Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: And I'll Scratch Yours

And I'll Scratch Yours

Listening to the new Peter Gabriel cover compilation "And I'll Scratch Yours". I like some of these versions better than Gabriel's original versions:
    • Bon Iver's Come Talk to Me
    • Regina Spektor's Blood of Eden
    • Eno's Mother of Violence.
    • Randy Newman's Big Time.
    Other versions, while not necessarily preferable to PG's original, really offer a fresh take on familiar material:
    • David Byrne's I Don't Remember
    • Lou Reed's Solisbury Hill
    • Paul Simon's Biko.
    Thoughts?

Only ever heard Bon Iver's cover, and I LOVE it!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry, but f*ck Feist! She can't just use her last name like that. Sorry, but it rubs me the wrong way.

Meanwhile - how come there seems to be no US edition of this listed with Amazon?

Here's a YouTube sampler:

I had no interest in the two "Scratch" albums, and after listening to this sampler ... I still don't.

It should be a federal crime with a minimum sentence of 10 years to allow Lou Reed anywhere near a microphone.

Randy Newman doing big time? That should be awesome, but only if he does it like old timey ragtime, or kind of like Leon Redbone.

Edit, listening to the sampler... nope, sorry, this is a gigantic load of shite imho. Randy missed the mark. Eno was close. And for God's sake, will someone just make Lou Reed stop already?

Edit edit- I see I'm not alone
    Last edited by trurl; 09-25-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Does Big Time sound like a song from a Toy Story movie?

Do you guys think Lou Reed ALWAYS sounded bad, or do you mean lately? Maybe it's just the new liver.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you guys think Lou Reed ALWAYS sounded bad, or do you mean lately? Maybe it's just the new liver.
    Always, but not like this. And at least he had some songs back in the day.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This sounds like a waste of time. I can never understand how recycling original material makes any sense. I admit, that Eno did something outside of the mundane. It also sounds like music to slit your throat to, how depressing. The life is taken right out the life of most of these songs. I've been a Gabriel fan forever but why no do something novel, like creating new music? I'm going to pass and spin G III, IV, and II and enjoy the original sounds.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

If Gabriel's album was that god-awful, I can't even imagine what this steamy pile must sound like. I don't want to hear the sampler. I don't even want to rationalize that this exists in my universe!
    Quick! Fire up Here Comes The Flood to wash it away!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    This sounds like a waste of time.
    I've been saying this for years.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've gone from a PG fanatic to placing him with Sting...I don't care how talented you are-you are boring.

At least Sting is creating new original music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    It should be a federal crime with a minimum sentence of 10 years to allow Lou Reed anywhere near a microphone.
    +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000

Most (in)famous non musician masquerading as a musician in history.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    And to give him "Solsbury Hill," of all songs. I mean, what I heard was flat out murder.

Thanks for posting the sampler. As someone who really enjoyed (and still enjoys) Scratch My Back, this *was* on my auto-buy list. As of five minutes ago, it isn't anymore. So you saved me $15.

A few OK to pretty good tracks: Bon Iver, David Byrne, the techno guy doing You're Not One of Us. And I actually liked the Randy Newman, because it really sounds like one of his songs. But the rest... Boy I don't think I could stomach sitting through the full length of the Eno or the Lou Reed. Steamin' pile of poo don't even begin to describe it.

Maybe if Gabriel took these cover versions, and did versions of them with just an orchestra...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've been saying this for years.
    Add me to that chorus. It almost seems he has gone out of his way not to produce anything new. I still remember when Up came out he insisted that his next project of new material I/O (?) would happen in 18 months. That was 11 years ago (which is an even longer stretch than the 10 years between Us and Up) I suppose it's easier to make a buck on recycling than to actually create anything new. So I'm with mozo, I'll just queue up the originals.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

You know what? Some of you guys are a bunch of stuck-up, self-righteous snobs. Progressive??? You're the most REGRESSIVE bunch of cretins I've come across anywhere on the internet! Now I remember why I hardly ever visit PE any more. It's nothing more then a big bitch-fest most of the time.

While it's fair game to criticize PG for not producing any new material, hasn't he earned the right to indulge in a few creative whims from time to time? I think some of the tracks on Scratch AND this one are simply brilliant. I think Lou Reed is an idiosyncratic genius. Paul Simon's Biko brought tears to my eyes. Simply beautiful - as did Gabriel's take of HIS Boy in the Bubble. Eno's Mother of Violence is brilliant. I never liked the song before until I heard this version. Same with Bon Iver's Come Talk to Me. If something doesn't float your boat, you should say so without being so cutesy-snobby. Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by AWG View Post
    You know what? Some of you guys are a bunch of stuck-up, self-righteous snobs. Progressive??? You're the most REGRESSIVE bunch of cretins I've come across anywhere on the internet! Now I remember why I hardly ever visit PE any more. It's nothing more then a big bitch-fest most of the time.
    Waitaminutewaitaminutewaitaminute...

You're saying that we're "REGRESSIVE" because we want Gabriel to work on new, original material, and that we're not "Progressive" because we're not happy that all he does now is revisit old material and covers?

Really?

While it's fair game to criticize PG for not producing any new material, hasn't he earned the right to indulge in a few creative whims from time to time?

From time to time
    ?!!!!!

His last album, UP, just celebrated its 11th birthday, fer crying out loud!

I think Lou Reed is an idiosyncratic genius.
    That's fine. But he can't sing.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

While it's fair game to criticize PG for not producing any new material, hasn't he earned the right to indulge in a few creative whims from time to time? I think some of the tracks on Scratch AND this one are simply brilliant. I think Lou Reed is an idiosyncratic genius. Paul Simon's Biko brought tears to my eyes. Simply beautiful - as did Gabriel's take of HIS Boy in the Bubble. Eno's Mother of Violence is brilliant. I never liked the song before until I heard this version. Same with Bon Iver's Come Talk to Me. If something doesn't float your boat, you should say so without being so cutesy-snobby. Jeez.
    That's a pretty strong reaction people just expressing a viewpoint. I won't hold it against you for your gushing praise.

Mother of Violence is one of my all-time favourite PG songs, ever. Nothing can replace that but I agree Eno's is the best tune on the sampler.

Too bad you don't want to post on PE because of differing opinions. I'm a life long and highly dedicated fan of Gabriel's music and flew across an ocean just to see his Up warm-up gig.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-26-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

You know what? [blah blah blah] Jeez.
    I like a lot of modern music. I like a lot of pop music. I like a lot of experimental music. I like a lot of electronic music. I like a lot of lo-fi music. I like a lot of re-imagined music. I even like a lot of Lou Reed's music.

I don't like this.

Next.

It's amazing how thin-skinned some people are. Man, if I threw a hissy fit like that every time someone criticized a band I liked...

hasn't he earned the right to indulge in a few creative whims from time to time?
    Of course he has. My problem with him is that those 'whims' have pretty much constituted his entire career for the last two decades.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?