Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Top 3 Procul Harum albums

Your Top 3 Procol Harum albums

What would they be?
    Last edited by Homburg; 05-29-2013 at 04:33 PM.

First off, happy birthday to Gary Brooker!

Second off, you'd think somebody named for one of their songs would spell the band's name right.

As for the actual subject, everything from the first album through Exotic Birds and Fruit is my favorite--impossible to choose. But if I must pick three, I'll say

A Salty Dog
    Home
    Broken Barricades

The first three

Shine On Brightly
    Salty Dog
    Home

Grand Hotel
    Exotic Birds
    Prodigal Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The first three
    That's about it, but I'd rank them as:

Debut
    Shine On Brightly
    Home or Salty dog (tied)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Grand Hotel
    Exotic Birds
    Prodigal Stranger
    Nothing personal, but....
    That's totally amazing you (or anybody) cite that one, because the drumming absolutely sucks (an insult to BJ Wilson, a really under-rated drummer) and Trower is just there 'for show".
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I like the album a lot. Yes, perhaps there is a slight desire for shock value in that statement, but I never really admired Procol for Barrie Wilsons drumming, (which was fair, but not that mentionable) so where's the foul? My surprise was once I got over the fact that Prodigal was a later release, how much I enjoy the album. Much more so than some of what others listed. I own six PH albums, but these three I rotate, the others mostly collect dust. - And I like Trowers work on that album. Even though Its not Typical Robin Trower.

Perhaps its that I was glad to see a strong release from a band I had put out to pasture long ago. But Yeah, I stand by Prodigal Stranger as my third choice. Gary Brookers voice is still strong, and the musicianship is still good. I'll have to go back and see why you didn't like the drumming. It never stood out as an issue for me (and I play drums)

Home
    Broken Barricades
    Shine On Brightly

I like the album a lot. Yes, perhaps there is a slight desire for shock value in that statement, but I never really admired Procol for Barrie Wilsons drumming, (which was fair, but not that mentionable) so where's the foul?
    None, really!! just amazed someone would put it in their top 3, that's all

As for Wilson, he received many offers from other bands, which is always a good sign... He's maybe not a top 10 rock drummer list material, but a top 25, certainly in my book.

Broken Barricades
    Home
    Shine On Brightly

Props to BJ......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The first three

None of them are "perfect" (IMHO), but what's good there certainly belongs to the apex of late 60s British rock. Although Home, Exotic Birds and Broken Barricades are right behind. That legendary live album is great as well, but their erstwhile 70s releases are somewhat uneven-to-mediocre to my ears.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The first three in reverse chronological order.

BJ Wilson is one of the best, period.
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

Shine on Brightly
    Grand Hotel
    Home (the song "Still There'll Be More" is absolute killer)
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I never really admired Procol for Barrie Wilsons drumming, (which was fair, but not that mentionable)
    I think you'll find that this perception is fairly unique amongst Procol fans.

I'll buck the trend somewhat and postulate that Procol Harum didn't really hit their stride until A Salty Dog, so my three goes:
    A Salty Dog
    Grand Hotel
    Exotic Birds and Fruit
    ...but really, every album has its own charm and there isn't a duff bunny in the catalog.

Broken Barricades
    Home
    A Salty Dog

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I think you'll find that this perception is fairly unique amongst Procol fans.
    Indeed; IMO B.J. Wilson was one of the finest drummers in rock, period.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    ...but really, every album has its own charm and there isn't a duff bunny in the catalog.
    Prodigal Stranger comes close, but still has a fair bit of good material on it. I think The Well's on Fireis much better.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to Geoff Whitehorn. He isn't Robin Trower, but he's a really great and appropriate guitarist for Procol Harum. He nails that vintage British proto-prog feel, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Second off, you'd think somebody named for one of their songs would spell the band's name right.
    Yes, sorry: silly mistake.

For me,

1. A Salty Dog
    2. debut
    3. Grand Hotel
    Last edited by Homburg; 05-29-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Salty Dog
    Broken Barricades
    First-Shine on Brightly

I think 'Ninth' and 'Something Magic' are their worst.

1. s/t debut
    2. Salty Dog
    3. Exotic B & F

Bubbling under:
    4. Grand Hotel
    5. Shine on Brightly

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Originally Posted by rcarlberg
    Prodigal Stranger comes close, but still has a fair bit of good material on it. I think The Well's on Fireis much better.
    well's On Fire is indeed much better the PS, if only for the two instrumentals and Hammond... but alsio a much better production

However, amongst the diffs, Something Magic verges on the ridiculous

A Whiter Shade Of Pale remains their № 1 album for me.
    I had a Deram vinyl when I was a schoolboy. With a proper order of songs, as I believe. I mean Conquistador was the second song on the side 2.
    Some of my favorite Harum songs are on debut, such as Cerdes, Christmas Camel, Salad Days, Homburg, which is a single of that period.
    Next I think would be A Salty Dog. Brilliant album, despite of title song being the best one for sure. It's alike Bridge Over Troubled Water, where the title song is easily the best.
    Grand Hotel would be my third. It's decadent spirit delivers some special atmosphere, a blend of humour, sadness and self-irony. Brilliant songs, like Fires, TV Ceasar, with Trower-like solo from Mick Grabham, For Liquorice John, A Rum Tale. And of course, the title song also belongs to my list of favorites here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    well's On Fire is indeed much better the PS,
    Production is better, here I wholly agree. Can't agree on music point. PS carries some great songs. While the best one on TWoF for me is The Robe Of Silk, which was composed in 67 or 68. Most of other songs aren't something outstanding..

Shine on Brightly
    Salty Dog
    Grand Hotel