Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: An Ozric Tentacles thread

Can't wait to hear the new album! May 11!

Saw the Ozrics performance in Buffalo, NY Thursday night. They were amazing to say the least. Unfortunately they didn't perform anything from the
    New release, but what they did perform was fantastic. They had a few Tech issues with Silas' right channel for the first few tunes, but got that taken
    care of and they were On Fire. If you are an Ozrics Fan, go see this current tour. You will not be disappointed.

Scott
    http://www.stillstream.fm Internet Radio ( Your place for Solace on the Net )

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Why nothing from the new album? Weird.

Also, no merch at all. I guess they have already sold all of it? But yes, Buffalo was a great show!

neil

Just got back from seeing Ozric Tentacles tonight in the Philly area. They were really great. Yeah, they didn't seem to play anything from the new one or if they did they didn't announce it. Also, I didn't see any merch either. Oh well. Still a great show. Consider the Source were very good also.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Also, no merch at all. I guess they have already sold all of it? But yes, Buffalo was a great show!

neil
    You are correct about the Merch. Before the performance I was able to talk with Brandi (bass player), and ask why no T-Shirts, CD's etc. and she told me that they did in fact sell out of everything prior to the Buffalo show. She did tell me that when their tour is finished (July) she will be back restocking T-Shirts for purchase at the Ozrics Shop. I hope so as there is only One T-Shirt currently being sold in size Men's X-Large, most all the rest are size Men's Large.

Scott

[I hope so as there is only One T-Shirt currently being sold in size Men's X-Large, most all the rest are size Men's Large.]

Is this all that was available on their website?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

Is this all that was available on their website?
    Correct, as far as T-Shirts
    https://ozric-tentacles.backstreetmerch.com/

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srtd4 View Post
    Correct, as far as T-Shirts
    https://ozric-tentacles.backstreetmerch.com/

Scott
    Actually, it appears the black Erpland t shirt is available in Men's XL. There doesn't seem to be any shirts representing the latest album though.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Actually, it appears the black Erpland t shirt is available in Men's XL.
    Oops.

Scott

Great show last night in Philly. I was up against the stage on Ed's side and had to fend off a couple wasted people who tried leaning over and touching Ed's pedal board. It looked like one guy was about the 'ralphhhhh' all over the stage until a few of us convinced him to seek out the bathroom.

Very enthusiastic crowd and great performance. They played at least two of their new songs from what I could tell, and having retrieved the setlist it appears they played three new songs.

As for merch and all that, I went to the show with my dad and I told him they'd likely be the first band he's ever seen who will not sell any merch. The last three Ozrics shows I've went to didn't have any merch either, so I don't know what the deal is with the band. With a little more promo and exposure they could likely have a bigger audience.

I've heard that Ed inherited a lot of money so doesn't really have to 'work' so that might explain why the band doesn't seem to take promotion and marketing very seriously.

Hey, yeah I was at the show last night too.

I actually think they have a pretty good sized audience and fanbase but the thing is many of them seem to be jam fans. You don't get many young twenty year old females at most typical prog shows. They seem to have a pretty good sized young hippy jam band following. I remember several years ago some guy telling me that the Ozric shows audience is either really young(20 somethings)or much older(55 and over)with not much in between. Judging by last night's show I would have to agree. I didn't seem many people who appeared to be in their thirties or forties. I'm 45 and I almost felt out of place. LOL.

Anyway, not sure what the deal is with the merch either. I am admittedly not overly familiar with the bands catalog apart from some of their early 90's releases. Back in the day I had Jurassic Shift, Strangeitude and Arboresence. I'm pretty sure they played some stuff from Jurassic Shift.

Since you were right in front of the stage did you see when that young woman jumped on stage and started to dance. She was up there for about two minutes before a security guy pulled her away. Kind of funny. The band didn't seem to mind but that is just not really appropriate for her to be there. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I've heard that Ed inherited a lot of money so doesn't really have to 'work' so that might explain why the band doesn't seem to take promotion and marketing very seriously.
    I have always been curious how they could survive financially without having Real Side Jobs.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srtd4 View Post
    I have always been curious how they could survive financially without having Real Side Jobs.

