Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nektar and Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash in Pittsburgh

Space Cadet
    Great show in Sellersville! I liked Sons Of Hippies enough to buy their most recent album. Good psych with some actual songs. Count me among those surprised to see Nektar 2nd, and while I really missed the projections they had the last time around I still enjoyed their set. I'm not sure what caused the show to start late but it clearly cut some songs from both bands...speaking of, I really, really dug MTWA. I saw the "real" WA a few years ago and liked it, but Martin's voice is really needed IMO. Neither guitarist could quite nail Andy's tone but they harmonized perfectly and other than one glaring omission (Time Was) they played pretty much what I wanted to hear. There is something to be said for creating new music, but honestly in terms of WA I'd rather hear the classics. So for that reason I'll give the nod to MT's iteration, though a reunion would be pretty special I think.

I went to the Milwaukee show last night. I totally enjoyed the entire evening. My 22 year old son went with me and he enjoyed it as much as I did. Sons Of Hippies were very entertaining, albeit there Indie style. The young lady at the lead of the band blew me away with her talent and confidence, and the bass and drummer were solid as well. I think it was a compliment for them to open the show and I wish them success in their future. Nektar, as much as I think they should have been headlining, did an excellent job and their set was solid with Recycled being the highlight for me. Roye's vocals were good throughout the set and great doing Recycled. An octave lower than original at times, but hey! They did an encore as well. Got to talk to the band after the show, got them to sign my Time Machine copy. Roye even gave me a guitar pick. I must say they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Klause hammered away on the keyboards with a vengeance at times and Lux kicked ass the whole set on bass. Roye and Ron were excellent, as expected. I appreciate that they are still doing their music here in the states, and at one point, Roye said, see you next year. Wishbone Ash played their signature sound and I think that their harmonic guitar play was as it was 40 years ago. They played a great set and the instrumental song was a real treat. At one point, the guitar players were intertwined with one guy pickin' and the other guy fretting and visa versa. Real cool stuff. Martin did a great job on bass and his vocals were very good. They did 3 or 4 encores. A totally enjoyable evening, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroProg View Post
    I enjoyed both Nektar and Wishbone Ash (okay, Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash). Great show. I was really there to see Nektar, but was pleasantly surprised by MT's Wishbone Ash. I know nothing about the WA catalog, but I found every song enjoyable. Great harmonies - both vocal and guitar - and a great sound overall. I couldn't help but wonder with the driving bass and twin guitar harmonies how much of an influence they had on bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.
    Since you asked the question, Wishbone Ash are known to have been very influential for both Priest and especially Maiden. Back in the 80's, I remember several articles where the members of Maiden were asked about the harmony guitar lines, and Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy being quoted as the influences there. I believe Steve Harris mentioned at least once that Argus in particular was a great album for the harmony guitars.

As for Priest, when they did that Metal Evolution thing on VH-1 last year or the year before (whenever it was), there was a point where they were interviewing I think Glenn Tipton and he was asked why Priest had two lead guitarists, and he mentioned that they had seen Wishbone Ash, which I guess is what inspired them to do the same.

I'm surprised to hear how many shows they're doing with Sons Of Hippies. Martin Turner was actually in Cleveland, and he and I had a little bit of a chat. Apart from hearing a funny story about touring in the US during winter months back in the 70's, Martin mentioned that apparently the owner of the club they played at in Cleveland didn't want to book Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash for "loyalty reasons", because he's had the Andy Powell led Wishbone Ash at the venue numerous times over the years. So I reckoned maybe Cleveland was the one show Sons Of Hippies opened. I wonder if they ran into the same issues throughout the tour, or if Wishbone Ash were just doing a few shows to begin with or what.

... and lest we forget, Maiden ALSO did a studio cover version of Nektars' 1972 "King of Twilight".

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    ... and lest we forget, Maiden ALSO did a studio cover version of Nektars' 1972 "King of Twilight".
    Oh yes, that's right! That was a B-side of I think the Aces High. That was actually my introduction to Nektar. Before that, I had seen the band mentioned in an article on Carmine Rojas (who at the time was playing with David Bowie) in Guitar Player. It was mentioned briefly that Carmine had played with "British/German space rock band Nektar". I remember at the time that was I think the first time I had heard the phrase "space rock", and I thought "Gee, I wonder what that must sound like!".

Then about 7 or 8 years later, I had a penpal who I used to trade tapes with, and I think the first one he sent me, first song, side one, was Good Day (which he described as coming from a various artists collection called Mama Rock And The Sons Of Roll). I think song two was A Tab In The Ocean itself. Needless to say, that's what led me to be at the Winchester last Tuesday for the Nektar show.

GuitarGeek, I think there is a lot of irony in finding out about new bands and seeing a live show that blows your socks off. I was in the service in Germany when I found out about Nektar in 74' and I've been hooked ever since. Was a great show in Milwaukee. I'm still tingling.

Great to see so much interest here for Nektar and Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash. I'm not sure what either band's financial situation is, but they are obviously not making millions on this short tour of small venues. These shows are for the fans - old and new.

Outside the Sellersville theater, there was an interesting discussion of Nektar and Wishbone Ash fans who were there for one or the other band, but looking forward to seeing what the other band had to offer. I don't think either group of fans went away disappointed.

Let's hope these bands continue to give us these shows and make appearances at the festivals.

Astroprog, at the Milwaukee show, I remember maybe twice, for sure once, Roye saying, see you next year during their set. I was pleased to hear him say that.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The highlight, IMO, was when Lux's bass amp blew and the other three (Roye, Ron and Klaus) played an impromptu "Little Boy" from DTE while they replaced the amp.
    Any chance you remember " between " what songs this was perofrmed ?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srtd4 View Post
    Any chance you remember " between " what songs this was perofrmed ?

Scott
    Hmm, that's a tough one. Not sure why it matters, but it might have been before they played "Desolation Valley." I honestly cannot recall.

Hmm, that's a tough one. Not sure why it matters, but it might have been before they played "Desolation Valley." I honestly cannot recall.
    Well I was there also, and I can't remember exactly either. Was just curious as I was
    comparing set lists from the other two performances I attended.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srtd4 View Post
    Well I was there also, and I can't remember exactly either. Was just curious as I was
    comparing set lists from the other two performances I attended.

Scott
    Ah, I see. What's the order of the pgh show that you have? It might help jar my memory.

Ah, I see. What's the order of the pgh show that you have? It might help jar my memory.
    A Better Way
    Dr. Kool
    Time Machine
    Dream Nebula/Desolation Valley
    Preacher/Squeeze/Mr. H
    Recycle

I "Think" it was after Time Machine, but am not positive.

Scott

Hmmm, I think you might be right.

Just for the record, I have most of the tour setlists (each from two separate sources).
    Luxs' bass amp blew out during "Time Machine" in Pittsburg, so he
    borrowed a bass head from SoH. The others played Little Boy during the amp swap. (BTW, This info was finally confirmed last Friday)
    Please see http://www.thenektarproject.com/geew...013-tour-dates for a tour summary or venue set comparisons.

BTW, If anyone has another BB Kings, Arkansas or Fort Worth setlist,
    I can properly verify those shows on the "Nektar 2013" diary page.
    Thanks.
    Mick.

Last edited by Mick; 07-15-2013 at 05:40 PM.