Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I used to hate growled vocals, now I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    growling, shrieks, and guttural style singing all can be taken as another rhythm part to music. The high-in-the-mix punk screaming are really the only style I can't deal with. Bands like Deftones, The Dillinger Escape Plan Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, or even Circle Takes the Square I would probably love, but the punk screaming ends up killing/overshadowing most of what else is going on with their music.

Then there are singers like Anthony Green (Circa Survive), Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Wayne Coyne (The Flaming Lips), Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie/The Postal Service), Kevin Barnes (of Montreal) and Craig Finn (The Hold Steady/Lifter Puller) whose voices are so repulsive they get far too nauseating, I wonder how anyone can even handle hearing them for more than 2 minutes, let alone a whole song or album.

Even to a much lesser extent, singers like Sufjan Stevens (Solo), Emanuel Ayvas (Emanuel & the Fear), and Craig Minowa (Cloud Cult) whose voices are quite good, but they end up swallowing too close to the microphone too often, I get almost grossed out, I always turn the volume down in those isolated parts.
    At this moment the only vocals I am struggling with are Metalcore clean vox, too Emo for me.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Still hate growled vocals with a passion. In some rare instances I can tolerate some, but only if it doesn't dominate the music. When layered with clean vocals, in can work, again, in small doeses. On it's own, I just think it sounds retarded. Never heard an example yet where I think it helps the music any. Aside from just sounding dumb to my ears, it also does not allow for any kind of vocal melodies. It ends up even more monotone than rapped vocals. I'm no lyric guy, so not understanding the words is not a problem. But I can't imagine people who are heavily into the lyrical aspect of music would even want to hear any death growling.

I used to have the CD this song is on: Forest Stream: Tears of Mortal Solitude (received it to review, when I was doing that regularly). these vocals don't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Dominique Persi of Stolen Babies shows just how diverse she is...
    Several years ago I saw Stolen Babies (and In This Moment) open for co-headliners Within Temptation and Lacuna Coil. I'd never heard Stolen Babies before and was blown away. they're very theatrical both visually and musically, and damn good. I thought they and Within Temptation stole the show. For me, ITM was a letdown after SB, especially with their choreographed headbanging.
    from the SB bio @iTunes: "Drawing their inspiration from sources as varied as Mr. Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Oingo Boingo, Cradle of Filth, and the Dresden Dolls, Los Angeles, CA's Stolen Babies offer up a sonic mishmash that they themselves describe as "prog-pop-cabaret-thrashquirky-goth-rock.""

Actually, here's a little bit of SB at the very show I attended:

Last edited by davis; 06-28-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    When I got in on the formation of a local sketch comedy group, the first skit I wrote was called "Name That Death Metal Tune." The premise was that contestants had to listen to a track by the likes of Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, etc. and be the first to buzz in with the correct lyrics. The audience seemed to get a kick out of the fact that the contestants (one of whom was a stereotypical-looking nerd who aced it) could rattle off the right words to what in the audience's ears sounded like arrroorrawrreerooooooooooowr! I've always been proud of that one.

As for the question at hand, I treat them like cheesecake. Fine and even enjoyable in small doses, but not as a steady diet. And speaking more of comedy on this topic:

"How do you spell "Hhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssshhhhhh"? I have writer's block..."

"My influences are Cookie Monster.....Jabba the Hutt....my cat in pain..."

GORGOROTH!

(How does a seven foot tall Scandinavian hit that high of a pitch????)
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

When I got in on the formation of a local sketch comedy group, the first skit I wrote was called "Name That Death Metal Tune." The premise was that contestants had to listen to a track by the likes of Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, etc. and be the first to buzz in with the correct lyrics. The audience seemed to get a kick out of the fact that the contestants (one of whom was a stereotypical-looking nerd who aced it) could rattle off the right words to what in the audience's ears sounded like arrroorrawrreerooooooooooowr! I've always been proud of that one.
    Here's an example:

What Daemon is saying:

Storm Detonation

[Musick: Zamoth/ Destructhor]

Manifestation of the Storm Detonation.
    Abandonment, renunciation, nuclear abrasion.
    Maximum reality, ultimate reality.
    What do you long for, Doomsday or Alienation?

The first and the last of global warnings,
    as in withered ill-willed spirit.
    Psychic dweller,
    fearing the lies that surround you like a mental grip.

Aborticide as altruistic moral.
    Backflashes from a past that once was,
    memories from another day.
    A depleted human race.
    An echo that reflects and consolidates the super-humaneous will.
    Will to Power,
    Call to Power.

Utopian abattoir, a derisive reality.
    Clouds, embracing the highland of earth,
    as shadows from another time,
    predicting the depredations of Terra Mater.

