Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Violent Album Covers

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Can't agree with that. Revolver is one of the best rock album covers of all time. Stoned teenagers in the 70s starred at St. Pepper's for hours on end - very creative cover. I agree that not all were stellar but the two I mentioned are hardly uninteresting to me.
    You're right, Sgt. Pepper is a good one - I'd forgotten it, somehow. It's not a favorite of mine, but it's worth staring at. Revolver I have to admit I've never looked at much at all.

^ Nice one Oreb! The Oils are my favourite Australian band of all time. I wonder if Garrett would consider a move back into the music industry at the end of the year if he loses his seat.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    Naked City - Leng Tch'e. Horrific because it's real.
    I can't even really tell what it is -- enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Some interesting stuff so far! Inever really understood why the Beatles went with the butcher cover idea initially. Does anyknow know who's idea it was and why it wasn't dismissed right away as not a good idea? They were usually fairly tasteful (though overall I'd say the Beatles covers were all pretty uninteresting).
    Revolver and Sgt Pepper are rather good

And Abbey Road and Rubber Soul are sufficiently interesting and iconic enough in my book

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Wrong quote, but I won't fix it, but MO's best artworks are Red Sails and Diesel & Dust both worthy enough to be from/of Hipgnosis (they aren't I know)

(happens that it's also from far their best two albums... IMHO, of course)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    ^ Nice one Oreb! The Oils are my favourite Australian band of all time. I wonder if Garrett would consider a move back into the music industry at the end of the year if he loses his seat.
    I think he's done a few charity-type gigs with the band in the last few months (dare I say it, probably because he's expecting to be looking for work come September?)

By the way, heard The Break? - nice stuff:

http://www.thebreak.net.au/about

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leng_Tch'e_(album)

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Iron Maiden-killers and other ones by them I'm sure
    Metallica-Kill em all
    Dio-Holy Diver

GnR's Apetite For Destruction (first version)

even the artwork is blocked on the album's front page on RYM (had to go in the reissues or different releases)

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...struction_f56/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

For the record: physical violence, fear of violence, and physical pain are 3 different things. Just sayin!
    Physical pain is not always the result of violence.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    Big Black's original cover for "Headache" takes the prize, but I won't post it here - youse with Google-fu can go find it if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Now I wish I didn't.
    Ugh. Me, too.

Is that real?

Shame on me for being so damn morbidly curious. That's going to haunt me all day.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ugh. Me, too.

Is that real?

Shame on me for being so damn morbidly curious. That's going to haunt me all day.
    At least we can deduce it must have been an effective means to an end.

Just looked at a bunch of banned covers while looking for that Big Black cover (yuchh!), and realized how stupid it is that the Roger Waters - Pros & Cons cover was banned in the US. Really, a woman's buns? On an album by an artist who's widely know to be overall pretty morally responsible (whatever that means - it's hardly required for an artist).

My wife still ribs me occasionally, because when we first met, while I didn't live at home, my mother hadn't dismantled my old bedroom, and I still had a full-page ad for Pros & Cons on my bedroom wall. I just hadn't altered the room since about 1985. She never quite bought my explanation that I put it up because it was the cover of the new Roger Waters album, not because it featured a woman's buns. It was the truth though - it was the only "sexy" thing I ever posted on my walls, and I had a lot of music and movie stuff up over the years.

You should have the cover of Going for the One up to balance it out.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Check out Mayhem's "Dawn Of The Black Hearts" for another nasty cover. Makes Yoko's 'bloody glasses' seem tame in comparison.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

You should have the cover of Going for the One up to balance it out.
    Yeah, I could have had Pros & Cons, Going for the One, and Hemispheres. ASS-MAN ALERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Check out Mayhem's "Dawn Of The Black Hearts" for another nasty cover. Makes Yoko's 'bloody glasses' seem tame in comparison.
    I was reading that book about the Norwegian Black Metal scene, which had this picture in it, and I actually got kind of sick to my stomache and had to stop reading the book. Not really from the picture, just from the knowledge that this music scene involved murder to some extent, and church burnings. It was just more than I wanted to know. I wasn't really into Black Metal, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, I could have had Pros & Cons, Going for the One, and Hemispheres. ASS-MAN ALERT!
    New thread- covers with butts on them *lol*

Leng Tch'e was an ancient Chinese method of capital punishment whereby the condemned had parts of his body carved away while still alive. The photo on the cover is of an actual leng tch'e execution, according to wikipedia. The music on the album is about as disturbing as the photo. Perhaps it has more impact when you're listening and looking at the cover at the same time, which is how I first encountered it.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    New thread- covers with butts on them *lol*
    Too many of them! Or it just seems that way since I own and love Hemispheres and Going for the One, the music, not the covers. Where is that Annette Peacock cover again?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Too many of them! Or it just seems that way since I own and love Hemispheres and Going for the One, the music, not the covers. Where is that Annette Peacock cover again?
    LOL! THAT is the antidote!

Is that real? Shame on me for being so damn morbidly curious. That's going to haunt me all day.
    Shame on me as well. I just couldn't leave well enough alone.

Professionally speaking, I would have to say that it was quite real. Never could stomach the stuff that comes into ERs. Or morgues.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

One thing is for certain ... that man completely lost his head!

Yep, it's real:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headache_(EP)

In some cases, censorship is acceptable. This is one of them. :-)

I'm not a prude by any stretch, but I despise "shock for shock value." I just don't see the point of an album cover like that.

First thing that came to mind was Dust's Hard Attack with the Frazetta cover.

dust.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart