Thread: Thinking about Star Wars

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Thinking about Star Wars

In the first one, Leia runs up to R2D2 and sticks something into him with a message for help to Obi Wan Kenobi. I am assuming the camera in IN R2D2. So later, Luke is trying to pry the item out and triggers the video of Leia inserting the item and giving the message. But if R2D2 had a camera, shouldn't we have seen her FROM THE FRONT instead of FROM THE SIDE??? Who took that image????
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

It's a hologram. The image is from the perspective of the viewer.

Banned
    You might as well be asking how can R2-D2 even exist since robots like him don't exist (in our world). That's why it's called Science Fiction.

Of all of the theoretical errors and storyline inconsistencies throughout Star Wars, this one's rather minor, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Yes, kind of strange that the message would show Leia inserting the hologram in to R2 from the side if it is the viewer's perspective? Who is the viewer? You would think Leia would be face on to the camera, but I guess that technology was too far advanced for the 70's to quite grasp...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

What I'm saying is that it's relative- the image can be displayed and viewed from any angle so the notion of "front" becomes moot. One might expect that she would display with her front to R2 if she was recorded that way but that would be a bad angle for the viewer (well, it might be a great angle but it would be a clumsy one). So why not rotate the image to a profile with respect to where the viewers are. R2 would want Luke to have as good an angle as Lucas wanted us to have.

You could probably find umpteen-gazillion such continuity/perspective errors in sci-fi alone if you spent a half-hour researching it. I recently watched a Time Trax episode that did something similar. Catching shit like that is what makes it fun!

Concerning Star Wars, just forget everything else and put on Revenge of the Sith and sit back and watch good ol' Palpatine cackle with eeeeee-villlllllllll glee as he takes over the galaxy! A co-worker of mine once put it best: "He's the only one having fun in this movie!"
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin