Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson w/ Wetton again?

King Crimson w/ Wetton again?

Perhaps I am reading too much into these (?). Perhaps not (?)

From David Singleton's recent dgmlive.com diary entry -
    **Which brings us back to bootlegs and board recordings. 11.53 21st Century Schizoid Man has just kicked in. How many people would part with their money to hear John singing and playing that again I wonder? ** ( http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=23724 )
    From John Wetton's own guestbook entry in The Return To Red thread-
    **Something fairly amazing could be about to happen, and I can't tell you what it is, yet.** ( http://bakerloo2.forumchitchat.com/p...9466?&trail=15 )

OMG!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Edumacated guess: remember what Genesis did with *Carpet Crawlers* two and half decades after-the-fact?

I'm not going to read that much into it. But I'm also eager to hear more.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

love to hear them release a studio version of Guts On My Side. i really love that tune.

IF somehow they did "Guts on My Side" and "Dr Diamond" that would be pretty cool,
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Tis but a dream.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Could be that Fripp is about to have a bowel movement. Stay tuned......

Nice pipe dream, but who knows? With the on-off switch called Robert Fripp behind the helm, anything is possible. Remember the world didn't end as predicted (or did it?) after Bobby broke up the Wetton-Bruford line-up. And how many versions of Crimso did he kill-off never to exist again? Imagine hearing the songs from Red that were never played live. My mouth waters at the thought. But it's highly unlikely that Bill Bruford would ever come back. But maybe Fripp is finally feeling nostalgic about KC history? I mean look what Steve Hackett has done with his Genesis Revisited world tour. VERY successful. Can the Fripper break out the old mellotron again? Even the tron has made a huge come back in recent years and is again widely used within prog circles. Well who knows? But since we hope and dreams of such things, here would be my dream KC line-up comeback:

Robert Fripp
    Ian McDonald
    Mel Collins
    John Wetton
    Gavin Harrison
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

wasn't there some backstage banter, a rumor, that UK would be touring with a really well known prog band "next year"?

I have read this a couple of days ago, and I don't give a 1% if RF would bother himself riviving KC with Wetton on board.

As much as would love it if these hints turn out to relate to some substantial new musical collaboration between Fripp and Wetton, I suspect it may end up being limited to JW signing up with DGM to release his solo catalog. After JW made that comment quoted above on his guestbook, someone opined that he hoped it would be KC related, and JW responded that it would involve "the whole of DGM." Now, today, there is a new announcement on his homepage that he is working on re-releasing his solo catalog with bonus tracks. Perhaps the re-releases will come out on DGM--if that is the case (and, honestly, I have no idea beyond the various vague clues provided), perhaps Singleton's comments relate to some possible bonus tracks (I'm guessing performances of KC material from those District 97 shows). Again, I'm hoping for something more significant (from a fan perspective) than this, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Having said that, if my speculation does turn out to be on target (or somewhere close to it), this kind of business collaboration could still bode well for possible future artistic collaborations--one never knows.
    Last edited by NorthNY Mark; 07-04-2013 at 06:59 PM.

MY GOD!!! Fripp's joined Asia!

Nice pipe dream, but who knows? With the on-off switch called Robert Fripp behind the helm, anything is possible. Remember the world didn't end as predicted (or did it?) after Bobby broke up the Wetton-Bruford line-up
    You're getting your timelines mixed up. King Crimson "ceased to exist" in September 1974 after the HRVHL had read this: JG Bennet: INAUGURAL ADDRESS: SECOND BASIC COURSE a week after the Central Park gig (7/1/74). It "blew the top of [his] head off" and he went to Sherborne House to piece it back together. He actually had a similar spiritual experience after reading the Bennett that Jamie Muir did after starting reading Autobiography of a Yogi: they both felt that their personalities were disappearing; Muir went to a Buddhist monastery in Scotland after he abruptly left KC, Fripp to Sherbourne House after finishing Red.

The HRVHL actually proposed to Wetton and Bruford (they'd decided to outst Cross) that they continue on with Ian McDonald and a new guitarist, but EG weren't interested and Wetton and Bruford went their separate ways until UK formed.

All the Drive to 1981 > Incline to 1984 stuff is the preparation for the "end of the world" --more like "major changes are coming to the world"-- stuff. Yeah, I've read every RF diary entry he's ever posted online, can you tell? BTW, sorry if know all of above already.
    And how many versions of Crimso did he kill-off never to exist again?
    Tsk tsk, King Crimson is an entity apart from Robert Fripp. It whispered in his ear when it was ready to resume.
    Imagine hearing the songs from Red that were never played live. My mouth waters at the thought
    Fallen Angel? Meh. One More Red Nightmare would have been a live stomper, sure.
    But maybe Fripp is finally feeling nostalgic about KC history?
    No, I don't think he is, at all. He might have fond memories of some of the music he was part of in KC, but he's utterly scathing about the music business part of making music and wants no part of it. Why on earth would he come back just so assholes can scream "SCHIZOID MAN!!!!!!!" at him? He has a great, country-gentleman type life with Toyah in Pershore, he's actually admitted to being *gasp* happy *gasp* on occasion!
    here would be my dream KC line-up comeback:

Robert Fripp
    Ian McDonald
    Mel Collins
    John Wetton
    Gavin Harrison
    Mine: [steps in to time machine]

Robert Fripp
    John Wetton
    Ian McDonald
    Bill Bruford

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 07-04-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender;122512Mine: [steps in to time machine

Robert Fripp
    John Wetton
    Ian McDonald
    Bill Bruford

Well, Billy B will NOT be a part of any such endeavor. So mine, more realistically would be-
    Fripp, Wetton, David Cross, Ian McDonald and...wait for it...Terry Bozzio.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Fripp, and...wait for it...Terry Bozzio.
    I pity the roadies trying to lug that gear. I just hurt my back contemplating it. This explains why bands had names monogramed on the top of the big traveling rigs in the 70s.

