Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Album Was Your Last with Big 5 or 6 or 7

What Album Was Your Last with Big 5 or 6 or 7

With most every group I collected back in the day there came a point where I lost interest and stopped. Has this happened to you and if so, what was that point?

Here's mine:

Kansas - Audiovisions
    Yes - Drama
    King Crimson - Discipline
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Styx - Paradise Theater
    Gentle Giant - Missing Piece
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    Rick Wakeman - Rhapsodies
    Dream Theater - Train of Thought
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

ELP - Works Volume 2
    Kansas - Monolith
    Genesis - And then there were three
    Yes - Drama
    Caravan - Blind Dog at St. Dunstans
    Camel - Nude

There may have been single cuts after those that I found interesting , but for the most part those were the end of the trail.
    There are more that I came back to after abandoning for 10 years or so, tastes change over the years.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
    Yes - Fly From Here
    Genesis - Calling All Stations
    King Crimson - The Power To Believe
    Camel - A Wink & A Nod
    Gentle Giant - Civilian
    ELP - In The Hot Seat

I don't feel any of these bands put out anything worthwhile afterwards.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Crimson - The ConstruKction Of Light
    Tull - A
    Floyd - DB
    Yes - Open Your Eyes
    ELP - Works Vol. 2

PF and Genesis are two of the few groups where I actually owned all of their studio albums.

does the question require that we bought/owned all the artists albums up through that last one? the reason i ask is because with Yes, i bought 90125, Magnification and OYE but not all before or in between.

Kansas - PoKR
    Rush - S&A
    Gentle Giant - Missing Piece (bought the box set with Playing the Fool, Civilian, GfaD years afterwards)
    Tull - A
    Genesis - Duke
    Renaissance - Camera Camera
    Camel - The Single Factor
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

At the time of release:

KC - A Young Person's Guide to King Crimson
    Yes - Relayer
    Robert Wyatt - Ruth is Stranger Than Richard
    VdGG - World Record
    Procol Harum - Broken Barricades
    Hammill - Nadir's Big Chance
    JT - LitP
    Soft Machine - Bundles
    The Who - Tommy
    Strawbs - Ghosts
    GG - Interview
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Genesis - TotT
    Caravan - ... & the New Symphonia
    Roxy Music - Siren
    Traffic - Low Spark....
    Groundhogs - Hogwash
    Henry Cow - Concerts
    Magma - Live/Hhai
    Kevin Ayers - ....Dr. Dream
    ELP - Pictures....
    FZ - Grand Wazoo
    LZ - IV
    Last edited by mogrooves; 08-16-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    With most every group I collected back in the day there came a point where I lost interest and stopped. Has this happened to you and if so, what was that point?

Here's mine:

Kansas - Audiovisions
    Yes - Drama
    King Crimson - Discipline
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Styx - Paradise Theater
    Gentle Giant - Missing Piece
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    Rick Wakeman - Rhapsodies
    Dream Theater - Train of Thought
    I never listened to Kansas too much - have one or two early CDs. I have never heard a note of Dream Theater. Yes - I like one song on Talk but nothing much after Drama. Eric, if you've not tried out Power to Believe by KC - run. Rick Wakeman - have lots but like very little. Rush - MP too. Styx - earlier than Paradise Theater. Gentle Giant - Interview. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here but like some of the later stuff.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
    Yes - Fly From Here
    King Crimson - The Power To Believe
    Camel - A Wink & A Nod
    Gentle Giant - Civilian
    ELP - In The Hot Seat

I don't feel any of these bands put out anything worthwhile afterwards.
    Other than a live album recorded before FFH, Yes hasn't put out anything. So, how can they have put out something worthwhile after FFH?

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    King Crimson - Power To Believe
    Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses
    Yes - Going For The One
    Genesis - The Lamb...
    Caravan - For Girls...
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets
    King Crimson - Live at the Marquee, 1971
    Tull - Around the World, Live
    Yes - Relayer
    Genesis - Live
    Caravan - For Girls ...

For me, it's a less a matter of "I'm not spending anymore money on this drivel" and more a matter of "I don't have the money to buy everything that interests me". So, for instance, the reason I don't have Fly From Here isn't that I didn't like Magnification (though I was surely disappointed in a couple of it's predecessors) but more than I just couldn't afford to buy it when it came out.

Similarly, the reason I don't have any Genesis albums post-Abacab is just never got around to buying them.

With ELP, though, after awhile, I just heard so much talk of how terrible the reunion albums were, I just eventually stopped worrying about it.

The only Pink Floyd albums I've never owned are More, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured By Clouds, and Delicate Sound Of Thunder. I have all the others on either LP and/or CD (believe it or not, Pulse is one of the ones I have on LP!).

Now there are a few bands where I bought a given album, and thought "I'm not sure I'm going to go any further with these guys". With Caravan, that album was Blind Dog At St. Dunstan's. Great album cover, but I remember thinking the songwriting was way too MOR. I believe I subsequently read that was the period where they were actively trying to "crack America", so maybe that had something to do with it. But I never picked up any of the albums after that. I think I heard there was an eventual return to form, as it were, but again I haven't heard the records.

