Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Singers who never lost their voices

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Of course he is. He sings on several of his solo albums.

He sings absolutely horribly, but he does indeed sing.
    Then, Jake's statement would still be false if you say that Mr. Howe was never a good singer in the first place, correct?

It's a joke, JIF.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's a joke, JIF.

I think Hagar has lasted pretty well and that makes me very happy as I am a huge fan but the 2 guys that blew me away the most that I recently saw was Robin Zander and Randy Jackson. Randy was so amazing, as great as he was the previous time I saw him back in the mid 80s.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    I think Hagar has lasted pretty well and that makes me very happy as I am a huge fan but the 2 guys that blew me away the most that I recently saw was Robin Zander and Randy Jackson. Randy was so amazing, as great as he was the previous time I saw him back in the mid 80s.
    I saw Cheap Trick on Leno(I think) performing Surrender recently as Robin still has it. Sounds like I was listening to the record, except that Bun E. wasn't there.
    Last edited by JIF; 05-21-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Curious: who would you rate over Freddie?
    *Technically*, a lot of people. Technically, Mariah Carey is a better singer. Do I like her music? No. But if you're just speaking about vocal technique (and I was), there are quite a few.

Freddie was no slouch, and I enjoyed their music. He was the *right* singer for the band, much like Daltrey for the Who.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Technically, Mariah Carey is a better singer.
    Well, yeah, that's like saying Yngwie is technically a better guitarist than Steve Hillage or Jerry Garcia. Yet I don't know too many people who've put the effort into collecting the official and unofficial releases of Ynwgie as many have done with Steve or Jerry.

Certainly for "rock music" (and Mariah doesn't even close to rock, despite sampling an Adrian Belew guitar riff on one of her singles), there are few in Freddie's league, I think.

And if we're gonna talk R&B music, I'll take Aretha over Mariah any and every day of the week. Mariah might be a "technically" better singer, but Aretha made better records.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, yeah, that's like saying Yngwie is technically a better guitarist than Steve Hillage or Jerry Garcia. Yet I don't know too many people who've put the effort into collecting the official and unofficial releases of Ynwgie as many have done with Steve or Jerry.

Certainly for "rock music" (and Mariah doesn't even close to rock, despite sampling an Adrian Belew guitar riff on one of her singles), there are few in Freddie's league, I think.

And if we're gonna talk R&B music, I'll take Aretha over Mariah any and every day of the week. Mariah might be a "technically" better singer, but Aretha made better records.
    Well, since I wasn't talking musical taste/genre/quality, none of that matters. And yes, LOTS of people put effort into collecting Yngwie's stuff, although after the first album or so, he kind of burnt me out on speedy diminished runs. And there are other rock singers that had better technique, whether I like them (Ann Wilson) or not (Steve Perry). But I was speaking purely of technique (something that can be measured objectively), not musical taste or compositional excellence.

I hate it when I end up defending music I don't like...
    Last edited by Mikhael; 05-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    *Technically*, a lot of people. Technically, Mariah Carey is a better singer. Do I like her music? No. But if you're just speaking about vocal technique (and I was), there are quite a few.

Freddie was no slouch, and I enjoyed their music. He was the *right* singer for the band, much like Daltrey for the Who.
    Agree... when I listen to him closely I hear pitch issues, that squirrly vibrato... he's not the great singer he's commonly held to be. But I could never ever hear anyone but him doing those songs, and as a showman... one of the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    that squirrly vibrato
    Yep, that gets on my nerves too! He was a powerful singer and I loved him with Queen, but that was an example of something stylistic that I wasn't very fond of. Actually, I don't like fast vibratos in general, be it from singers or instrumentalists. Just a personal quirky pet peeve of mine.

WeatherWiseCDC
    I mentioned Alan Frew on an earlier page, but I've now found better footage to illustrate how his voice has not changed at all, which is pretty a pretty lucky occurrence!

2009:

1988:
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-04-2013 at 02:19 AM.

WeatherWiseCDC

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Greg Lake
    Justin Hayward
    Bono

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Did you just borrow that line from Woodstock - Joe Cocker.I hope so.

Joe Cocker A Little Help From My Friends
    I think Ringo Starr was admitting that he sang a bit out of tune, but he could get through the song if eveyone joined him. It's a touching sentiment and a strong lyric. It may have been written with help from some of his friends as his solo material was okay, but never as good as his work with The Beatles. I am not sure about Cocker's motives for choosing that particular song.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

JOHN LAWTON JOHN LAWTON JOHN LAWTON JOHN LAWTON JOHN LAWTON

Didn't read back to the beginning of the thread, but both Crosby and Nash are damn close to what they sounded like 40 years ago. Stills - NOPE.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    , Colin Blunstone.
    Sounds fantastic, looking forward to see again later this month
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Colin Blunstone - Sounds fantastic, looking forward to see again later this month
    Saw the Zombies this evening, and I agree he still sounds fantastic as he turns 68 in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I think Ringo Starr was admitting that he sang a bit out of tune, but he could get through the song if eveyone joined him. It's a touching sentiment and a strong lyric. It may have been written with help from some of his friends as his solo material was okay, but never as good as his work with The Beatles. I am not sure about Cocker's motives for choosing that particular song.
    I don't think Cocker chose it himself. The record company assembled an all-star cast to back him on his first record, including Jimmy Page. That's what the song was a reference to.

The albums Muddy Waters recorded while in his 60's showed him in great voice, finely seasoned.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    The albums Muddy Waters recorded while in his 60's showed him in great voice, finely seasoned.
    If we want to talk blues, Buddy Guy's voice is still in great shape. Saw him last year (and will be seeing him again in about a month), and he still sounds good.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    Greg Lake
    Justin Hayward
    Bono
    Greg Lake lost his voice badly after ELPowell.
    Roy Orbison, he was always good and Elvis, whatever became of him physically, his voice was always top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Greg Lake lost his voice badly after ELPowell.
    Roy Orbison, he was always good and Elvis, whatever became of him physically, his voice was always top notch.
    Greg Lake sort of recovered in the last few years but not to pre -ELPowell level !

Anyone mentioned Phil Mogg yet ?

I'd have to hear Lake recently - but yeah he is pretty much the antithesis of this thread. His voice dropped an octave and a half and lost all it's smoothness. I had an ELP best-of that I bought for two bucks that had "Black Moon" on it and I was stunned at how awful he suddenly sounded.

Hayward on the other hand has always impressed me. I always considered him and Lake to be on about the same level so hearing the Moodies' recent live shows was certainly nice.