Thread: Gary Pickford-Hopkins RIP

Gary Pickford-Hopkins RIP

Gary Pickford-Hopkins (vocalist on some Rick Wakeman albums, incl. ‘Journey To The Centre Of The Earth’) has died. R.I.P

Saw him in Wild Turkey on a bill with Yes and Black Sabbath. Loved Battle Hymn with the song "Butterfly"

Love the second Wild Turkey album, which had a couple nice songs that he wrote.

"Gazzy" as the Welsh called him, had a long history, going back to the Eyes of Blue and Big Sleep. I think his work with Wakeman was probably his worst, but he's easily the best singer Wakeman ever worked with, followed by Bowie, Cat Stevens, and Dave Cousins. I'd put him in my top 10 singers of all time.

Sad news. I like the first WT album, never had the pleasure of hearing the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Sad news. I like the first WT album, never had the pleasure of hearing the 2nd.
    I think it's much better, more melodic and less gloom 'n' doom lyrically. Like a good Wishbone Ash album.

Oh gosh, sad news today. I love both Wild Turkey albums, I even have the WT Rareties album. He was equally good in Big Sleep. With Wakeman, he sang some leads, on Myths and Legends of King Arthur mostly.
    Rest in Peace, Gary.