Thread: 'Rock of Ages' musical to close in the UK!

'Rock of Ages' musical to close in the UK!

Apparently it didn't take off in the UK & the West End show is to close after only two years. Critics are blaming the score being too American and not suitable for the UK public. WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Apparently it didn't take off in the UK & the West End show is to close after only two years. Critics are blaming the score being too American and not suitable for the UK public. WTF!
    I haven't seen it, but I saw the guys on That Metal Show kvetching about it. I guess the movie (yeah, they turned it into a movie too) sort of ridicules in a very unfriendly way the whole 80's hard rock scene, which strikes me as not being the kind of thing I want spend good money on.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I didn't know there was a musical. I saw the movie. Cost me nothing. It featured at least as many songs by UK bands as US bands. And even some by Canadian and German bands.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/rock-o...k-mw0002345769

Believe it or not, it was not the worst movie I have seen.

Critics on this side of the pond didn't like it either. I think they take it too seriously.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1336608/?ref_=sr_1
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I didn't last 15 minutes into the flick. The first scene with Alec Baldwin sealed the deal for me. It seemed like a bad Saturday Night Live skit. What were they thinking?

I didn't know there was a musical. I saw the movie. Cost me nothing. It featured at least as many songs by UK bands as US bands. And even some by Canadian and German bands.
    I guess the point is that the whole "glam metal" thing isn't as big a pop culture deal in the UK as it is Stateside.

Out of curiosity, what was the worst movie you've seen. For me, it's gonna be pretty hard to top The Apple (I won't even mention Slice Of Terror).

Two years is hardly a bad run, surely?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Two years is hardly a bad run, surely?
    West End shows can run for years ! Rock of Ages had to be moved to a smaller theater within the first year due to poor demand. Apparently they are going to do a national tour before it folds . I understand its a different story altogether in the States & won many awards ?

West End shows can run for years ! Rock of Ages had to be moved to a smaller theater within the first year due to poor demand. Apparently they are going to do a national tour before it folds . I understand its a different story altogether in the States & won many awards ?
    I don't know about winning any awards, but apparently it was big enough for them to make a movie with a bunch of has been actors out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I don't know about winning any awards, but apparently it was big enough for them to make a movie with a bunch of has been actors out of it.
    Is Tom Cruise past his sell by date, I still thought he was a Hollywood 'A' list actor???

West End shows can run for years !
    True, but primarily as tourist traps!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I guess the point is that the whole "glam metal" thing isn't as big a pop culture deal in the UK as it is Stateside.
    No, it isn't.

Just based on the ads for the US version of the show, I'm amazed anyone would want to see this, it looks and sounds so horrible. It's mostly songs I hated in the 80's, and even the songs I like, they do this horrible broadway thing to them, taking away any possible coolness factor. You would have to pay me to see this show. A thousand bucks will do if anyone's buying....