Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eurovision Song Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    ↑Nah, Iggy’s not as ugly as Jahn.

I forgot about the Italians. Alan Sorrenti sang for Italy in 1980. And Franco Battiato duetted with Alice in 1984:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Зимова Елегія”-Обійми Дощу/Елегія
    This Alice (Carla Bissi) appears as taking over the french prog band Alice in "The Progressive Rock Files" book by the way (of course there is no Connection).
    Alice did some good Art Pop stuff (with among others Peter Hammill) in her later years.

Last edited by TheH; 05-18-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Massive prog connection in the Swedish qualification rounds in 2010 (The qualification rounds in Sweden are just as big/popular as the actual Eurovision Song Contest and has even bigger ratings nationally than the ESC).
    Pain of Salvation, much like Anouk this year, entered the competition using it as an easy way to introduce themselves to a massive TV-audience.
    I don't know if it did much for their record sales but it was a nice performance.

PS. How often do you see a Mellotron in the ESC?
    Salva - "Thirst" out on White Knight Records.
    www.salvaband.com / www.whiteknightrecords.co.uk

Eurovision - the tyranny of the generic. Here's a dissection of the 2017 contest:

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Although I've never heard of her before, for some reason I can't quite put my fingers on, I'm suddenly extremely interested in Niki Minaj.

I still don’t follow this contest, but if the 2018 winner from Israel was the best out of 43 performers, the whole thing must have sucked, big time.

2 quotes on my behalf:

“27 sung arguments against a united europe”. (oliver kalkofe, german satirist)
    “as long as i have a hole in my arse i will stay well clear of this.” (fb friend of mine who is always spot on in such assessments)

regards from continental europe.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I still don’t follow this contest, but if the 2018 winner from Israel was the best out of 43 performers, the whole thing must have sucked, big time.
    I saw some of it. It was horrible.
    The israeli winner was later (obligatorily) accused of 'racism' because of her dress (japanese inspired).
    Ironicly nobody accused Björk for this, she had the same type of dress although she even beefed it up with padaung peoples neck rings (different timing, or she belongs to the right tribe).

There were some good songs in it (Denmark's viking song was good as was Lithuania's Sinead O'Connor-type singer) - unfortunately public taste as we know is shaky at best, so the worst song won.

This also happens in football where teams from countries, including Israel, that are geographically in Asia are allowed to enter the European Champions League.

However, on Eurovision, here's the 'offical' line:

"Eligibility to participate is not determined by geographic inclusion within the continent of Europe, despite the "Euro" in "Eurovision" — nor has it anything to do with the European Union. This explains the inclusion of Israel in the Contest, despite its not being a part of geographical or political Europe. In 1980, Morocco — a North African country — participated in the Contest"

Basically, just because a competition has Euro in the title doesn't mean that only countries actually in the continent of Europe can enter!

Lets hope some more metal monsters like Lordi win again this year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce12 View Post
    This also happens in football where teams from countries, including Israel, that are geographically in Asia are allowed to enter the European Champions League.

However, on Eurovision, here's the 'offical' line:

"Eligibility to participate is not determined by geographic inclusion within the continent of Europe, despite the "Euro" in "Eurovision" — nor has it anything to do with the European Union. This explains the inclusion of Israel in the Contest, despite its not being a part of geographical or political Europe. In 1980, Morocco — a North African country — participated in the Contest"

Basically, just because a competition has Euro in the title doesn't mean that only countries actually in the continent of Europe can enter!

Lets hope some more metal monsters like Lordi win again this year!!
    Well, Australia is pretty far from Europe as well. I think it's for members of the European Broadcasting Union, which includes countries that are not in Europe.

I think sometimes the go for some weird gimmick, like a bearded lady, or a chicken-imitator.

Euro is simply used for the negative descriptive quality, as in Eurotrash.