Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official Survivor Thread.

Man Colton drives me bananas, but she definitely stirs things up out there and makes for good, cringe worthy TV

I'm kind of diggin' all the twists this season.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I really thought this Blood/Water thing was going to suck...and it still might...but I agree that it's adding some interesting layers to the strategy that I never considered before. It might not be such a bad season afterall.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    So that was some great reality TV last night!

Tell you what, I would put that one night against the entire miserable season of Big Brother and run to be perfectly honest. Is there any doubt that Survivor blows BB out of the water?

It was a night of delicious irony. Colton quits! Again! For a second time we discover, as Jeff lays into him for faking his way out of the game last time. That was really a beautiful job by Probst there.

Made even more ironic by the fact that it seemed triggered by Marissa's F-bomb aimed at Culpepper! Seems like Marissa fits Colton's style actually, even though those guys are in the other tribe.

Made even more ironic by Gervase telling his niece to tone it down. Really Gervase? Tone it down?

More irony. Tyson brags to Culpepper that "being big is the worse thing in this game." Then he goes out to prove exactly how wrong he is by getting bashed in the challenge by a bigger guy, getting hurt, and putting his entire game in jeopardy by his own words right afterwards. Sweet, sweet irony.

Brad sure seems oblivious to lots of game play at this pre-merge stage here, claiming he's not in control when it could not be more clear that he is. I thought it was beyond stupid to vote out John, a strong player in challenges, at this early point in the game.

For a guy who should understand the benefits of playing together as a team better then anyone else, since he made a living playing a team sport, he fails to understand voting John out pretty much insures his team will be back at TC next week.

Ah the ironies.

A little disappointing to see that this thread getting less attention then the BB thread did. More irony?
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I wonder how the game would have played out if the veterans voted Colton out at the beginning instead of Candice. Would his boyfriend have taken his place at Redemption Island. I'm thinking "yes" and maybe Colton would have been able to manage being with the loved ones' tribe better than the vets. Still, I'm glad he's gone. Wonder what Rupert was thinking when he saw Colton quit so early after he lost at Redemption.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    A little disappointing to see that this thread getting less attention then the BB thread did. More irony?
    I suspect that has to do with two things. BB is three nights a week. More nights = more frequent discussion. And, there's nothing else to watch in the summer. Great summary of Wednesday night's events.

I thought Jeff calling out Colton was interesting. I didn't realize that Colton had faked his illness the last time. In my mind, all the more reason to not have returning players. Colton fakes an illness so they bring him back and look what happens. Hantz Junior was fucked up and had several meltdowns the first time he was on, they bring him back, and that didn't turn out well either. Sure the producers might think "Drama. Great TV". But we had great drama for five minutes last night and now Colton is out. Bye bye drama. I do like Colton's boyfriend from the little they've shown of him. At this point, I'd like to see him do well. He seems like a decent, cool-headed, guy.

I feel kinda bad for Gervase's niece on Redemption Island. She's stuck there as a third wheel with Candace and John now. Oh yeah, and TOTALLY stupid move to vote John out so early. I understand why they did it. If he has the idol and Candace gets back in, they're a dangerous duo...but when you can't win a challenge to save your life...when the girls on your tribe are being beat by their Mothers!...voting out your strong men is dumb.

I don't think John had the idol. I don't know why he didn't look a bit harder for it. I think had I been in his shoes I wouldn't trust anyone, and by him doing so, sort of aided in his blindside. Giving out clues that way sure put a target on his back, and I'm really not sure what would have been the best route to go with it--share the clues with the entire group, share with your "allies", it's a tough call. I don't care for the guy though that's more or less in charge with that tribe, and I would think his days are limited.

Colton is a mess, but yes, his boyfriend seems pretty stable--what's he doing with Colton?

I watch a lot of these episodes with my little nieces. Oh what a joy it was to explain why Colton twinkle-toed over to the man on the other team, sat on his lap and kissed him on the lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I watch a lot of these episodes with my little nieces. Oh what a joy it was to explain why Colton twinkle-toed over to the man on the other team, sat on his lap and kissed him on the lips.
    I LOVE that they showed that on TV and didn't choose to edit it out! The times they are a'changin'.

(But that's a whole other topic)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I suspect that has to do with two things. BB is three nights a week. More nights = more frequent discussion. And, there's nothing else to watch in the summer. Great summary of Wednesday night's events.
    Agreed on all counts, except for the "great" summary part. It was alllllllright... Still this show is so superior to BB, thought we may have more PE takers in this thread..

