Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull news update from Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    --he wants to do shows where he doesn't have to play "Aqualung."
    I saw the TAAB2 show a few months back in Gronau. Guess what was on the setlist...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm not sure I follow..? I know "Protect And Survive" is on there, but I still didn't expect it on this new Barre release.

I love that DVD (and the Yes one). I think it was Terry Ellis you're talking about though... he showed up late and very drunk to the listening session and couldn't get his headphones on properly! Then screamed at the band about how horrible it was. The truth of it is, that album has some great songs on it (not to mention Ian's voice was in top form - for the last time in many people's eyes). But it suffers from the lack of real drums. I've always been surprised at how much Dave Pegg likes the album as well - it doesn't seem like something he'd be into. But you never know, I guess.
    That's right, it was Ellis. The real payoff is the revelation that after Ellis' rant against the album, his parting drink was "modified" by Pegg. Guess the statute of limitations is up on that one.

To my mind the fake drums are the only thing wrong with Under Wraps. Some of my favorite later Tull songs are on it (European Legacy, Later That Same Evening, Nobody's Car). Typical of Ian A to write this nifty James Bond-type theme album and then to insist there's no concept!

I find it quite amusing that people rush to Martin Barre's defense, when Barre himself is in no way slighted by any of these remarks. In my opinion, this band was at their apex during the late 70's. The 20 years of Jethro Tull documentary clearly shows the various band members acknowledging that Jethro Tull will continue "as long as Ian Anderson continues writing the material". I think the only problem here is that people have trouble accepting that fact. The most important arrangements did not come from Barre's guitar solos. If you hear the current Ian Anderson band, you can hear a much more lifeless rhythm section, even though the music SCREAMS for more of that counterpoint and interplay of old. The current guitarist is completely capable, and sounds great. I'm never left wanting more electric guitar. Just more propulsion (and probably less accordion, but that's just a matter of personal taste).

check around the 24 minute mark and hear what David Palmer says...

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Nasser View Post
    I find it quite amusing that people rush to Martin Barre's defense, when Barre himself is in no way slighted by any of these remarks. In my opinion, this band was at their apex during the late 70's. The 20 years of Jethro Tull documentary clearly shows the various band members acknowledging that Jethro Tull will continue "as long as Ian Anderson continues writing the material". I think the only problem here is that people have trouble accepting that fact. The most important arrangements did not come from Barre's guitar solos. If you hear the current Ian Anderson band, you can hear a much more lifeless rhythm section, even though the music SCREAMS for more of that counterpoint and interplay of old. The current guitarist is completely capable, and sounds great. I'm never left wanting more electric guitar. Just more propulsion (and probably less accordion, but that's just a matter of personal taste).
    Yep.

Banned
    I just read an article on the UCR website that the Benefit deluxe edition will be released on October 29th. It will be two CDs and a 5.1 mix on DVD. Among the bonus tracks will be the U.S and U.K versions of Teacher in stereo(which, for some strange reason, is listed on both discs).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm not sure I follow..? I know "Protect And Survive" is on there, but I still didn't expect it on this new Barre release.
    It's not merely part of the box. It's on the Beacon's Bottom disc as a Barre solo piece recorded at Barre's studio, so it's evident he's particularly fond of that piece.

Looking at the video segment to which Luis referred I noticed an interesting anomaly. The "in the studio" shots show the band was recording John Glascock's last Tull album. On the plane Glascock is seen, reading the latest literature . There's a shot of Barlow seated next to Eddie Jobson?? Any explanations or corrections?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I noticed an interesting anomaly. The "in the studio" shots show the band was recording John Glascock's last Tull album. On the plane Glascock is seen, reading the latest literature . There's a shot of Barlow seated next to Eddie Jobson?? Any explanations or corrections?
    Tull was touring with U.K. at the time.

Tull was touring with U.K. at the time.
    Wasn't Pegg the bass player on the Stormwatch tour with UK? Or did UK do an earlier tour as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Wasn't Pegg the bass player on the Stormwatch tour with UK? Or did UK do an earlier tour as well?
    Yes, no.

Glascock was already in rough shape during the Heavy Horses tour (see the MSG video with Tony Williams) and Pegg was brought on board when Glascock was let go during the Stormwatch sessions.

Great vid -- thanks, Luis.

I find it interesting that Ian just comes out and says that he continues to write, record and play music (in 1978/79) because it funded his non-musical interests and needs. And clearly he had a substantial lifestyle to support. One wonders how much that contributed to the general malaise during that period across all prog (or even non prog) rock bands that started out in the late 60s/early 70s. Yes, he says that within him was the need to perform in front of people, but I have to believe the passion to be a successful and important figure within the rock music scene had waned along the way.

Who else of his contemporaries still had that fire in the belly? Robert Fripp was just rediscovering it and Peter Gabriel definitely seemed to be onto something new that had fired his imagination around that time. Genesis and Yes got it I suppose once they discovered it was possible to have a second career peddling pop music. But I'll bet Ian Anderson wasn't the only guy of his generation of rock musicians who by 1979 was thinking "I think I'll go check the salmon farm instead of writing some new music today", or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Yes, there were two tours with U.K., both in 1979. The first was with Glascock (and "Dark Ages" as the only new song), and the second with Pegg (following the release of Stormwatch and heavily featuring the new material).

When I saw Stormwatch in the US with UK opening Tony Williams was playing bass.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    When I saw Stormwatch in the US with UK opening Tony Williams was playing bass.
    You're mistaken; Tony Williams only played with Tull in 1978. Dave Pegg was the bassist on the Stormwatch tour; see the tour program.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's not merely part of the box. It's on the Beacon's Bottom disc as a Barre solo piece recorded at Barre's studio, so it's evident he's particularly fond of that piece.
    Ahh, gotcha! I hadn't realized that - the 20th and 25th anniversary boxes remain the only missing items from my Tull collection.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

You're mistaken; Tony Williams only played with Tull in 1978. Dave Pegg was the bassist on the Stormwatch tour; see the tour program.
    There's a Youtube video of a live performance of Dark Ages with Glascock playing, and the description claims it's from the "Stormwatch tour". Mislabeled?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    There's a Youtube video of a live performance of Dark Ages with Glascock playing, and the description claims it's from the "Stormwatch tour". Mislabeled?
    As I mentioned above, the then-unreleased "Dark Ages" was played on the early '79 tour with Glascock. I would certainly not call that part of the Stormwatch tour; more like the second leg of the Bursting Out tour.

So Glascock played during the 2nd leg of the "Bursting Out" tour in early '79, & Pegg was playing during the later '79 tour supporting "Stormwatch"?

Tony Williams played bass with Tull in '78? Why wasn't Glascock with them during this tour? Was he ill?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

You're right- I got my tours mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    So Glascock played during the 2nd leg of the "Bursting Out" tour in early '79, & Pegg was playing during the later '79 tour supporting "Stormwatch"?

Tony Williams played bass with Tull in '78? Why wasn't Glascock with them during this tour? Was he ill?
    He got sick during the Heavy Horses tour. An infection caused by an abscessed tooth damaged his heart.

Am i the only one that's sad that JT seems to be over and kinda does not care the same way when it's an Ian Anderson album, as opposed to a JT album?

I know it's his music etc, but the name on the cover matters to me. (More than it should, admittedly) but that's just the way i feel.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Am i the only one that's sad that JT seems to be over
    I was in 1987 when it happened (apart from that hiccup of life when Roots To Branches came out)

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I was in 1987 when it happened
    When did you get back? Did you bet on the Giants to win the Super Bowl?