Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XTC- Drums and Wires coming in 5.1! Wilson style...

Isn't that spelled with an 'O' and one 'N' Kerry?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    You guys who are older probably do not realize the impact of encountering Larks Tongues, Maggot Brain, CTTE, Escalator on the Hill, Inner Mounting Flame, In a Silent Way for the first time in the early to mid 80s, how revolutionary this must have sounded to an 80s kid surrounded by cookie cutter, lowest common denominator post punk records.
    True, perhaps, Nav, but you probably don't realize the imapct of encountering all the things you cited for the first time, period. Just because a lot of great shit was going on around it, that didn't make, for example, Inner Mounting Flame any less earth-shattering or life-changing. They were that way because they were that way, irrespective of time. That's what makes them such classics - it doesn't matter when they're played, they still sound raw, fresh....and hungry

Banned
    Good to hear that this is released in 5.1.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Isn't that spelled with an 'O' and one 'N' Kerry?
    I think that's quite possible!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    As much as I love the small, wizened sound of the original mix, I am fascinated to find out what Wilson brings to the table. I LOVE this album.

Why 5.1 Progholio? Well I just today finished the surround mix of an old album of mine, the first surround mix of a studio recording I've ever done and I'm pretty certain it's going to be the single best-sounding thing I've ever released, and a lot of it is to do with the simple thing of being surrounded by sound. You can give a fullness, and also bring so much clarity to the elements of the recording, in a way that just isn't spatially possible in standard stereo; at least this is what I've come to believe.
    The isolation of instruments in a proper 5.1 mix helps the handling of the dynamic range of the music. In particular seperating the bass into a seperate 0.1 channel allows minimization of compression effects on it and the rest of the channels. I remember someone comment on Wilson's 5.1 of Pink Floyd's WYWH versus the lossless version of the original, non remixed Quad version. They liked the Quad because it was more lively between the channels. However, when we listened to the 5.1 lossless remix and then the Quad, the Quad was big letdown because of the loss in dynamic range and clarity/isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...eissue-51-mix/

Drool.... I always loved that album.
    fantastic album! one of their 3 best along with English Settlement and Mummer
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    You guys who are older probably do not realize the impact of encountering Larks Tongues, Maggot Brain, CTTE, Escalator on the Hill, Inner Mounting Flame, In a Silent Way for the first time in the early to mid 80s, how revolutionary this must have sounded to an 80s kid surrounded by cookie cutter, lowest common denominator post punk records.
    Whilst the albums you cite are all classics, I can not agree with the dismissal of XTC as "cookie cutter, lowest common denominator post punk"

if you cited the Thompson Twins or Petshop Boys then I would agree
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?