I thought Jeff calling out Colton was interesting. I didn't realize that Colton had faked his illness the last time. In my mind, all the more reason to not have returning players. Colton fakes an illness so they bring him back and look what happens. Hantz Junior was fucked up and had several meltdowns the first time he was on, they bring him back, and that didn't turn out well either. Sure the producers might think "Drama. Great TV". But we had great drama for five minutes last night and now Colton is out. Bye bye drama. I do like Colton's boyfriend from the little they've shown of him. At this point, I'd like to see him do well. He seems like a decent, cool-headed, guy.
    Dalton said Jeff was against bringing him back, but he was outvoted in pre-production. You are also right about his b/f, seems like a cool dude.

I feel kinda bad for Gervase's niece on Redemption Island. She's stuck there as a third wheel with Candace and John now. Oh yeah, and TOTALLY stupid move to vote John out so early. I understand why they did it. If he has the idol and Candace gets back in, they're a dangerous duo...but when you can't win a challenge to save your life...when the girls on your tribe are being beat by their Mothers!...voting out your strong men is dumb.
    It is also probably true that this was partially John's fault. Once he got the second clue, he should have just offered the clue and the idol to his alliance to use as a team when they see fit. Once he found the Idol, he could have chose to share it or not, depending on whether he found it on his own or not. Sure does not seem any of these players are spending time searching for idols, but that may be editing. In any case, I would be looking as discretely as possible, clues or not, and I'm mystified as to why neither tribe seems all that interested in idols.

Hands down Survivor is better than BB and this season is shaping up nicely.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Big Brother is complete trash. There isn't even a comparison in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Big Brother is complete trash. There isn't even a comparison in my opinion.
    I enjoyed the very first season of Big Brother, probably due to the novelty and a truly diverse cast, plus that was back when Julie was kinda hot ....

Back to Survivor, the real interesting thing about having Redemption in play is that Tribal is not a vote off the island, or even the tribe for that matter, but rather to send someone to the loser's bracket .... people lose their way off the island. So while John is out of the tribe, he is still playing the game.

Regarding Colton, he couldn't have gone soon enough for me. I don't normally talk bad about people and typically reserve judgement, some would say too long, but Colton was a truly despicable person with no sense of other people. He is the epitome of selfish.

Survivor finally got better this season. Nice twists and turns. Colton should have never been asked back. I hope he is not on the finale!

As for Big Brother vs. Survivor -- two different shows.

Big Brother has a lot of ground to cover and it's easy for it to get slow. When it's rollin' along it is great! This last season was the worst one, but I have hope for better installments in the future. However, Big Brother Canada's first season was a masterpiece from the beginning all the way down to the live voting shocker/mishap during the live broadcast of the finale! Delicious!

Survivor was completed a long time ago and gets more time for editing as they see fit. Survivor has had some clunker seasons for sure.

Does The Amazing Race count for anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Survivor finally got better this season. Nice twists and turns. Colton should have never been asked back. I hope he is not on the finale!

As for Big Brother vs. Survivor -- two different shows.

Big Brother has a lot of ground to cover and it's easy for it to get slow. When it's rollin' along it is great! This last season was the worst one, but I have hope for better installments in the future. However, Big Brother Canada's first season was a masterpiece from the beginning all the way down to the live voting shocker/mishap during the live broadcast of the finale! Delicious!

Survivor was completed a long time ago and gets more time for editing as they see fit. Survivor has had some clunker seasons for sure.

Does The Amazing Race count for anything?
    Along with Survivor, Amazing Race is the other show I've watched every single episode from day one! Thankfully the shows are different enough to where one can say they are both excellent.

I agree with Gruno's takes on BB. BB Canada was delightful! The second last season of BB US (with Ian) was also very good. This last season was the worst one ever.

I used to love the Amazing Race, but somewhere along the line they changed how they edited it and I (a) had trouble watching all the quick edits and (b) lost interest. There was an AR Canada this summer. We recorded it and still have four or five episodes left to watch. Again...just lost interest. Although the Canadian version was all filmed in Canada so, as a Canadian, it's interesting to see all the cool places they went and things they did right in my own country.

Good point Gruno about BB being "almost live", while Survivor has been in the can for awhile.

I still really like The Amazing Race also, better then BB, just for the spectacular locations and the awesome challenges. Last week they were para-sailing in Chile, pretty hard for BB to match that in some Hollywood backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I still really like The Amazing Race also, better then BB, just for the spectacular locations and the awesome challenges. Last week they were para-sailing in Chile, pretty hard for BB to match that in some Hollywood backyard.
    That's why they are different.

