Thread: The innocence mission - any fans here?

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

The innocence mission - any fans here?

One of my most beloved non-prog bands are the innocence mission, centered around married couple Karen and Don Peris. I've become a fan through 1989s self-titled debut, just like the follow-up "Umbrella" produced by Larry Klein. In this period, TIE was in fact just another 10,000 Maniacs/The Sundays-clone, although the sweet voice and talent of Karen Paris already stood out, but with 1995 classic "Glow" they changed their style quite a bit, and they've become more stripped down with every release.

I know Sufjan Stevens is a fan, having covered a song. As they seldom tour, and never been to Europe, visiting a performance is a life-long desire.

Anyway, any fans around here?

Here are three of their more well-known song:

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Can't believe I'm the only one...

I like them. Saw them live once, and they put on a lovely show. I didn't really think they were a Sundays clone, but then, I liked the Sundays a bit better, depending on mood-I quite like the Sundays-Innocence Mission were always mellower overall. I liked their first few albums the best, but there are scattered gems throughout their career. I'd happily see them again.

I definitely loved the self-titled debut, and parts of the next few, but kind of lost track of them since the mid-late 90's. I do go back and listen to the s/t, Umbrella and Glow now and then, and I think I also have one called Birds of our Neighborhood or something like that, but I think that's one of those more "stripped down" ones, which kind of lost me, I guess.