Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lou Reed has Liver Transplant

Just saw this posted elsewhere.. major bummer...

R.I.P. Lou Reed. Walk on the peaceful side.
    — The Who

RIP from me too. Prayers go out to his wife Laurie Anderson, his friends and family & to all the millions he brought joy to.

**in a quote often attributed to musician Brian Eno- “The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band.”
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Jon Neudorf
    RIP Lou. Sad, sad day.

Regards,
    Jon

Busload of Faith performed on Letterman with Buddy Guy and James Cotton

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned

RIP Mr. Reed. I remember when I saw you & Nico with the VU, along with the Dead & Frank/MOI at the Avalon in SF in 1966. I remember thinking, "I have no idea what tf these people are doing, but I want to be a part of it"
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Sad day.

Vale Lou.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Sad.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    It's a Federal law that you have to be a resident in the state where the transplant is performed. This was enacted in an attempt to mitigate against any unfairness when an organ becomes available by trying to level the playing field. So, because Lou received his liver at the Cleveland Clinic it was that he was a resident of Ohio where, compared to NY, the waiting time is much shorter.

Laurie's statements about NY hospitals is pure smokescreen. That's how the beautiful people stay beautiful.

Anyone want to guess the name of the US Senator who sponsored that law? It's someone you all know & love.
    and-here's the politics...
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 10-27-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: kumquats....kumquats everywhere...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    yeah, being foolish, irresponsible, or just plain stupid should have the luxury of double standards in terms of accountability. it's all good.
    I have a relative who needed a liver transplant because of her abuses of youth (drugs, booze). She also said that people who have done drugs or booze are on the bottom of the list. However, organ donations, if I am correct, go by "who is the most compatible candidate" as well, although children up until recently were "if no adult is compatible".
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    RIP Lou.

VU were one of my first "what the F are they doing?" bands and one of the inspirations for exploring outside my comfort zone. You Sir will be missed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I thought this would be a good way to say goodbye to Lou.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I thought this would be a good way to say goodbye to Lou.

Already played it twice today
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Shit. Sad sad news. RIP.

Poor Lou. One of the big boys for sure, particularly as a lyricist.

Apparently Genesis opened for Lou Reed in Toronto in 1973 and it didn't go over so well.

Steve Hackett here:

British musician and former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett told Britain's The Guardian newspaper that fights broke out between Genesis and Reed supporters when the progressive rock band opened for Reed in a 1973 gig at Toronto's Massey Hall.

"There were people who wanted to watch Genesis, and people who wanted to watch Lou Reed. And that deteriorated into a punch-up between the Lou Reed fans who were on downers, and the Genesis fans who were more into Earl Grey tea," Hackett told the paper in 2011.

And Geddy Lee here (2:30):

....and just shy of the NY Halloween parade he loved.... so THAT should be THE place for a celebration of his life.
    R.I.P. Lou, we, New York, America and the world will miss ya. Oh, and BTW.... RA.. take note mate.

I'm not much of a fan of Lou Reed

But I will say, whenever he or anything related to The Velvet Underground comes to mind, I immediately think of (beyond their decision) Ours covering the Lou Reed written track "Femme Fatale"

RIP Lou

Very sad day indeed. A lot of proggers may not appreciate Mr. Reed. I may not either, but for a girlfriend I had back in my mid 20's who turned me on to him. She loved Reed, and at first I did not get it until one night she played me the live "Rock N Roll Animal" album. It fucking blew me away. The live version of "Heroin" had to be one of the most intense things I had ever heard. Later I went on to appreciate the Velvet Underground and the road that they paved for much of what came after. Lou was the man in many ways and this news sucks.

Steve Sly

Banned
    For Lou...

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-th...234749432.html

I saw the Songs for Drella tour in NYC
    never a big fan but definitely respect

RestInPeace... looking forward to meeting him when he's resurrected
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Buying the first two VELVET UNDERGROUND albums as a teen, changed my life forever.

Nothing more...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Today's NY Times features a front page obit continuing in a close to full page further in. This type of space is reserved for the major players ,Reed was a popular son in NY. Thanks to whoever posted Perfect Day, one of my favorites in any genre. RIP.

Remembrance of Lou Reed in The Quietus.

http://thequietus.com/articles/13708-lou-reed-obituary
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide