Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umphrey's McGee - Prog Rock/Jamband brings the heat

Umphrey's McGee - Prog Rock/Jamband brings the heat

I come from a metal and progressive rock background so when I first heard Umphrey's McGee I was immediately in love! The first tune I ever heard was a fantastic instrumental tune called Fussy Dutchman (I'm not good at adding audio/video to these posts, yet). Also one other song that made a giant impression was All In Time. Other amazing tunes I suggest: Utopian Fir, JaJunk, In the Kitchen, Wappy Sprayberry, Mantis. They have 100s of live shows you can download at archive.org so if you are in a research-y mood, do yourself a favor and check these guys out. Let me know what you think! They have 2 guitars, bass, drums, percussion, and keys, 4 of the 6 guys sing... many live shows are 2 sets and feature very big chunks of improvisation that segue between tunes. They never get noodley like the Grateful Dead, are more rhythm-based in their improv and sometimes enter the techno-sphere of jams so electronica/trance fans would also enjoy. If you every wondered what Dream Theater may sound like with double bass and big improv sections, this is your answer.

I would say that UM is the only "jam band" I like (I don't think of them as a jam band).

That said, I don't think I've ever heard anyone compare UM to DT in any way.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I first heard Umphreys McGee in about 2008, and - because I'm not a teenager - at the time I first heard them I hadn't had a "favourite band" for a good few years. After about the first six months of listening to them, I had to reinstitute my "favourite band" category, and they've been consistently that ever since.

I like Dream Theater as well but I don't see a resemblance there. UM's heaviest material is closer to Metallica, but the heavy stuff is really a small proportion of what they do: some key influences would be Zappa, Steely Dan, Collins-era Genesis, Paul McCartney.

If anyone hasn't heard any and wants to try some, roughly 200 hours of high quality live material is available free of charge in their Podcast series, downloadable via iTunes. (Every one of their concerts is recorded and released for download, so they have enough material to draw on.)

I'd recommend trying Podcast 59, which has a very nice acoustic opening featuring a cover of Led Zep's "That's The Way". On the rockier side Podcast 57 is great, with a superb protracted version of "Plunger". And Podcast 125 is a sort of documentary featuring different versions in the evolution of one song, beginning with the three-and-a-half minute album version and ending with a 25-minute live version from 2012.

Once you get ready to give UM all your cash, which obviously you will want to do, get Live At The Murat and Mantis to start with. UM are very good at monetising what they do (I have a signed poster in front of me as I type) so there are plenty of ways to recompense them for what they make available free of charge.

[Edit: how the hell did I forget Podcast 51? It's got versions of "Red" and "Thela Hun Ginjeet" with Adrian Belew guesting but, more importantly, an absolutely epic sequence tying together "Plunger" and "Bridgeless". Start with that one!]
    Last edited by Sordel; 05-31-2013 at 06:47 AM.

The thing about UM is that their music is all over the map, tons of influences, and almost impossible to pigeon-hole as anything but their own brand of music. That's a good thing. Sometimes it appeals to the prog in me, but sometimes it sounds like "white people dancing" music. Great live band, great guys too.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    sometimes it sounds like "white people dancing" music
    Yes, that's fair, and it's especially obvious when they do reggae. They seem to have a real "frat boy" audience as well, which means that UM always has at least one eye on getting/keeping the party going. And, since we're talking drawbacks, like many bands on the jam scene their vocals are often dodgy.

The drawbacks don't count for much against the strengths though, and - as you mention - it helps that they seem like really nice people as well, in addition to being some of the best musicians of their generation.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I would say that UM is the only "jam band" I like (I don't think of them as a jam band).

I don't recall who said it but someone said they are "Dream Theater for frat boys" and that nails it pretty well. And I am a fan. Seen them a number of times. Highly suggested!

Pretty sure it's part of the frat boy kit too- Jeep Wrangler, big dog and some UM cds.

Great band that plays many different styles of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I don't recall who said it but someone said they are "Dream Theater for frat boys" and that nails it pretty well. And I am a fan.
    Except they sound nothing like Dream Theatre. Perhaps, Dream Theatre is prog for frat boys???

~

I really like their vocals, btw, Brendan has a great voice!

Jake is one talented guitarist. So is Kris Meyers on drums. If you ever get the chance to see him with Kick The Cat, don't miss it. We were just treated to it, opening for D97 last month.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

They are an Okay Jam band, nothing spectacular IMO. The vocals drive me nuts, ruin what is usually well played music.
    And don't forget they ruined NEARfest!!
    Last edited by HONDO; 05-31-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Got tickets to see them at Wolf Trap(!) this summer.
    Should be a good show.
    A bit out of their normal environment.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I love "Mantis" and like some of "Anchor Drops", but beyond that I'm not much of a fan of their other studio output. That said, musically, I wouldn't ever compare UM to DT.

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    And don't forget they ruined NEARfest!!
    I hope you are joking, but to keep this thread from getting derailed... Don't go there.
    Chad

I am joking, just a little fun on a Friday, I am off for a 3 day weekend. Of course they had nothing to do with any of that. Sorry if I pissed people off.