Same thing with Camel. I think the last Camel album I have is I Can See Your House From Here. I thought Eye Of The Storm was an amazing instrumental (given it's origins, how could it not be?), but I recall the rest of the album was...let's say less impressive. And somehow or another, I just never got around to getting anything subsequent to that one.

I forget what the last Gentle Giant album I have is, I think it might be the live album, Playing The Fool. What came after that one?

I do have every King Crimson studio album, and at least for awhile, I had most of the live albums. I don't have any of the recent ultra deluxe retirement fund reissues with the bonus tracks and all the rest of it.

But if I had unlimited resources, I'd probably have kept buying Tull albums (last one I have is Crest Of Knave), Genesis albums, etc.

ELP- Love Beach
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Either that last one by KCrimson (can't recall the name) or A Nod and a Wink by Camel. Both are OK, but I honestly couldn't do much more "big 5/6/7" now - these are over and done with, IMO. Just the way I see it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets
    King Crimson - Live at the Marquee, 1971
    Tull - Around the World, Live
    Yes - Relayer
    Genesis - Live
    Caravan - For Girls ...
    I assume that these are the last albums you bought by the band rather than the point in their sequential discography that you stopped getting any more. Maybe I misunderstood the original post, I was assuming it was the latter rather than the former.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Genesis- Invisible Touch
    Yes - 90125
    Camel - The Single Factor
    ELP - Works 2

I haven't stopped buying PF or JT albums so if they release another album I'll buy that too.

Camel - Dust And Dreams
    Dream Theater - never, nothing, ever.
    ELP - Black Moon
    Genesis - We Can't Dance
    Gentle Giant - never really stopped….
    Hawkwind - Levitation, but picked it back up in the late 90s
    Jethro Tull - Rock Island
    Kansas - Monolith?
    King Crimson - THrak or so
    Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager
    Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse
    Rush - Grace Under Pressure
    Styx - Grand Illusion (which I shoplifted)
    Yes - Magnification

Mind you, since that time, I've gone and purchased albums to "fill in the blanks" in my collection.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

The ones I still own

Camel-Moonmadness
    Caravan-For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer-Love Beach
    Genesis-And Then There Were Three
    Gentle Giant-The Missing Piece
    Jethro Tull-Songs From the Wood
    King Crimson-Discipline
    Magma-Félicité Thösz
    Mahavishnu Orchestra-Visions of the Emerald Beyond
    Pink Floyd-The Final Cut
    Van der Graaf Generator-A Grounding in Numbers
    Yes-The Ladder

Camel-Moonmadness was the last good one
    Genesis-Invisible Touch was the bad one that made me stop
    Gentle Giant-The Missing Piece had a few decent songs but that was about it
    King Crimson-Thraak killed it for me but the Power To Believe brought me back
    Pink Floyd-Even the later ones were worth listening to
    ELP - Works left me cold
    Tull - A was about it
    Renaissance - A Song for All Seasons was the last decent one
    Yes - Tormato left me gasping for the good old days
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I see many Yes end with Tormato and Going For the One and I think I would've been in that boat if the line-up hadn't changed for Drama. The buzz around Drama was enough to pull me back, but the hit single from 90125 was enough to warn me off of that one.

With KC I liked Discipline and saw that tour twice, but nothing beyond grabbed me and by the time Power to Believe came around my tastes had changed.

ELP: *shudder* In The Hot Seat *shudder*
    Yes: Magnification
    King Crimson: not counting the 4,872,971 reissues/live albums, TPTB
    Genesis: Wind and Wuthering
    Gentle Giant: Civilian
    Pink Floyd: The Division Bell
    ...or you could love

Yes: Yes - Drama + ABWH. I've owned most post Drama albums, but liquidated all of them.

Genesis: Trespass - W&W. Again, I've owned most of ther albums past W&W, but ultimately none have kept my interest; though there are songs on most of them I like and sometimes I miss Duke a bit. Never been a fan of From Genesis to Revelation.

ELP: S/T - Works Volume II + ELPowell.

Jethro Tull: Stand Up - A + Crest of a Knave and TAAB2. Owned everything, except .Com, but just cannot get into any post A albums save Crest, which oddly is among my favorites.

KC: ItCotCK - Power to Believe, except for Islands, Beat, and ToaPP, which I just don't enjoy.

GG: Own all of them, but really don't like GfaD and am not that fond of the debut or Missing Piece. Civilian I like, but it's not really a proper "GG" album, imo.

Pink Floyd: Not a big fan, I only own Dark Side - The Wall, my favorite being Animals.

Camel: S/T - Raindances. I've owned most of the others but nothing after that has really excited, Nude perhaps being the closest.

Kansas: S/T - PoKR. After that, meh.

Rush: 2112 - Signals. Before and after that, meh.

Renaissance: Prologue - Scheherazade. I owned Novella and Azure d'Or, but they didn't do it for me, so I ditched them.

Bill

Sputnki said:
    Kansas: S/T - PoKR. After that, meh.
    There are great tunes on both Audiovisions and Monlith, but each are lacking as a complete package.

Of the 'Big' bands that I actually followed, I have most everything up to & including recent releases like Fly From Here (Yes) and TAAB2 (Jethrian Andertull). Not that I expect output comparable to their classic heydays, but it can still be enjoyable to visit with old friends like that, from time to time.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com