Thread: The Flower Kings - Scanning The Greenhouse

The Flower Kings - Scanning The Greenhouse

So I don’t usually post about compilation albums, but in preparation for ROSfest I pulled this one out today, and ya know, I really think this is a great little comp that actually captures the best of the band’s early output. Every track on it is great and I think the songs are the highlights of the albums that they represent. It is often hard to do a decent compilation disc, but in this case The Flower Kings got it right.

Any other love for this one?

Steve Sly

To some degree, yes, in that it's a good comp. But I have strong personal favorites from those first 4 albums that weren't represented. No complaints though.

BTW, here's the track list for those interested.

"In The Eyes Of The World" – 10:38
    "World Of Adventures" – 13:37
    "Pipes Of Peace" (Tomas Bodin, Stolt) – 1:19
    "The Flower King" (1998 re-recorded version) – 11:40
    "There Is More To This World" – 10:15
    "Stardust We Are, Part 3" (1998 re-recorded version) – 9:56
    "Retropolis" – 11:10
    "Compassion" – 4:45
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Great compilation but I much prefer the original versions of Flowering & Stardust !

Great compilation but I much prefer the original versions of Flowerking & Stardust !

This was my intro to TFK. It did what it was supposed to do, make me want to check out all their other releases, to find out that there was way more to Stardust We Are was quite thrilling. I don't listen to it often anymore, but it is a great introduction to their music.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Ok, I guess.
    I'm never a fan of compilation albums though :/

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    This was my intro to TFK. It did what it was supposed to do, make me want to check out all their other releases, to find out that there was way more to Stardust We Are was quite thrilling. I don't listen to it often anymore, but it is a great introduction to their music.
    Ditto

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I got this when it first came out, but sold it later on, not thinking it would go OOP.

What's the name of the other comp TFK released? How is that one? Weren't all the tracks rerecorded?

This is a great comp as far as compilations go, I'm not a huge fan either. But this has a lot of their best songs. A rerelease had 'Cinema Show' instead of Compassion, which is the one I wish I had, but I did have this, and since I had every other FK album I gave this to a guitar student years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I got this when it first came out, but sold it later on, not thinking it would go OOP.

What's the name of the other comp TFK released? How is that one? Weren't all the tracks rerecorded?

Their 2nd and only other compilation was titled The Road Back Home, which was a 2-Disc (what else from TFK? lol) set that covered songs from Roine's own The Flower King all the way up to Paradox Hotel.

Some tracks had new guitars and vocals and keyboards, re-done by Roine himself, but for the most part, they were just remixed to sound good together. There were also new transitions between songs as well. It's practically a whole new album if you listen to it straight through. It's a great listen if you want to hear just TFK's shorter pieces, and many of them are their best works under 8 minutes! You get some new edits, remixes, an unreleased song from the Rainmaker sessions, and a stunning cover of Genesis' "The Cinema Show".

-Marc.

Aside from a couple of fan club CDs, this is the only FK release I never bought.

The other comp "The Road Back Home" is a great collection of tunes...possibly one of the best ways to be introduced to the band.

^Thanks, it's the new transitions I guess I was thinking of, but I forgot that's what Roine had done. I also forgot that it was all shorter numbers. I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^Thanks, it's the new transitions I guess I was thinking of, but I forgot that's what Roine had done. I also forgot that it was all shorter numbers. I'll have to check it out.

No problem! It's a nice package, and Roine gives notes in the booklet on EVERY SONG, explaining exactly what he did to them for the compilation! It's a great set and fun to read his notes along as you play the CD!

-Marc.

Did Sean Ahearne put this out after the Flower Kings played Progfest 97 on his label?

Just took a look at the track listing for The Road Back Home. Funny, I thought it came out before Paradox Hotel, but since Paradox Hotel is on it, I guess not. I'm a little surprised There Is More To This World isn't on it. It would have to be shortened, but I always thought that was a pretty nice chorus on that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Aside from a couple of fan club CDs, this is the only FK release I never bought.

The other comp "The Road Back Home" is a great collection of tunes...possibly one of the best ways to be introduced to the band.
    You could really put "Scanning The Greenhouse" and "Road Back Home" together as one 3CD comp since there is not much overlap between them. If I remember right "Stardust We Are" (edit) is the only song that appears on both.

Steve Sly

I very much enjoy "The Road Back Home." As a compilation it may feel "why bother?" but it definitely makes a case for programming, because the experience of listening to the whole set unfolding in the way Roine intended very much makes for a unified experience. I also enjoy "Scanning the Greenhouse," but "Alive on Planet Earth" is the one I reach for when I want a mix of that era.
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Planechant View Post
    I very much enjoy "The Road Back Home." As a compilation it may feel "why bother?" but it definitely makes a case for programming, because the experience of listening to the whole set unfolding in the way Roine intended very much makes for a unified experience. I also enjoy "Scanning the Greenhouse," but "Alive on Planet Earth" is the one I reach for when I want a mix of that era.
    Part of "Alive On Planet Earth" was recorded at ProgDay. It was my first time seeing the Flower Kings and was a great show.

Steve Sly