Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Cruise To The Edge Announces 2014 Line Up

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was there weed smoking aplenty going on aboard the good ship Mighty Buzz?*

* (Traditional weed question to spark debate.)
    From what I heard (I did not see it personally, may have been the other Yes show), security hauled someone out during the Roundabout encore for smoking a joint. I did not smell any the whole time, but maybe was not in the right place.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did they make him walk the plank?

One of the cruise lines (not MSC) has an actual plank you can walk (while you wear a safety harness).

Many thanks to Obscured (by Clouds) for the two Marillion clips, even if the This Strange Engine one cuts off before the song ends. I was lucky enough to see this truly great band three times on their last US tour (Los Angeles x 2 and San Francisco) and they were incredible all three nights. I was tempted to go on the Cruise just for them but I remembered, I get sea sick really quickly!
    ...or you could love

WeatherWiseCDC
    It looks like the female vocal lyrics were omitted from Sound of Contact's performance of "Beyond Illumination." Its conversion into a guitar solo was a good alternative, but then the "still believing" bit is left out entirely. Even if that part is played on keys, it's better than leaving it out, in my opinion.

Thanks to Michael McGrath for the video. Hope everyone enjoyed the experience!
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 04-15-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    One of the cruise lines (not MSC) has an actual plank you can walk (while you wear a safety harness).
    That is Norwegian Cruise Lines ship Breakaway. I was on it last year.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    It looks like the female vocal lyrics were omitted from Sound of Contact's performance of "Beyond Illumination." Its conversion into a guitar solo was a good alternative, but then the "still believing" bit is left out entirely. Even if that part is played on keys, it's better than leaving it out, in my opinion.

Thanks to Michael McGrath for the video. Hope everyone enjoyed the experience!
    Hey there! I do believe that is me singing from 4:25 until the rest of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    At 5+ minutes where CS walks over to JW: "You stole my drummer, you muthaf*cker!"
    Hahaha

The Marillion vids were great, wish I could have been there.

I feel like Marillion's fan base could blossom a little bit more given a chance to play for the college crowds here across the states. They really have matured into one helluva live act with a great wealth of material.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I feel like Marillion's fan base could blossom a little bit more given a chance to play for the college crowds here across the states. They really have matured into one helluva live act with a great wealth of material.
    Agreed, and it's gratifying to see Marillion still picking up new fans who don't really have a clue what they're all about these days. But if they're going to make it on the college circuit I'm afraid Rothery is going to have to get healthy.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm afraid Rothery is going to have to get healthy.
    Did he sit for the whole show?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Did he sit for the whole show?
    Comment via the youtube uploaders channel says he hurt his back a few days prior and sat the entire set.

More importantly, surprised no one has asked, how if any was the interaction between Gary Green/3 Friends and Geoff Downes??
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Comment via the youtube uploaders channel says he hurt his back a few days prior and sat the entire set.
    I thought maybe it was because of the rolling sea - I can see the ship moving!

More importantly, surprised no one has asked, how if any was the interaction between Gary Green/3 Friends and Geoff Downes??
    ????

No he stood a few times, not much, but a couple times, like the Easter solo for instance--he stood for that. He also seemed to have no problem walking on or off stage and he joked about the whole thing during the q and a. And on Tuesday, before he hurt his back he was standing through the whole 90 minute Armando Gallo Genesis App demonstration and then some. I think its just a minor thing that can happen to any of us from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I feel like Marillion's fan base could blossom a little bit more given a chance to play for the college crowds here across the states
    But the same old problem would be there: how do they fund getting across the pond with all their equipment? They've made it pretty clear that they're not up for another fan-funded tour --I'd gladly chip in a few hundred bucks-- and they have no record company support. Plus, last time 'round in 2012 they had problems getting entrance visas to the US, they almost had to cancel the US dates. I really regret missing the last fan convention in Montreal, I love the Radiation album and there'll probably never be a chance to hear Brave complete again.
    ...or you could love

In response to an earlier question, Moon Safari's Black and White lounge setlist was as follows:

Too Young To Say Goodbye
    Heartland
    Crossed the Rubicon
    Barfly
    Mega Moon
    A Kid Called Panic
    Lover's End Pt. III: Skellefteå Serenade
    Constant Bloom

(mid-set sequence may be in wrong order)

The band were on form and the crowd loved it.

We were late for the pool stage set (arriving during Heartland) but the set appeared to be exactly the same - except no Constant Bloom because they were already 10mins over time and road crew didn't waste one second in dismantling the monitors at the end of LE pt3.

We missed the storytellers/Q&A sesssion completely.

MS were another band on the bill with a temp drummer - didn't catch the name!

I don't recall Moon Safari's drummer's name either, but they said he came from Black Bonzo. There were at least 3 temp drummers on board, Marillion and Soft Machine Legacy had a temp drummer. John Marshall just had a pace maker implanted (according to John Etheridge he passed out during a gig!) and was ok but not able to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    I don't recall Moon Safari's drummer's name either, but they said he came from Black Bonzo. There were at least 3 temp drummers on board, Marillion and Soft Machine Legacy had a temp drummer. John Marshall just had a pace maker implanted (according to John Etheridge he passed out during a gig!) and was ok but not able to travel.
    Mikael Israelsson from Black Bonzo was my standin. Wife's expecting a baby and I couldn't risk travelling and missing out on the birth, since the cruise was only weeks before the due date. But the little guy or gal hasn't appeared yet
    Anyway, I'm pretty sure Mike did an awesome job since he's a way more accomplished drummer than I am.
    Here's a clip from Mega Moon that somebody posted:

An early congrats and good luck to you and your wife, Tobias!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    An early congrats and good luck to you and your wife, Tobias!
    Thank you very much Scott

That's awesome, my friend!

Congrats & big hugs from me & Kay to both of you.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thanks for posting their set! I was hoping to see Sugar Band be played, but it looks like they're saving that one. It's definitely my favorite song from 2013. So awesome to see a member of MS on here too!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    ????
    You know - because Downes looks like their grannies...

Aside from the biggest shows, was it easy to get a drink and return to your seat (Seat?). The lounge shows, etc?

Man, I still remember that drummer from Black Bonzo at Rosfest so long ago. He really made the band live up to their Bonzo moniker! I wonder what band he's in now that Bonzo has gone to the Gin?