Scott
    Well they do have at least a few side projects for one thing. Plus they kind of live the hippie lifestyle as far as I know so they don't really have a need for extravagant things maybe. Not sure really.

The Ozrics are coming back to headline the Schuylkill festival (Meeting of the Minds # 8) the weekend of September 26th, which is when they play (around 10pm 'til midnight or more).
    http://nysmusic.com/2015/06/17/jibbe...ounces-lineup/
    Jibberjazz festivals at Schuylkill are extremely liberal regarding dress codes, pets, kids, beverages & substances, so everyone has a great time. I believe Brandi & Ed like to play there because of the seventies festival type of atmosphere. We'll be there with Illumenatrix lights... so I hope they have some merch by then, 'cos merch is their saviour when touring.... shoot, Ozric CDs don't sell in the millions any more... but they DO sell well at gigs.
    Last edited by Mick; 06-26-2015 at 09:12 AM. Reason: additional info

Of all the bands I met at NEARfest brewing my incredible coffee in the green room, The Ozrics are the only ones that ever invited me to come with them on the rest of their tour to make coffee for them.

I still wonder what it might have been like had I gone - and wish them nothing but success.

Here's my review of the mind-alteringly splendid Technicians of the Sacred at The Progressive Aspect.net

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...of-the-sacred/

I was jus' wondrin' if anyone else on PE is going to be in Schuylkill Haven on the 26th?

Ozric just announced for Terminal West here in Atlanta 10/7....Tix only $15.00...ordered mine.

Looking forward to picking up the new CD if they have it for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Ozric just announced for Terminal West here in Atlanta 10/7....Tix only $15.00...ordered mine.

Looking forward to picking up the new CD if they have it for sale
    That's awesome. They still put on a good show, and Brandi (sp?) has improved tremendously as a bass player since the last time that I saw them. They don't seem to bring merch with them, though. I was hoping to pick up the new one in Buffalo, but they had no CDs, or t-shirts. Apparently the norm.

Enjoy the show!

neil

I just did their visual projections at the Schuylkill festival show last night (their third time with Jibberjazz).
    Tremendous show with perfect moonlight above the whole well attended affair.
    The band had absolutely NO merchandise...
    Ed told me they'd sold out too early in the tour.
    Please bring MUCH more merch next time Brandi, road bands still need to spread their names with tactile items in our temporarily lopsided download world.
    I'm sure they would have sold dozens of shirts and CDs if they'd had 'em.
    No set list spoilers, but they did include three cuts from the new double album and Brandi played her brandinew (sic) 5-string bass brilliantly, proving that she is easily holding her own with the band on stage AND in the studio. Very tight and exciting set.
    The Ozrics head up into New England and stay in the East for another week before going back to their new safe haven in Colorado.
    (BTW, They now have floods instead of fires there)
    Last edited by Mick; 09-27-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    The Ozrics head up into New England and stay in the East for another week before going back to their new safe haven in Colorado.
    why do they live in Colorado?

ok... that was a groaner... guilty as charged
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    why do they live in Colorado?
    ok... that was a groaner... guilty as charged
    .... OK, Yet that was also a very legitimate (as in legal) question.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I see Burning Shed is releasing (or selling) vinyl of Pongmaster's Ball soon. That's pretty cool. Not into vinyl again, but I think Ozrics would be fun to have on vinyl!

I'd not heard the Ozrics for ages, so I pulled out my collection, put it on shuffle and suddenly the world seemed a little more easygoing again.

It also got me thinking - what if you hadn't heard the band before? Where would you start, given how many albums they've produced over the years?

As I journeyed through their music, one album kept influencing me more than others, and that was Erpland. I thought it might be cool to make the album the subject of a new blog review, so spacing out for a while, I'm now back on earth and here's the result:

https://momentstransition.wordpress.com/2018/02/12/ozric-tentacles-erpland-1990/

Hope you enjoy it.