Thread: New Caravan album, doing the crowd-funding route

New Caravan album, doing the crowd-funding route

Surprised this wasn't here before, but Caravan hare doing a new album and very successfully taking the crowd- funding option; after aweek they're 88% of the way there!

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/cara...edge-campaign/

Link to campaign:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/caravan
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 09-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I'm in for the vinyl edition. Never thought we'd get another Caravan album so this is good news indeed.

Great news! That site's not very iPhone friendly, so I just hope I can remember to join in once I get home to my PC...

I'm in for a signed CD. If just so we can add Caravan to the "An album in all the last six decades" thread.

Good to see. Just take advantage of all your avenues... there are a good variety of paths these days for making money. I contributed to the Stick Men's last album too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does it say anywhere who's in the lineup now?

I don't know why some band sites omit the current lineup...who's in the band?? I'm in for the vinyl...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does it say anywhere who's in the lineup now?
    I know it's Hastings/Schelhaas/Richardson, not sure who the drummer (not Coughlan) and bassist are...

Great! I wish them success. They're one of the bands who have the window to take advantage of such a situation: bands who have been around and established a fanbase under the old system, but who still exist and who can hope to get some funding in this manner. It wouldn't for newer, lesser-known bands, though, although I guess those younger guys will have the energy to tour more.

Great! thanks for the head up, auto pledge!

I made it clear in the little comment they allow you to put together with the pledge that they'd better have some serious fuzzed organ on this album!

Best,

Hervé

Is it Caravan that still wheels out the original drummer, even though he's not really capable of playing anymore? It's a sweet story, just can't remember if it's them or not.

Also, did they do an album since Battle of Hastings, and if so, how is it?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is it Caravan that still wheels out the original drummer, even though he's not really capable of playing anymore? It's a sweet story, just can't remember if it's them or not.
    This happened once, when they did the DVD show at Metropolis studios which marked their return to active service in 2010. Richard Coughlan played a little percussion alongside new drummer Mark Walker. Bassist/vocalist Jim Leverton has been a member since 1995 and the "Battle Of Hastings" sessions. The band is currently a quintet with those two plus veteran members Pye Hastings (vocals/rhythm guitar), Geoffrey Richardson (viola/flute/lead guitar/spoons etc.) and Jan Schelhaas (keyboards).

^ Thanks, Aymeric. Can always count on you for the answers.

Thanks for letting us know about this. The last time I saw them, which was around 18 months ago, they played a couple of new tunes. I assume that the album will include them.

I wish that Richard Sinclair would come back (to front) lol.

I get the feeling that the album was mostly written, and they needed some $$$ in order to finish it up and get it out to the fans.

Oh how I miss the Sinclairs... but it sure says something about Caravan that the pledge is mostly funded in a week!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Oh how I miss the Sinclairs... but it sure says something about Caravan that the pledge is mostly funded in a week!
    Having followed them since about 1969, and like many on here, I count myself fortunate to have seen them through all their different line ups

As for the pledge money then, and it is clear to see at gigs, they still have a healthy and very loyal following

I'm not a huge fan of Breakfast item - will probably hold off on the preorder and see if I like it first. Great to hear that they are making new music.

Over time I have really warmed to both Battle of Hastings and Breakfast Item. A lot of great songwriting on each, and even some bona fide prog on the latter. Another one of those "classic era" bands where the new stuff really holds up.

Now it is true that Pye's voice *has* lost a lot of its clarity and he often can't hit those high notes anymore, but as long as he writes this album with that in mind, I still think it will be a good one. I am very excited about the new album.