Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Singers who sound similar ?

Singers who sound similar ?

Which singers remind you of another singer (excluding tribute bands & those that were poached from tribute bands ).
    Johnny Gioli =Ronnie James Dio
    Terry Lutrell =Jon Anderson
    John Wetton =Greg Lake
    Lenny Wolf =Robert Plant
    Peter Gabriel =Cat Stevens

most 90s Rock band singers
    Jesse James Dupree (Jackyl) = Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
    Randy Jackson (Zebra) = Robert Plant
    KD Lang = Patsy Cline
    Mike Patton (on the chorus of Faith No More's "Epic") = Bugs Bunny

Every country music starlette

Deep Purple - The Shield

Elvis Presley - Always On My Mind

Roine Stolt was a dead ringer for John Wetton on the early Flower King albums.

Gary Savoie of Mystery was a dead ringer for Steve Perry on the early Mystery albums.

Also, Patric Helje of Landberk always made me think of mid-80s Bono.

Yeah, Evans sounded a lot like Presley, I've noticed that similarity ages ago.

It was a few years before I learned there were two lead singers in The Cars. Thought Ric Ocasek was singing all the tunes.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Gabriel with genesis was like a watered down Roger Chapman.

A whole bunch of guys sound deliberately like Genesis-era Peter Gabriel - from these bands: The Watch, Ad Infinitum, Mangala Vallis, Citizen Cain and a few others I'm drawing a blank on.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

As Chappo was mentioned, I always thought that

Roger Wootton (Comus) and Bernado Lanzetti (PFM) sounded like him

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    A whole bunch of guys sound deliberately like Genesis-era Peter Gabriel - from these bands: The Watch, Ad Infinitum, Mangala Vallis, Citizen Cain and a few others I'm drawing a blank on.
    Fish =Peter Gabriel
    John Carson [Arena]=Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    It was a few years before I learned there were two lead singers in The Cars. Thought Ric Ocasek was singing all the tunes.
    This is a common misconception, so don't feel alone. Most people think that bassist Ben Orr only sang "Drive" but he, in fact, sang most of their biggest hits from the first few albums. Ben Orr sang "Just What I Needed", "Let's Go", and "Bye Bye Love" - just to name a few. Ocasik and Orr had similar vocal inflections but Orr was the smoother (and better, IMO) of the two singers. Orr did more than Ocasik did on the first three albums but, later on during the "Shake It Up" and "Heartbeat City" phase, Ocasik sang more than Orr did.

I have to say, I find it surprising that people would confuse Orr and Ocasik - I always found them to be very different, and like klothos, very much preferred Orr.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    lana lane=grace slick
    jinx dawson=grace slick
    ann wilson=grace slick
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I have to say, I find it surprising that people would confuse Orr and Ocasik - I always found them to be very different, and like klothos, very much preferred Orr.
    on earlier songs, I thought it was ocasik, but the difference with "drive" is that it sounds different from other cars' songs, so i think orr's voice was more distinct. it's not until i heard what songs he did that i could differentiate the two.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

It's really weird, but I listened to echolyn's As the World for a year or so before I realized they actually had two different guys who sang lead. It seems so obvious now, and Kull and Weston's voices are very distinct, but for some reason it didn't process for me as two singers for awhile.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    John Wetton =Greg Lake
    People always claim that, but I don't hear it.

The 90s- Eddie Vedder/Everyone
    The 80s- Brian Ferry/Everyone

I don't buy Fish = Gabriel at all. But I would suggest maybe Phil Collins sounds like Peter Gabriel.

How about Michelle Young and Kate Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    on earlier songs, I thought it was ocasik, but the difference with "drive" is that it sounds different from other cars' songs, so i think orr's voice was more distinct. it's not until i heard what songs he did that i could differentiate the two.

Its a weird trick, isnt it? You can microscope yourself and listen to "Let the Good Times Roll", which is signature Ocasik, then fast forward to "Just What I Needed", which is Ben Orr and hear that they don't sing anything alike - and that Ben Orr is way smoother and has a more pleasant singing voice (IMO), but if you are just listening to music for pleasure and not paying attention, they can pass for each other.

ELO had a worse problem, because bassist Kelly Groucutt rarely sang full songs ( he sang a few on "Face The Music", and one or two here-and-there on subsequent albums) but - for the most part - his lead vocal was usually limited to a verse, a bridge, or a chorus of a song -- or sometimes just specific lines in a song! -- and he sounded nothing like Jeff Lynne, but most people think its Jeff Lynne doing everything

The singer for Bloodrock sounds a lot like the guy from the Guess Who.

Emily Bezar sounds like a cross between Tori Amos and Kate Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    As Chappo was mentioned, I always thought that Roger Wootton (Comus) and Bernado Lanzetti (PFM) sounded like him
    ...as did Lawrence Hammond (Mad River).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't, either.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    John Wetton =Greg Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Agreed. I think they have a similar quality, and can see why they've replaced each other over the years, but I'd never confuse them with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The 90s- Eddie Vedder/Everyone
    Ha ha! Good call!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Roger Waters = Martin Turner = Andy Latimer
    Cat Stevens = Dave Cousins

Okay, try this one:

Leon Russell and Carol Channing.