I have a feeling any KC lineup with Wetton in it these days would be lacking in the fuzz bass department.

How about:

Fripp
    Bruford
    Jakko
    Jannick Top

They could do a new, 18-minute long instrumental jam called "De FraKCtura."
    Last edited by Septober Energy; 07-04-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    You're getting your timelines mixed up.
    No he isn't. Fripp started the blather about a coming apocalypse back in 1974 after dissolving the Wetton-Bruford Crimson. See the Rolling Stone piece from that era: http://www.elephant-talk.com/wiki/In..._Rolling_Stone

> Robert Fripp
    Ian McDonald
    Mel Collins
    John Wetton
    Gavin Harrison <

I think God is saving that lineup for Heaven....

I woild be VERY surprised if there ever was new KC material made.

However i'd love for it to be done. And i couldn't imagine Fripp doing it without Belew.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

No he isn't. Fripp started the blather about a coming apocalypse back in 1974 after dissolving the Wetton-Bruford Crimson. See the Rolling Stone piece from that era
    As Prince once crooned, "My face is red, I stand corrected".

I'd forgotten about that interview, I thought about the Drive to 81 > Incline to 84 thing, where he was preparing for what he perceived would be massive changes. They didn't occur in the time frame he thought, but I get a sense that with global climate change, the political situation in the Middle East, the discontent with the governments in the US and Europe and so on, we might be edging near that. There's also this interview from 1979 that explains what he was going through in 1974/75:

"Can you tell me why you suddenly realised you had to leave?" I ask, anxiously. The supermarket supervisor with the blue rinse, who's sitting behind Fripp cranes her neck over her shoulder, clearly intrigued. "It was a very, very strong personal experience," Fripp says solemnly.

"Which you want to remain personal?"

"Not especially," Fripp replies. "It's just difficult to explain without sounding like a pompous air-head and making claims that would sound more appropriate coming from a vacuous egocentric. I was a very strong personal experience - I had a glimpse of something. The last interviews I did, when Crimson broke up, I didn't know how to explain it" Fripp continues. "The top of my head blew off. That's the easiest way of describing it. And for a period of three to six months it was impossible for me to function. In a different world, with a different set of responsibilities, I would have been incapable."

"My ego went. I lost my ego for three months. We were recording 'Red' and Bill Bruford would say, 'Bob - what do you think?' And I'd say, 'Well - 'and inside I'd be thinking how can I know anything? Who am I to express an opinion? And I'd say - 'Whatever you think, Bill. Yes, whatever you like.'"

"You realise, that in our normal view of ourselves we think we're justified in having an opinion, and the simplest expression of that it can provide day-to-day friction necessary to generate any kind of activity. For instance, if I had said to you 'Allan, what do you think about the weather?' and you said to me, 'I'm a nonentity. I have no right to express a personal value judgement on the weather,' well, I'd say 'oh fine' - and walk off. You wouldn't be worth talking to. And that was roughly my situation. It took me three to six months before a particular kind of Fripp personality grew back to the degree that I could participate in the normal day-to-day business of hustling."
    There's also this, he's talking about Yes at the Reading Festival:

We might, however, say that he sought at Sherbourne to strip say the affections of the fame he had enjoyed as a rock star; it returned him to a more reasoned perspective of the world and his involvement in it.

"That was part of the general reason," he says. "I remember just before I went to Sherbourne, I went to the Reading Festival in August, 1975. A band came on stage who were actually friends of mine. Anyway, we'd been waiting an hour-and-a-half while their laser show was being set up. I went out to the front. It began to rain. I was standing in six inches of mud. It was drizzling. A man over here on my right began to vomit. And a man over here on my left pulled open his flies and began to urinate on my leg."

"Behind me there were some 50,000 people who maybe for two or three evenings a week, for amusement or recreation, would participate in this imaginary world of rock'n'roll. Then I looked at the group on stage - their lasers shooing off ineffectually into the night, locked into this same dream. Except they're in it for 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the rest of their lives."
    Thanks for the link to the 1974 interview.

Well, Billy B will NOT be a part of any such endeavor.
    Neither will Robert Fripp, which I why I put [steps in to time machine].
    Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 07-05-2013 at 01:08 AM.
    ...or you could love

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    **Something fairly amazing could be about to happen, and I can't tell you what it is, yet.**
    OMG!
    My wife says that it sounds like there's a monolith on Europa. :-)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I thought about the Drive to 81 > Incline to 84 thing, where he was preparing for what he perceived would be massive changes. They didn't occur in the time frame he thought, but I get a sense that with global climate change
    It was "hide the decline", not the incline.

The HRVHL actually proposed to Wetton and Bruford (they'd decided to outst Cross) that they continue on with Ian McDonald and a new guitarist, but EG weren't interested and Wetton and Bruford went their separate ways until UK formed.
    Well, no, Wetton and Bruford continued to work together on a number of projects: it's just that UK was the first to come to fruition.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Well, if you're going to dream about Santa Claus, you might as well do it in full colour, right??

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Robert Fripp
    Ian McDonald
    Mel Collins
    John Wetton
    Gavin Harrison
    Mine: [steps in to time machine]

Robert Fripp
    John Wetton
    Ian McDonald
    Bill Bruford

I'd much rather see the Giles brother, though if you have to have a signing bassist, go for Wetton with Broof
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.