Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online streaming of remixed Vapor Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I sure hope you people are right about this being much improved. 9 bucks is pretty cheap, but I still hate the idea of buying this again when I don't get what all the fuss is all about with the original mix. I'm hoping my tin ears (apparently) will notice a world of difference. I have my doubts, but will hear it soon enough and let you know what I think.
    If you don't get what the fuss is about, don't buy it. You are fortunate enough to be in the tiny minority of people who somehow can't hear how the original mix is so off-the-charts horrible, it has since become the example people use when discussing terrible mixes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^^^^
    Well, it and Death Magnetic.

Spinning this right now. Wow! It's almost like a different recording. I'm already loving this and I'm only on track 3. Like many people, I've been hoping for this for years and I'm pleased to say that so far they've done it justice.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'd be curious to hear an A/B.

You can actually hear individual instruments now. And for the first time, I can make out most of the lyrics.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    If you don't get what the fuss is about, don't buy it. You are fortunate enough to be in the tiny minority of people who somehow can't hear how the original mix is so off-the-charts horrible, it has since become the example people use when discussing terrible mixes.
    Well for me, I've just never been close to being an audiophile, but if a recording is clearly better I'd be happy to hear it. I hated the way the original Signals CD pressing sounded, and bought the re-mastered version, and even I noticed an improvement. No way does VT sound anywhere near as bad as that disc did. I admit it's not the crispest sounding disc, maybe a little muffled in spots, but when I hear comments of how awful and un-listenable VT is, I just shake my head. Some people here went as far as saying they got headaches and their ears physically hurt. Come on, that is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    You can actually hear individual instruments now. And for the first time, I can make out most of the lyrics.
    Funny, I could hear each of the instruments before, and definitely hear all the lyrics. Would I want to hear them even better? Of course. But these exaggerations are pretty funny too.

Always a big fan of this album. I think it sounds way better now.

Mine arrives tomorrow. I cannot believe HOW better you ALL say it sounds. I'm psyched!

listening to “one little victory” now, and it's already day and night ... wow, impressive job. definitely psyched to hear “ceiling unlimited” next, as it's a painfully underrated and underrequested song.

But these exaggerations are pretty funny too.
    I take it you've heard the remix then? And can therefore draw the conclusion that everyone is exaggerating? And yes, headaches and ear fatigue DO happen.

Thomas, why do you discount our experiences with this album, saying we're exaggerating? I have nothing to gain by doing so. I'm no audiophile either but the first time I heard it, it sounded bad, like a wall of noise. I could not listen to the entire album in one sitting, it was that grating to my ears. There is no dynamic range, and people have even posted sound frequency analyses of the music that show this, hence the term "brickwalling." 99% of the posters over at the Counterparts forum have been lamenting this for years, and now that they're heard the new version, everyone is raving about how much better it sounds. In recent interviews, Geddy even admits the album was "overcooked" - is he exaggerating too?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Yeah, I'm no audiophile either, but Vapor Trails is the only CD I own that I consider to be unlistenable. I still don't understand how anyone thought that album was ready for release. I know Geddy has explained the stress and pressure they were under, and how fatigued they were by the whole process, but this album is just an embarrassment to their catalog, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Only from a mix standpoint. I think it's stronger than the CDs on either side of it in their catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Only from a mix standpoint. I think it's stronger than the CDs on either side of it in their catalog.
    Oh, right! The music, the few times I've been able to listen to it, is very good. Which is why I'm pretty much forced to buy this!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Hardly sudden. RS has been writing positive things about Rush for at least 15 years. David Fricke wouldn't have got the gig to write the new 2112 notes otherwise.
    Nah, David Fricke has to be everywhere.
    I even saw him a the first solo Steven Wilson gig in NYC a few years back. He's just a whore.

Listening to the stream now and wow, this is pretty substantial even coming through the bookshelf/sub I have in my office. Clear, crisp, and with a solid bottom. I wasn't sure on getting this but I think I'll have to now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    ^^^^^
    Well, it and Death Magnetic.
    Yeah, that one is pretty much the standard for unlistenable.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Clear, crisp, and with a solid bottom..
    That's what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah, I'm no audiophile either, but Vapor Trails is the only CD I own that I consider to be unlistenable. I still don't understand how anyone thought that album was ready for release. I know Geddy has explained the stress and pressure they were under, and how fatigued they were by the whole process, but this album is just an embarrassment to their catalog, IMO.
    I honestly was surprised when I started reading all the complains here about the album, I had no idea there were any major issues with the sound. I didn't think it sounded great, but nothing to really gripe about. I was more concerned by the total lack of keys and guitar solos, and the "saminess" of much of the music. I've grown to like several songs after many spins. But the idea this is some kind of abomination of a recording, it baffles me. When I hear the re-mix, I will give my honest opinion. Maybe I will notice how awful the original mix was in comparison. As of now, I still am shocked at the descriptions of the original mix. I hope to be proved wrong, and be blown away by how much better this sounds now, and I'll admit to be totally off in my orignal opinion. We shall see.

I was more concerned by the total lack of keys and guitar solos, and the "saminess" of much of the music.
    Well, they've either added or mixed up a couple of guitar solos, so that's something you'll notice.

I was more concerned by the ... "saminess" of much of the music.
    Much of the "saminess" you hear is because there are no dynamics. All you're hearing is a wall of sound.

Big thumbs up from me, it significantly raises my appreciation for this album. It's like watching a movie in HD as opposed to grainy antenna reception on an old TV. There's more space around the instruments (admittedly it's still fairly "dense") but the note attacks (like drums, bass notes) pop out a lot more. It's much less "boxed in" - more deep low end and more clarity in the high range (cymbals, etc.) Better than I was expecting, especially since an early interview with the band seemed to indicate there were even problems in tracking (recording too hot, so distortion was likely there in some individual tracks even before mixing/mastering).
    http://robmartino.com
    Solo Chapman Stick

I actually bought this album for the first time today. I have heard the original mix (or as much as I could take) after it first came out, but this was the only Rush album I didn't own...my non-ownership status a direct result of that original listen.

Now it's like some bonus Rush album coming out of nowhere. Sounds great and I'm finally enjoying it!
    <sig out of order>