Page 15 of 90 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

I'm three quarters of the way through TOAD. Eeeeesh it rocks. Just heard the 12 minute track "Life Goes On.". It's heavy, proggy, odd time sigs, big guitar/bass riffs. I'm gonna bookmark this album for repeated listening.

Now listening the first album by Lucifer's Friend. Wow!

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post

He implies Armored Saint could have been one of the Big 4 (5!) along with their contemporaries Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax..
    Since we're talking Big 4 (5!) please rank yours in order:

1- Megadeth

2 - Metallica

(3) - Armored Saint

4 - Anthrax

5- Slayer
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Metallica
    Megadeth
    Anthrax

I don't think Armored Saint is thrash.

Slayer.....I guess. I don't have any of their albums.

I don't have anything by Anthrax but I've listened to many of their complete albums on Youtube. They 're pretty badass. Megadeth, I only have a 2 disc anthology but have heard a lot of their complete albums on Youtube.

1. Anthrax is fun. They're comic geeks and I've always connected with them on that level. The last couple albums with Joey back are really solid.
    2. Megadave has always been the most technically superior, and Dave's anger on the albums up to and including Rust in Peace made for some killer songs. His self-destruction made for great art. When he rebirthed himself, he disappeared from my personal radar, he got boring.
    3. Metallica has definitely earned their place at the top, but their bullshit got in the way of my enjoyment of their later stuff.
    4. Slayer annoys me. Some great early songs, but Kerry King is just awful.

Slayer sucks. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    1. Anthrax is fun. They're comic geeks and I've always connected with them on that level. The last couple albums with Joey back are really solid.

A great, great band. But I prefer them with Joey (John's just better with Armored Saint).

2. Megadave has always been the most technically superior, and Dave's anger on the albums up to and including Rust in Peace made for some killer songs. His self-destruction made for great art. When he rebirthed himself, he disappeared from my personal radar, he got boring.
    Like Anthrax, 'Deth streamlined and headed into "melodic metal" territory for a spell, versus thrash. But Endgame was a nice return to form.

3. Metallica has definitely earned their place at the top, but their bullshit got in the way of my enjoyment of their later stuff.
    Nothing worth mentioning, let alone spinning, after AJFA.

4. Slayer annoys me. Some great early songs, but Kerry King is just awful.
    Did I already mention they suck? Won't hurt to say it again.

1 Black Sabbath
    2 Iron Maiden
    3 Tool
    4 Blue Öyster Cult
    5 Elder
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Now listening the first album by Lucifer's Friend. Wow!
    Heard the whole album. Killer. Just awesome. John Lawton wails, the guitar and organ are heavy as hell. Just a great album. Thank you YT.

Heard the whole album. Killer. Just awesome. John Lawton wails, the guitar and organ are heavy as hell. Just a great album. Thank you YT.
    Lawton is an outstanding vocalist. Don't miss subsequent LF albums like Banquet and Mind Exploding.

I also liked John's turn as Uriah Heep's vocalist.

They were like Doom Prog. As heavy as Sabbath, Purple, Led. And proggy.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Slayer sucks. That is all.
    Out of curiosity, do you listen to thrash-metal? If yes, what bands do you like? Slayer is the archetypal thrash band and unanimously loved by the fans of the genre.

It's like saying you like metal but Black Sabbath sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you listen to thrash-metal? If yes, what bands do you like?
    A quick scroll up this very page yields some info quicker than my typing this.

Slayer is the archetypal thrash band and unanimously loved by the fans of the genre.
    That's fine, but I don't think they're as good as good as everyone makes them out to be (going back 25-30 years here, too), not where vocals/bass/guitars — and especially songs — are concerned. Now drummers? Excellent. But it takes more than that for me to stick around, and Anthrax, 'Deth and Annihilator were all way better.

It's like saying you like metal but Black Sabbath sucks...
    No, it's not. Just my opinion.

P.S. Slayer couldn't manage Sabbath's road crew, let alone compete with them on a musical level.

My take on Slayer: they're the ICP of thrash, they became a cult for a specific type of fan about 20 or more years ago. Slayggalos?
    Early stuff was fine at the time, but they've become cartoons.

There are so many thrash bands that are better or more interesting, or just more fun. I'll take Exodus, Laaz Rockit, Death Angel, Uncle Slam, Annihilator, Dark Angel, Overkill, Kreator, Sepultura, Forbidden, Testament, Xentrix, Toxic, Coroner....over Slayer. Shoot, I'll even add Tankard.

A bunch of those never had the success or longevity of Slayer, and I grant Slayer real respect for that. They just never drove me personally.

My take on Slayer: they're the ICP of thrash, they became a cult for a specific type of fan about 20 or more years ago. Slayggalos?
    Early stuff was fine at the time, but they've become cartoons.

There are so many thrash bands that are better or more interesting, or just more fun. I'll take Exodus, Laaz Rockit, Death Angel, Uncle Slam, Annihilator, Dark Angel, Overkill, Kreator, Sepultura, Forbidden, Testament, Xentrix, Toxic, Coroner....over Slayer. Shoot, I'll even add Tankard.
    The best ones right there, with Testament and Annihilator being right up there with 'Deth and Anthrax for me.

The best ones right there, with Testament and Annihilator being right up there with 'Deth and Anthrax for me.
    Testament should have made it into the top to stand with the Big 4 to make it the Big 5.

I would have included Voivod in the list, they're a major favorite with thrash origins. But they've always kind of existed outside of genre distinction for me.

Now it makes more sense. It's clear you're more keen on the US techno-thrash wave of late 80's early 90's. I am too. I like all the names you mention.

Slayer was darker, heavier and rower than all these. This kind of music is less about musical abilities and more about intensity and expression of feeling. In my opinion they were unsurpassed at this. Of course they also managed to play more demanding or melodic stuff in records like South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me back.

NP: Budgie........Impeckable.

NP: Budgie........Impeckable.
    Was just listening to this yesterday. What do you think?

It's funky. They kinda remind me of Wishbone Ash in the sense that they are guitar driven and heavy, but kinda poppy/melodic. Great stuff. Yes, I like it.

1- Megadeth
    I should put Megadeth at #1, as I found out bassist David Ellefson lives a couple of blocks away from me. In fact, he lives next door to my daughter's best friend. Smaller world!

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I should put Megadeth at #1, as I found out bassist David Ellefson lives a couple of blocks away from me. In fact, he lives next door to my daughter's best friend. Smaller world!
    Interesting neighbor story. When Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica he moved out to LA and got a garden apt. His upstairs neighbor started annoying him practicing Van Halen bass riffs. He banged on the door and met- David Ellefson- and that is how Megadeth got started....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Listening to a compilation called Old-school Speed Metal on YT. It's all early 80s underground metal. Bands called KAT, Agent Steel, Tyrant. I understand the difference between Speed and Thrash now.

I should look for a thread on some of these early, heavy bands or start one. I've discovered a few. The band I've really gotten hooked by is Toad. They were a heavy band, and proggy, and Swiss. I'm playing their second ablum......Tomorrow Blue. Killer. Heavy and proggy.

Listening to Budgie......If I Were Brittania I'd Wave the Rules.......