Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh, the horror

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Oh, the horror

Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-10-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: People were right on it in retrospect
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I don't "hate" Kurt -- he's a local icon -- but I always thought he was severely overrrated. He's a crappy singer, a crappy songwriter, a crappy guitarist and was a crappy person who lived a crappy life. Suicide did not make him great. Record sales did not make him great. There are 1,250 singers in bar bands in your home town who have more talent and originality.

You're such a productive participant on PE, Jen. We are honored you are here to enlighten us.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Not sure why you would have to refer to him as a dead asshole.

Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-10-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    You're such a productive participant on PE, Jen. We are honored you are here to enlighten us.
    you are free to axe me any time you want...you think i am a troll anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    because he was. what kind of guy kills himself with a baby that needs taking care of?
    You evidently know nothing about suicide or the depression some people go through. Grow up and get some intelligence. I didn't care that much for Cobain/Nirvana either.

Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-10-2013 at 01:55 PM.

I enjoy the cover a bit.Of course i am drunk as well.

I’ve said it before on this forum and I’ll say it again. Even though I was generally not much into the grunge thing, I still think “Nevermind” is one of the great rock n roll albums of the 90’s.

Steve Sly

Another reason to hate this dead...
    What a rotten thing to say. Why would you take the time and effort to post something this negative?

Banned
    The word "hate" is an awfully strong reaction to someone or something that has no personal bearing on your own existence. That being said, I think that if your dead body goes undiscovered in your own home for three days, it's suffice to assume that no one truly cares about you.

sorry, but I like that version of that song. Never did like the original. I usually do like covers that don't sound like the original (no point in covering a song if you're gonna make it sound like the original). Has anyone else here read Love & Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain? Kurt's suicide note read more like a 'band breaking up" note than someone that was about to check out permanently.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I quite like that version and Nevermind is a great album.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I don't "hate" Kurt -- he's a local icon -- but I always thought he was severely overrrated. He's a crappy singer, a crappy songwriter, a crappy guitarist and was a crappy person who lived a crappy life. Suicide did not make him great. Record sales did not make him great. There are 1,250 singers in bar bands in your home town who have more talent and originality.
    Well said. Mr. Carlberg expressed my thoughts for me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    I hope the person that started this thread realizes that Kurt did a lot of drugs. So, you can imagine the state his was in. Also, from what I know about his life, he did not have a lot of helpful people in his life. I recently lost a good friend to suicide. So I don't appreciate the tone that the opening post took. So, I hope that the mods will put it's thread out of his misery.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I’ve said it before on this forum and I’ll say it again. Even though I was generally not much into the grunge thing, I still think “Nevermind” is one of the great rock n roll albums of the 90’s.
    Indeed, Nevermind is one of three albums (along with RHCP's BSSM and Neil's Ragged Glory) that got me back in rock after those dreaded 80's , which had seen me take refuge in 60's jazze and psych...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I quite like that version and Nevermind is a great album.
    Ditto (though much of the excitement of the original version is lost)

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I hope the person that started this thread realizes that Kurt did a lot of drugs. So, you can imagine the state his was in. Also, from what I know about his life, he did not have a lot of helpful people in his life.
    Least of all the stupid slut he was fucking... or should I write that "fucked and screwed him up" >> At least Nancy had the grace of disappearing before Syd Vicious' death >> that Courtney cunt just used his suicide to become famous afterwards)

i'm not particularly pro Nirvana either.... but I really don't understand all that hate against Cobain... The man's a victim like Janis, Jim, Jimi, Bria, Nick etc....

Thread closing time 3.... 2..... 1.....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Cobain nor Nirvana, but he was an uber-talented saint compared to Courtney Love.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I dislike flannel shirts.

Kurt was not a case of a spoiled rock star who let fame get to his head, took too many drugs, and got messed up. From what I've read, he had mental issues long before he became famous. The pressures of fame and getting together with that vampire Courntey Love didn't help him at all.

While Cobain certainly was no genius, he came up with some great riffs and catchy melodys. As someone who came of age in the 80s (graduated HS in 84, college in 88), I will be forever grateful for his part in putting an end to the sterile and plastic sound and culture of that decade. Yes, I know, he wasn't the only one or the first, but Nevermind blew everything up. And Nevermind is a great album.

At least Nancy had the grace of disappearing before Syd Vicious' death ..
    I thought Syd killed her, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I thought Syd killed her, or am I missing something?
    Well (from what I read on wiki), he was released before getting rearrested then got released again, and died of an overdose in his release party

Though he was a drug fiend well before his SP days, apparently it's the manager Nancy who made him take a hard dive...

Not that it matters much
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Jefferson James
    because he was. what kind of guy kills himself with a baby that needs taking care of?
    Will Owsley comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    While Cobain certainly was no genius, he came up with some great riffs and catchy melodys. As someone who came of age in the 80s (graduated HS in 84, college in 88), I will be forever grateful for his part in putting an end to the sterile and plastic sound and culture of that decade. Yes, I know, he wasn't the only one or the first, but Nevermind blew everything up. And Nevermind is a great album.
    So why was Kurt called the John Lennon of his generation?

I suppose Daniel Johnston would be wildly famous and revered if he had given in to his mental illness, instead of persevering and being a beloved but living cult figure.