Thread: A Love Letter To Robert Fripp: The Crimson Fans Best Friend

A Love Letter To Robert Fripp: The Crimson Fans Best Friend

His artistry has been spoken about and lauded so many times over the years that it's redundant to even write about such things. I'm going to mention something that I think is under-appreciated and that's Fripp's commitment not just as a businessman and curator of his life's work but as an artist dedicated to offering fans that rarest of commodities: What they want. As I'm writing this, I'm listening to the Ladies of the Road Collectors Club collection. I am now at the Disc Two “Schizoid Men” section. I have not listened to this in years but doing so has prompted me to write.

For his entire career, Robert Fripp has been accused and laughed about as being an oddball. He sits, he's particular about the music, he doesn't like flash photography, he doesn't like some fool yelling “In the Court of the Crimson King” over and over again, he won't reform Crimson one more time, etc. I've heard or read them all and have even been amused by some of the stories and have felt disappointed that no new music from the band will probably ever be forthcoming. What I have come to realize with no reservation is that the elder Fripp has been nothing but dedicated to the fans in bringing them what they want. The Collectors Club releases were some of the greatest gifts that fans of King Crimson could ever receive.

As a major lover of Fripp's “Great Soloist” period, I am especially drawn to the 72-74 years. The amount of material he's released from this era is astounding. The aforementioned “Schizoid Men” disc is to a fan of this era an incredible boon. If there is some “sameness” to some of these releases then all I have to say is “good”. They are all worth the price of admission. It's like enjoying a porterhouse steak. I don't really want it to taste that different the next time I eat it – that's why I'm eating it again. Fripp has spent a couple of decades now doing the best he can to provide the fans a dining experience they can enjoy over and over again. If that's not a friend to fans then nothing is.

I think that*this information is*the best.

Get a room!!

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    . As I'm writing this, I'm The Collectors Club releases were some of the greatest gifts that fans of King Crimson could ever receive.
    I've been saying this for years. There seems to be less vitriol directed his way on this site in recent years, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

One thing that fascinates me is that his artistry steered the band with a firm hand into creative new territory multiple times - but my favorite album by them, Red, is one where he reportedly stopped asserting his leadership role - and STILL we got a masterpiece!

You know what? I like the OP's post.

I don't agree with it, necessarily - or at least I don't share the devotion behind it - but I really admire (and hope I sometimes achieve) gratitude.

I can be bitchy and snippy about artists, even ones I admire, and will probably continue to be. But an acknowledgement of what they have contributed to my life is also in order, and I can forget that.

Thanks for reminding me, Splicer.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?