Tell the tale of a grand magnificent new world.
    Tell the tale of a thousand years.
    Tell the tale of the Storm Detonation,
    manifested in every fatalistic soul,
    asking if you want Doomsday or Alienation

What Apollyon is saying:

1. Trenches

[Lyrics by Apollyon]

First kill-winterdeath
    With silence she fell
    White funeral
    Freeze

Long did you wait
    For insanity's tomb
    With all your heart
    Unleashed doom

Razorsharp chants
    Blackens your skull
    Forcing you down towards hell
    And the shadows you dread

Be the survivor
    In need of no sun
    Embrace demons envision the dead

Corpselike cold
    Mesmerizing hands
    Touching your fear
    ...of the obscure

Ride the night
    With vicious lust
    Strive to die
    To serve

Grant your life
    To reluctant minds
    Infernal deeds are ripe
    Awaiting you

Ride the night
    At any cost
    Join with those in black
    The sordid few

Take from us the cross of sin
    Let the sinister begin
    Spread the branches and you'll see
    The land is plagued by me

Leave your dreams upon this night
    We have sworn to take your side
    The break of dawn it will show you
    That troops from hell are due

Some of what Herr Schmitt is saying:

Durch Schatten der Nacht...
    henlende Reier, bekleidetes,
    kaltes Stahl verpassen spukhaite Ugen.
    Maschinenmut, todgeborene Futijernung...
    Iodeslied; Bermalmung-Skelett-Schmutz.

That Pablo Francisco video was hilarious. I've bought t-shirts at Hot Topic.

Rune, that's the stuff! It's funny, I actually did get the lyric sheet and asked the guy playing the nerd who got all the words right to memorize it, but he just couldn't get it for the life of him, so he wound up improvising anything that sounded gruesome: "Guts on the floor, chicken faces glutinate!" I doubt anybody knew the difference.

Eeeeesaaaaah koseeeessaaaah!
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Rune, that's the stuff! It's funny, I actually did get the lyric sheet and asked the guy playing the nerd who got all the words right to memorize it, but he just couldn't get it for the life of him, so he wound up improvising anything that sounded gruesome: "Guts on the floor, chicken faces glutinate!" I doubt anybody knew the difference.

Eeeeesaaaaah koseeeessaaaah!

I can understand the difficulty in trying to remember. I just figure, if I don't know the lyrics, just go "RRRRRRRRRUUUUUHHHHHRRRRR!!!!!!" or "DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE". no metal head ever challenges you on it anyway-probably because they are too wasted to know it as well...

Shame you did not do one on deciphering band logos too...

Figured this was as good a thread as any to plop these down. They're Dethklok songs (cartoon death metal band on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim) with alternative animation starring Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Red Hood as the band, with a solo by Red Robin in the second video. Oddly enough, the lyrics translate to the whole Batman universe very well.

I turn it off if accidently exposed. Never liked them, most likely never will.

Love Dethklok! I wish I could get the last season to see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and there is the prog connection w/Dethklok. maybe not the music itself but Bryan Beller, Mike Keneally, Pete Griffin and Gene Hoglan have been band members either studio or live since 2007 and later. Hoglan is best known for his work with Strapping Young Lad and Devin Townsend. he was also good friends with Michelle Meldrum who started her first band Wargod with Gene before joining Phantom Blue...later marrying John Norum of Europe and forming Meldrum with Gene contributing on some of those albums as well. Michelle passed away on May 21st 2008. she was 39...RIP Michelle
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I like 'em in Opeth, especially the contrast with clean vocals. I have heard them in other bands, but so far only like them in Opeth.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I've really gotten to enjoy black metal vocals, more than ever. Less "beast" than DM and more evil "demon/witch". Maybe some screaming similar to grindcore/other extreme stuff.

I've listened to the band Death on YT. The vocals are tolerable because the music is technical and heavy, and very cool. RIP Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Still hate growled vocals with a passion. In some rare instances I can tolerate some, but only if it doesn't dominate the music. When layered with clean vocals, in can work, again, in small doeses. On it's own, I just think it sounds retarded. Never heard an example yet where I think it helps the music any. Aside from just sounding dumb to my ears, it also does not allow for any kind of vocal melodies. It ends up even more monotone than rapped vocals. I'm no lyric guy, so not understanding the words is not a problem. But I can't imagine people who are heavily into the lyrical aspect of music would even want to hear any death growling.
    This is exactly how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've listened to the band Death on YT. The vocals are tolerable because the music is technical and heavy, and very cool. RIP Chuck.
    Death is flippin amazing. Chuck was a real visionary and was ultra-creative and talented. Ill be listening to these gems of Chuck for as long as I can. Every album is special, really.

Before the pandemic, my band and I would do a Death Metal parody. We'd play fast heavy riffs, and I would growl "Cookies.......me want cookies.....num num num num num cookies."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Listened to Death Scream Bloody Gore last night....haven't heard that album much. The guitar parts of these albums are always so rippin'. Its fascinating just to listen to the guitar parts sometimes.

Wolfgang had the best growled vocals I ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I've really gotten to enjoy black metal vocals, more than ever. Less "beast" than DM and more evil "demon/witch". Maybe some screaming similar to grindcore/other extreme stuff.
    Seeing Atilla and Mayhem doing De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas in full a few years ago was a hell of a thing (excuse the pun). And he is always entertaining with Sunn O))) where he's arguably even more out front, despite the not-insignificant volume.

With some of the later black metal, especially the more atmospheric stuff like Wolves in the Throne Room and Sadness, the vocals almost take a whispered tone that really resonates with me.

I love Deafheaven, although despite the vocal style being very black metal, the music is anything but. Ordinary Corrupt Human Love is a desert island disc for me, and one of the few metal albums to almost move me to tears when I heard it the first time
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Talk about raising a thread from the dead!! I still love growled vocals, rap and hip-hop, chanting, screaming (Galas and others), yodeling, throat singing, melodic singing (clean), and most all other forms of vocalization. Most importantly, I love to explore and sample before discounting entire genres based on one aspect.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

oh so now you like them!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.