Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coverdale/Page and Plant/Page

Coverdale/Page and Plant/Page

Remember this little period of the early 90s? I was reminded of it last night and memories came flooding back when I listened again for the first time in many years. I thought both had their moments but neither was 100% successful, although they seemed to bring Zeppelin music back to a whole new generation of kids who may have considered it passé.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Coverdale & Page album was the stronger of the two !

Love the version of Gallows Pole from the Page & Plant MTV Unplugged show . Has it ever been made available on CD ?

The C-P album (which I still have) is brilliant the P-P album (which I sold very quickly) was bloody awful.

DC was singing better than RP back then, and JP was playing better with DC than he was with RP.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    but neither was 100% successful
    Maybe not over there but the Coverdale-Page album was huge in the UK. The P-P album however pretty much went down in flames like a German Zeppelin

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Maybe not over there but the Coverdale-Page album was huge in the UK. The P-P album however pretty much went down in flames like a German Zeppelin
    Oh, it was pretty big in Canada sales-wise, I just meant I didn't find it 100% successful as an album. I never thought the project worked on all levels. Looking back on it now, I like it more than I did at the time. I recall the Page/Plant album did rather well also, but my memory could be playing tricks. Not long after that, the Zeppelin tribute album Encomium was released and was quite popular for a time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've only sampled a track ot two on youtube of the Coverdale/Page album. It's hard to really judge it without actually hearing the album a few times. I've never seen it in stores though. But every review I've ever read of it has been positive.

Plant/Page: I only have the No Quarter DVD, which I think is fantastic. It could've been a Zeppelin reunion but for whatever reason they didn't invite JPJ. I think what they did with those songs was awesome. It's as good as the Zeppelin reunion concert at O2 arena in 2007.

I saw both of those P/P tours. The Unledded one was cool because hey, we were getting P/P with a big string section and that Arabic ensemble. Massive stage and when it worked, which was about two thirds of the time, it was great. "Since I've Been Loving You" with strings was fucking awesome. Page just rode that wall of strings in the solo. I remember Plant pointed at him after the song was over and saying "Jimmy Page on the electric guitar". Half of the string section (which was taken from the Minnesota Symphony) stood up and clapped. "Kashmir" was MASSIVE. But there were parts of the show that didn't work. The sound was too cluttered, the musicians were just too stolid.

The second tour, supporting Walking Into Clarksdale, was just Page, Plant, Plant's son-in-law on bass, a keyboard player, and some kid on drums that was damn good. First four songs or so they just locked in, no stage moves, no wandering, just five guys standing at the center pummeling the crowd. "Wanton Song" probably cracked the foundation. So yeah, that tour was just intense. Not the grandeur of Zeppelin, not quite as much muscle in the rhythm section either, but they kicked ass and took names.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

PP in roskilde 1995, replete with the egyptian orchestra, michael lee on drums and an occasional hurdy-gurdy – nothing short of awesome. CP had its moments, too, albeit being a bit overproduced.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I like Clarksdale a lot. It doesn't rock out like the Zep of old, but it sounds like they were going for a mature, moody, Jeff Buckley meets Presence type thing and if you take it on those terms it comes off pretty well. If you want to hear Plant wail and Page twiddle his fingers then you've still got your copy of Led Zeppelin II.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I went to the Page/Plant concert in the mid 90s. I'm not a Led Zeppelin fan at all. I own their boxes set and that's it. The show I saw at the Forum was ok.

Page was great on C/P and P & P. Clarksdale is terribly under appreciated. I thought it was fantastic and so was the tour. Unledded was great as well albeit, as someone said, the sound got a bit cluttered at times. Page was smoking on C/P but Coverdale was just OK. Live recordings from their brief tour put Coverdale in the worst light possible. He was awful. Coverdale, in his Purple days, was quite the front man but he was just such an ass on C/P. He couldn't hold Plant's mic cable.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I love Walking Into Clarksdale. Some great songs there. It's like a lost LZ album for me. I rate it higher than ITTOD. Never cared much for Coverdale/Page album.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I love Walking Into Clarksdale. Some great songs there. It's like a lost LZ album for me. I rate it higher than ITTOD. Never cared much for Coverdale/Page album.
    Personally I thought the C&P album sounded more like a LZ album than P&P.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Plant is just too seasoned and mature to sing cock rock. That's what Coverdale is for.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    That's because it did, I totally agree. Clarksdale was just weak and boring IMO.

Coverdale sounds a lot like Plant in that clip.

Page/Plant - Unledded - I thought was great, and very interesting, and well worth keeping.
    Walking Into Clarksdale is not bad, but not great. I have to give it another listen, but I never warmed up to it. Perhaps I was hoping for too much.

The Coverdale/Page album is OK, it suffers from the time it was made. I won't get rid of it, but if my copy was lost or destroyed, I wouldn't replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Plant is just too seasoned and mature to sing cock rock. That's what Coverdale is for.
    I have no idea what that means, what the heck is cock rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Well, our opinions differ) Coverdale & Page sounded like a remake of 1987 Whitesnake album, with Page on board, for more natural resemblance with LZ. But it's only a fake, and it intended to be so.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Coverdale & Page sounded like a remake of 1987 Whitesnake album, with Page on board
    Yes. Yes it did.

Coverdale Page felt a bit cliched for me, a few decent tracks but the production is kind of 'hair metal' Imho.
    That was sort of the impression I got from listening to a couple tracks here and there. I didn't want to mention it, but I think that's what's kept me from ordering C/P.

But it's entirely worth it for Page. He's on fire on the C/P record.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

The Coverdale/Page record is very good! Lots of good riffage from Jimmy and Coverdale's lyrics aren't as stupid as usual. I think this is Page's best post-Zep record and is criminally underrated!

Another vote for C/P here. It almost sounds like a long lost Zep recording in places.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Another vote for C/P here. It almost sounds like a long lost Zep recording in places.
    Glad 2 agree !If the P&P albums were an indication of the direction Zep would have gone i don't think theyd have maintained my interest !