‘80’s way. I still think there are some really good tracks on that album. Midnight Sun, The Smile Has Left Your Eyes, The Last To Know. All of these are magnificent pomp prog/pop songs, and I have always been very comfortable with accepting them for what they are, good toons.
    I saw Midnight Sun played at Wembley 82 , 4 of them playing keys, drum loops , then playing individual instruments, what a great track. The unusual time signature . But whilst I enjoy the track on Alpha I felt it had been stripped back to the bare minimum, a real disappointment

I remember the Rolling Stone review for Alpha, which, while panning the album in general, stated that Wetton's vocals sounded particularly good, particularly when mixed into harmony blocks, "which it often is."

I don't know. I bought the album in 1990, when I was going to college, young, naive, and full of dreams, and when I heard that album, lightning struck. I can't make any arguments for its prog or musical merit (apart from the songs being fairly catchy and Howe's soloing impeccable as usual) so I'd have to recuse myself from that debate. But the album meant a LOT to me and still brings back positive feelings, even though I'm totally aware half the songs are basically about Wetton being grouchy.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

I don't know. I bought the album in 1990, when I was going to college, young, naive, and full of dreams, and when I heard that album, lightning struck. I can't make any arguments for its prog or musical merit (apart from the songs being fairly catchy and Howe's soloing impeccable as usual) so I'd have to recuse myself from that debate. But the album meant a LOT to me and still brings back positive feelings, even though I'm totally aware half the songs are basically about Wetton being grouchy.
    LOL - very well-stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    more cowbell!! (as on Trilogy)
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I wound up giving my near-to-new cassette away within months after the album's release. I didn't think it was as strong as the debut and the production was inextricably linked to month it was released. Couple that with the XDR Type-1 cassette it sounded like shit in my car. It wasn't like I hadn't owned shitty sounding cassettes before but I could reconcile bad sound for my favorite music. Same with that Emerson Lake & Powell album that came out a few years later.

When I first saw the Asia debut album cover by Roger Dean, I liked it but honestly I did not expect the material to be Prog.

Maybe it had to do with all the MTV videos that were inundating the cable tv waves. And when I noticed the song lengths so short, that confirmed that Asia wasn't prog at all (no epics?)

Just because all of the band members came from 70's major Prog bands, it did not mean this debut was going to be just that but on the contrary, they craved for a commercial success, you could see it on the videos.

Alpha and Astra followed the same formula so that was when Asia had clearly defined its style, character and destiny.
    But they may not be prog but had the same appeal of contemporary bands like Journey, Rainbow and Alan Parsons project that put them on the charts.

I love Alpha unreservedly and don't care much about how progressive/unprogressive it is or its relative quality to the debut album. To me, it's an album I have enjoyed listening to since its release and nothing between then and now has changed that opinion. And although I would reach for Asia and Alpha first on a typical day, I feel the same way about Astra and the original tracks on Then & Now as well.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Found this Wetton thread, I'll post this good cover here.
    P.S. He has a good Fish cover too, from the 1st solo album.
    https://youtu.be/D4JolbsqtYs

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    I love Alpha unreservedly and don't care much about how progressive/unprogressive it is or its relative quality to the debut album. To me, it's an album I have enjoyed listening to since its release and nothing between then and now has changed that opinion. And although I would reach for Asia and Alpha first on a typical day, I feel the same way about Astra and the original tracks on Then & Now as well.
    I am 90% of this... I used to be 100% as above but I no longer enjoy Astra.

But do still dig Days Like These and Summer (can't last...)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

"The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" is a terrific song except for Downes' choice of putting some sort of cheesy synthesized explosion/thunder sound near the end.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet