Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What do you guys think of Ozzy's performance here?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno
    Ozzy sounds horrible. Dio would sound better right at this moment!
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Isn't Dio dead?
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Think that's his point
    Precisely!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno
    Ozzy sounds horrible. Dio would sound better right at this moment! For me liking hard rock/metal a lot, Sabbath was never a band I got into. Dio solo was the key to my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    This makes less sense to me than just about anything I've ever read here.
    Because you do not agree with it?

Even the best "Dio solo" is watered down, third cousin's stepchild's Heaven and Hell.
    As if your ranking of Dio albums over Sabbath albums really matters to my listening habits?

If you love Dio, you really should revisit the Sabbath albums with Dio. There's a reason they are held in such high regard. I'm fairly certain Ronnie James Dio himself regarded Heaven & Hell as his very finest hour.
    I have the Dio years boxed set. I never reach for it when I want to hear some Dio. Why should I revisit it if I don't really care for most of it?

Incidentally, if you think you are going to get "into" a band when they are 45 years into the game, that's an unusual approach. Might want to try a few of their most highly regarded works and hear them in their "prime." Then go from there ...
    Who says I was trying to get into Sabbath at all? I'm doing just fine without their music in my playlists, thanks.

I realize that "tastes vary" and such, but to me, if you like Dio's solo career but these albums don't appeal, you need to look inward. Something isn't translating and it's up to you to figure it out or lose out.
    "need to look inward"? What a load of rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Even over the course of his solo career Dio worked with something like 20 different band members while the role of singer/lyricist that Dio played in terms of creating the music on those albums wasn't all that different from the one he played with Rainbow and Sabbath. Dio just had ultimate veto and hiring/firing authority. It's Dio singing and writing the lyrics with a guitarist, a bassist, a drummer and sometimes a keyboardist whether you are listening to Rising, Heaven and Hell or Holy Diver. So yeah, it seems silly if someone is all ready fan of Dio singing and writing lyrics with a guitarist, bassist and drummer to draw an artificial line of demarcation between his "solo" work and his work with Sabbath and Rainbow.
    With me, there is no artificial line drawn, as you put it. I simply am not a fan of Black Sabbath. It may be difficult for some to understand, but that's not my problem. I did enjoy "The Devil Is Me" from Heaven & Hell. Saw them and it was decent. Dio was the reason I was there.

I have met Ozzy, Dio and everyone in Black Sabbath numerous times. All have been very nice to me. I also have almost every Ozzy Osbourne release. Even then, I prefer some Ozzy solo over any Sabbath. Please don't have a coronary.

Dream evil!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Precisely!

Because you do not agree with it?

As if your ranking of Dio albums over Sabbath albums really matters to my listening habits?

I have the Dio years boxed set. I never reach for it when I want to hear some Dio. Why should I revisit it if I don't really care for most of it?

Who says I was trying to get into Sabbath at all? I'm doing just fine without their music in my playlists, thanks.

With me, there is no artificial line drawn, as you put it. I simply am not a fan of Black Sabbath. It may be difficult for some to understand, but that's not my problem. I did enjoy "The Devil Is Me" from Heaven & Hell. Saw them and it was decent. Dio was the reason I was there.

I have met Ozzy, Dio and everyone in Black Sabbath numerous times. All have been very nice to me. I also have almost every Ozzy Osbourne release. Even then, I prefer some Ozzy solo over any Sabbath. Please don't have a coronary.

Dream evil!
    I'm not passing judgement or anything. It's just that Heaven And Hell and Mob Rules have never sounded all that dramatically far removed from Holy Diver and The Last In Line to me. They sound closer to Dio to me than they do to, say, Ozzy era Sabbath albums like Paranoid or Master of Reality because they have more uptempo "power metal" type songs and less of the slower doom laden dirge metal. The biggest difference to me is Iommi's more old school guitar approach versus Vivian Campbell working with more of the Randy Rhoads/Eddie Van Halen palette. I enjoy all of it myself.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Not at all. I think sometimes we all develop perceptions of certain music that can be so out of step with what others hear that it's only healthy to consider we might be missing something instead of assuming everybody else has hearing problems and we're just so special we must have amazingly unique taste.

My guess is that you couldn't find one person in ten thousand who shares your view on Dio solo being great but who doesn't like Dio-era Sabbath and same with Ozzy solo and Sabbath. Not that it matters or that there can be any "right or wrong," but unless you have an out of control ego, that should give you pause and cause you to realize you might be missing out on some wonderful musical experiences. At least from a singer you seem to love (Dio).

But if you already own Heaven and Hell and just haven't liked it after a few spins, then I'd say forget it. There are other albums, but if you don't like H&H then Sabbath w/ Dio probably just isn't for you.

Not at all. I think sometimes we all develop perceptions of certain music that can be so out of step with what others hear that it's only healthy to consider we might be missing something instead of assuming everybody else has hearing problems and we're just so special we must have amazingly unique taste.
    You are acting as if I listened to Sabbath once and vomited.

My guess is that you couldn't find one person in ten thousand who shares your view on Dio solo being great but who doesn't like Dio-era Sabbath
    I know of quite a few. We are out there in great numbers. There are great numbers who ONLY enjoy Dio solo. It's a wonderful world!

and same with Ozzy solo and Sabbath. Not that it matters or that there can be any "right or wrong," but unless you have an out of control ego, that should give you pause and cause you to realize you might be missing out on some wonderful musical experiences. At least from a singer you seem to love (Dio).
    I'm not missing out.

But if you already own Heaven and Hell and just haven't liked it after a few spins, then I'd say forget it. There are other albums, but if you don't like H&H then Sabbath w/ Dio probably just isn't for you.
    Uh... didn't I say that in the first place before you tried to throw all this about egos and looking inward and all that other stuff?

Uh... didn't I say that in the first place before you tried to throw all this about egos and looking inward and all that other stuff?
    Look, this is becoming way too difficult.

Now excuse me ... I don't care for Yes, but I must go listen to Jon Anderson.

Now excuse me ... I don't care for Yes, but I must go listen to Jon Anderson.
    It may be difficult for you to swallow; apparently if you don't like Sabbath except for a few songs, then some fanboys will get snippy -- go figure.

Some don't like The Beatles but they enjoy the solo work of John Lennon and/or Paul McCartney.
    Some like Phil Collins solo and never cared for Genesis.
    I know many who love Sting but they don't warm up to The Police.

If any of that is difficult for you to understand, then maybe you shouldn't worry about it too much.

Ya know what... the world keeps spinning and your music collection is still yours.

"It's always a mystery."

Magic.

Banned

this is so off, it feels on.