I've seen Umphrey's more than 20 times and I've been DT fan since Images and Words, and I definitely can say that more than once I've heard an intense power-chord chugging, double-bass-thumpin, prog-metal improv-jam from Jake and Brendan on guitar. The vocals sound nothing like DT (for which I'm thankful because for all the amazing music DT put out, I can hardly handle James any more - sorry!), but a few musical segments did have me thinking Dream Theater instrumentation. Perhaps I should have stayed away from "Dream Theater" and instead put "progressive metal" but anyway... I'm happy people dig these guys.

That's just one side of UM, they do get heavy sometimes, true. There's a certain flash/chopsy factor that reminds me of DT at times, thus my DT for frat boys remark. You see the same sense of awe on the faces of these college kids and hippies at a UM show you see on the face of metal fans at at DT show. It seldom sounds the same, but a certain gymnastic appeal comes from both at times. UM is a lot more diverse musically than DT though, by a long shot. Not being hemmed in by a tag like "prog-metal" probably helps. I doubt DT will be doing and trance techno or reggae tunes any time soon, but at a UM show you'll get all that and more.

Someone should start a "Jam Band" mega thread, sorting out the wheat from the chaff. I've always loved the Grateful Dead but have generally despised the genre. So much crap noodling over one-two chords. But surely there must something of value, right? Millions of people can't all be wrong, can they?

Several band members are big DT fans and there was talk of covering Dance of Eternity at one point. They did just recently cover Metallica's instrumental "Orion" and metal is certainly one of the many influences in the Umphrey's sound. I recently got bassist Ryan Stasik into Ralphe Armstrong so he has been spinning Jean Luc Ponty's 'Enigmatic Ocean' and 'Live' albums a ton over the last couple of weeks and he also grabbed a Zappa bootleg from 76 where Armstrong guests on a few tracks (all the members of Umphrey's are HUGE Zappa fans). They all make a point to listen to and absorb a wide variety of music--old and new--and these influences can work their way into their sound and style over time.
    Umphrey's isn't everyone's cup o' tea but they are a constantly touring band with strong prog influences, and I really think you need to see them in person to really know if you'll like them or not. In the meantime, here's a video taste of their just released DVD/Blu-Ray "Live from The Tabernacle" which was recorded this past New Year's run in Atlanta:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    I recently got bassist Ryan Stasik into Ralphe Armstrong
    Funny thing about Ryan is that I saw UM with a friend who has some experience playing in a jazz band. My friend was talking about them and he mentioned that UM was obviously the bass player's band, which completely threw me because I'd have thought anyone seeing them would think that they were Jake Cinninger's band, since he controls a lot of the transitions. But it is Ryan's band, isn't it? He stands front line between the two guitarists and cues the ends of section. (He's also a founder member, which can't be said of Jake or Kris.)

Sordel-

all your bands are belong to us.

Sincerely,

A bass player

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    But it is Ryan's band, isn't it?
    Team sport. They've really tried hard over the last few years to improve their ensemble playing. They're all plenty virtuoso enough and they've gotten really good at picking their moments to drop jaws with that facet of their technique, but Umphrey's is at their best when they are firing on all cylinders as a UNIT. They all have their moments of stepping out and leading, they all have their moments of face-melting playing, and they all know when to play the appropriate supporting role.

Love them, seem then 9 times and the show at the Avalon in Hollywood in 2006 in particular was a face-melter. However, I walked out of the last show I went to in 2011 before the intermission because they were having an off night compared to what I'd heard before and the House of Blues was a sauna.

As far as the jamband scene goes, I'm a huge Phish phan, but I never connected much to the scene as a whole. I like to take showers for one thing and I hate camping. Phish started out as total Zappa freaks --NOT Deadheads-- their first album Junta is prog through and through. I think Trey and his various lyricists (especially Tom) is a great songwriter and they're all virtuosos on their instruments. I've seen them 18 times and their show at The Gorge in 2009 was incredible, the second set in particular. It's just a shame that they have so much pre-conceived baggage surrounding them, when I've played them "blind" for people, they generally enjoy it.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Team sport. They've really tried hard over the last few years to improve their ensemble playing.
    Well, obviously I wasn't suggesting that UM was the bass player plus his backing group!

Jake seems to have drawn back a bit recently as he has been longer in the band: you see him a lot more on textural guitarwork than shredding or otherwise doing the "lead guitar thang". I think that's made some more space for Joel as well on keys: the guitarists seem to drop out for him more than they used to. I also like how Andy has created a bit more room for himself musically; it can't be the easiest thing standing so close to the fire that is Kris every night.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Then maybe you need to be introduced to a band from CT called The Breakfast. I'll start you off with a song near and dear to the hearts of many on this board:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Not sure I get the DT comparisons at all. For some reason there is something missing in the UM sound, it just doesn't grab me. Super talented players though. I do like the side project of UM and Ohm members, Ohmphrey. Just spun their 2nd album "Posthaste", which is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong PROGress View Post
    I come from a metal and progressive rock background so when I first heard Umphrey's McGee I was immediately in love!
    Then you definitely need to check out the Ohmphrey releases: OHMphrey, a jam band supergroup, which features three members of the prog rock/veteran jam band Umphrey's McGee (keyboardist Joel Cummins, guitarist Jake Cinninger and drummer Kris Myers), and OHM guitarist (former Megadeth guitarist), Chris Poland along with bassist Robertino Pagliari (a.k.a. "Pag").

I think *I* need to check that group out. Thanks for the heads up!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-