WARNING-- Non-Survivor talk -- AMAZING RACE CONTENT:

The Amazing Race (TAR) is good, but not as it used to be. I started watching in 2005. Where it loses for me is the money scenario is no longer present. TAR used to give the contestants money to complete their tasks. Remember: "You will have $130 to start this leg of the race." They got rid of those because it looked bad against the 'rich' United States that contestants were begging for money or favors while in other countries. I believe it happened shortly after one team didn't have enough money for a cab and they were begging the cab driver to take their shoes, watches... anything for cab fare. They were yelling and arguing with the cab driver. The money aspect also added to the adventure as the teams had more freedom to choose their transportation, "Do we take a fast cab and it be more expensive, or do we take the slower bus and save money?" Some teams would also help others by giving them some money. The rules were modified shortly after. Which leads me to another aspect...

Non-elimination legs. Remember that those who finished a leg last but didn't get eliminated were allowed to continue, but with only the clothes they were wearing? I recall one team thinking they were going to be last so, as they were running to Phil, they were frantically putting on as many clothes as they could on themselves. I seem to recall 'tighty-whitey's' being put on over pants That part is no longer in the game. Instead, they add a speed bump to the next leg and let the contestants keep their backpacks.

I also can't stand how many times during the season they reset the game by letting all teams catch up. Those, "Please take a ticket. Gates open tomorrow at 8am" make it too easy for all the teams to start fresh. It's not fair to those who are kicking ass on the journey. I understand why they do it, but I don't like it.

At the start of each leg Phil now says that teams MAY be eliminated. The way it was, that was reserved for non-elimination rounds. Phil used to say that teams WILL be eliminated on certain legs. Now they just use may all the time. Nothing major, but noticeable.

So, TAR is still a good show, but some of the things they have removed from the race I sure miss.

Here's hoping they never do another family edition.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I agree with Gruno's takes on BB. BB Canada was delightful! The second last season of BB US (with Ian) was also very good. This last season was the worst one ever.

I used to love the Amazing Race, but somewhere along the line they changed how they edited it and I (a) had trouble watching all the quick edits and (b) lost interest. There was an AR Canada this summer. We recorded it and still have four or five episodes left to watch. Again...just lost interest. Although the Canadian version was all filmed in Canada so, as a Canadian, it's interesting to see all the cool places they went and things they did right in my own country.

I'd like to watch that, do you know if it's available in the US?

That's why they are different.

WARNING-- Non-Survivor talk -- AMAZING RACE CONTENT:

The Amazing Race (TAR) is good, but not as it used to be. I started watching in 2005. Where it loses for me is the money scenario is no longer present. TAR used to give the contestants money to complete their tasks. Remember: "You will have $130 to start this leg of the race." They got rid of those because it looked bad against the 'rich' United States that contestants were begging for money or favors while in other countries. I believe it happened shortly after one team didn't have enough money for a cab and they were begging the cab driver to take their shoes, watches... anything for cab fare. They were yelling and arguing with the cab driver. The money aspect also added to the adventure as the teams had more freedom to choose their transportation, "Do we take a fast cab and it be more expensive, or do we take the slower bus and save money?" Some teams would also help others by giving them some money. The rules were modified shortly after.

I don't think the rules were changed (at least one of the teams was shown counting their money in teh latest episode), just that they don't show that footage much anymore. Same reason why they've edited out Phil's "a Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons" blurb every episode. I guess they figure that the people who watch TAR anymore are the regulars, who don't need the explanation. So they can show a few seconds of something else instead.

Non-elimination legs. Remember that those who finished a leg last but didn't get eliminated were allowed to continue, but with only the clothes they were wearing? I recall one team thinking they were going to be last so, as they were running to Phil, they were frantically putting on as many clothes as they could on themselves. I seem to recall 'tighty-whitey's' being put on over pants That part is no longer in the game. Instead, they add a speed bump to the next leg and let the contestants keep their backpacks.

that was specifically changed to avoid teams begging complete strangers, and for exactly the reasons you mention above. At one point the last-place teams were "marked for elimination", I don't remember what all that involved but iirc they had no penalties or extra tasks during the next leg, but if they didn't come in first they would be eliminated. That didn't last long. The "Speed Bump" is just another gimmick they've tried.

It's interesting that many (maybe most) of the winning teams actually came in last in one or more non-elimination legs.

I also can't stand how many times during the season they reset the game by letting all teams catch up. Those, "Please take a ticket. Gates open tomorrow at 8am" make it too easy for all the teams to start fresh. It's not fair to those who are kicking ass on the journey. I understand why they do it, but I don't like it.
    yep, but that's just part of the game now. That first season, when halfway through the race half of the remaining teams were a full day behind and had zero chance of catching up, and then in the final leg one of the three remaining teams got twelve hours behind and never even traveled to the final city, almost mothballed the entire series. So the producers HAVE TO make sure that all teams make it to the finish line (or at least the final task) within a few hours of each other every leg, and nobody builds up an insurmountable lead. Sucks for the teams but that's teh only way to keep viewers watching.

