Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wish You Were Here and the cough

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    The Zep moments ("gotta get this airplane off...Nah leave it...") are just fun outtakes that for whatever reason they decided to keep in
    LOVE that track, including the airplane.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    They handled the radio and the cough in a particularly fine way on the 5.1 mix. They really showed off the 3-D imaging while completely honoring the the recording, imo.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    You leave my seat out of this.

I recently asked my doctor if I was healthy enough to have sex; he pulled off his lab coat and said, "Let's find out!".

Try the veal!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How about the gigantic, buttock-thunderclapping fart in the middle of Awaken?

Or did I dream it?

My doctor is a young hottie. Literally. It still doesn't feel any better when she "puts on the glove." But, I feel much better talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    What about the cockatiel in Have A Cigar?
    I guess no one has ever noticed this. Check it out right after "have you seen the chart?" "Tweet!"
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Led Zeppelin II starts with cough, but this never bothered me.

It's possible the cough occurred accidentally, and they left in because it fit with the ambiance they were intending to create. I always had the understanding that the guitar solo in the intro is a guy playing along to the radio, so the cough kinda fits with that.

My gut tells me that it was recorded accidentally but was left in because it fit. I think, like many others that, after years of listening to it, I can't imagine it without the cough. It's just so.... productive.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Never heard that cough till you brought it to my attention... interesting.. or at least never recognized it or identified it as such... obviously it never has bothered me..

And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps ends with cough, and this fits well to the song I think.
    The "cough intro" in Sweet Leaf is also appropriate.

Another song that starts with a cough (and a sniffle) is Rainy Day Dreamy Away on Electric Ladyland.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Another song that starts with a cough (and a sniffle) is Rainy Day Dreamy Away on Electric Ladyland.
    I think that sniffle is a toke.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps ends with cough, and this fits well to the song I think.
    The "cough intro" in Sweet Leaf is also appropriate.
    And it starts with a cat's purr. Perhaps even more appropriate than the cough.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    And it starts with a cat's purr. Perhaps even more appropriate than the cough.
    I never realized that was a cat purring. I always assumed it was Ian snarling, as he often did during flute solos, etc.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think that sniffle is a toke.
    Could be. In fact, now that you mention it, when you hear Jimi speak right after that, he does sound like he's "holding it in", so you're probably correct. At any rate, it adds to the informal jam session vibe of that track.

^There's obviously a "water pipe" being used on one of the Floyd tracks on More..

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Could be. In fact, now that you mention it, when you hear Jimi speak right after that, he does sound like he's "holding it in", so you're probably correct. At any rate, it adds to the informal jam session vibe of that track.
    Yeah, listen to it. He's definitely getting high. It's a quick fffft! toke off of a doobie.

Hey man, take a look out the window 'n' see what's happ'nin'
    Hey man, it's rainin'
    It's rainin' outside man
    Aw, don't worry 'bout that
    Everything's gonna be everything
    We'll get into somethin' real nice you know
    Sit back and groove on a rainy day
    Yeah
    Yeah I see what you mean brother, lay back and groove.