At the start of each leg Phil now says that teams MAY be eliminated. The way it was, that was reserved for non-elimination rounds. Phil used to say that teams WILL be eliminated on certain legs. Now they just use may all the time. Nothing major, but noticeable.

yep, just to keep teh suspense going for the last half of the episode.

So, TAR is still a good show, but some of the things they have removed from the race I sure miss.

during this summer "offseason" I finally got around to watching the second season, the only one I hadn't seen (I started in Season 3). At first it was a little surreal to see just how similar it was to recent seasons, then it got to be kind of a downer (that was the series when Tara and Wil were at each other's throats the whole time, while she was almost doing it with one of the eventual winners). Knowing that this was filmed eleven years ago, but except for a few wrinkles you could take one of these episodes and splice it into a recent series and never notice the difference, was actually kind of sad.

The most noticeable difference was the music, it used to be a lot more subdued. I vaguely remember Entertainment Weekly mentioning that starting with that new season they were really punching up the music and making the theme a lot more dramatic and energetic. That really sticks out, but the actual gameplay is getting redundant.

That's teh part I don't like, I still watch every episode and it's still my favorite show but it's getting stale, I really wouldn't mind if the series ended. Without some pretty fundamental changes to the game itself, it's gonna be just more of the same.

The other thing I hate about TAR is how often one team's fate comes down to a bad cab driver, who either gets lost or runs out of gas. Sucks to have such an extreme outside influence affect the outcome of the game. Bad cabbies are a fact of life in regular travel, yes, but in a game for a million bucks I wish they'd found a way around that.

At least with Survivor, they've introduced so many massive changes to the basic game that it's still interesting. But for TAR there are only so many minor variations on detours and roadblocks, they just smear together anymore.

Here's hoping they never do another family edition.
    no chance of that, Phil was quoted after that finale as saying it was clearly a mistake that would never be repeated.

Ironically, a couple years later when I was in Dusseldorf to see the TIOA tour, I ran into the Weaver Family in a medieval castle in the Rhine Valley (the Burg Eltz, well worth touring). The mother seemed like she really liked to be recognized but was still too shy to be a celebrity, the little boy was just bored, and the daughter had really grown up into a lovely young woman. They seem like genuinely nice people, pretty much exactly the way they were edited on TAR.
    Last edited by TerrellMiller; 10-08-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: edited for tag fixup and cabbie ventage

Quote Originally Posted by TerrellMiller View Post
    I'd like to watch that, do you know if it's available in the US?
    I think BB Canada is on YouTube. I'm not sure about. TAR. Try YT or Google it.

Another pretty good episode. That is really going to be a special moment, when Culpepper arrives at Redemption to join the two lovebirds who despise him.

Caleb with the ballsy move at TC to send the not so deviously clever Brad on his way. Guy doesn't even realize why he can't be trusted anymore....

Culpepper already wussed out when he woke up the sleeping couple on Redemption Island.

Great episode! Finally, finally, and FINALLY -- Survivor is better again after a few seasons of crud.

I still wish they would get off an island and do something different as they did with Australia and Africa. I would like to see different challenges and survivor skills implemented elsewhere.

Culpepper already wussed out when he woke up the sleeping couple on Redemption Island.

Great episode! Finally, finally, and FINALLY -- Survivor is better again after a few seasons of crud.

I still wish they would get off an island and do something different as they did with Australia and Africa. I would like to see different challenges and survivor skills implemented elsewhere.
    Good point. I miss those episodes with a variety of geography, climates and culture.

The TC last night was one of the best and the first that I can recall where a TC call-out like Caleb made actually worked!

All hail Caleb! What a great move. That guy has balls. What the hell he's doing with Colton, I'll never know.

Brad made a really dumb mistake at RI when he said that John made a mistake in trusting him. If you can't trust your alliance, who can you trust? I thought Jeff would have jumped all over that...maybe he did and it was edited out. At least it looks like Caleb was listening.

Unfortunately, from the preview for next week it looks like Caleb's move might have gone to his head. Cockiness in Survivor is the kiss of death. I hope he doesn't fall into that trap.

I love how the returning players tribe was cheering on Brad during the RI dual (threeul?), and then voted out the person that they thought could beat him at RI during the next dual. Gotta love those two-faced moves.