Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just saw Steven Wilson in Atlanta!!!

Tell us more!

[QUOTE=Rick;89046]Forgive my ignorance, what does a Quad performance mean?

Steven Wilson is very much into Surround sound, be it 5.1 or quadraphonic. All of his later PT titles and solo work (and som of his other projects) have been done in surround. He has also remastered many other Prog works for other bands. For this tour, there will be speakers behind as well as in front of the audience. For true quad, those rear speakers play just as important a role as the fronts. Prog and quad/5.1 are a natural fit in my opinion, as complicated music enjoys a benefit when additional speakers can discretely contribute the various instruments. Another benefit is when the artist wants additional ability to communicate 3D depth. Dark Side of the Moon, and wish you were here are obviously fantastic, as is brain salad surgery, Tarkus, all the King Crimson Stuff, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, etc. Going tonight and can't wait to see how it sounds....

[QUOTE=Mycuff;89643]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, what does a Quad performance mean?

Steven Wilson is very much into Surround sound, be it 5.1 or quadraphonic. All of his later PT titles and solo work (and som of his other projects) have been done in surround. He has also remastered many other Prog works for other bands. For this tour, there will be speakers behind as well as in front of the audience. For true quad, those rear speakers play just as important a role as the fronts. Prog and quad/5.1 are a natural fit in my opinion, as complicated music enjoys a benefit when additional speakers can discretely contribute the various instruments. Another benefit is when the artist wants additional ability to communicate 3D depth. Dark Side of the Moon, and wish you were here are obviously fantastic, as is brain salad surgery, Tarkus, all the King Crimson Stuff, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, etc. Going tonight and can't wait to see how it sounds....
    To me, 15th row center, the sound left a little to be desired.

Too little Guthrie and way way too much bass in the mix.

It could have been way better, in my opinion.

First, it is great that another generation is listening and enjoying this type of music. So, kudos to Flatliner 1 & 2! My daughter is 9, and has been listening to "The Raven..." disc with me now for a few weeks, in 10 minute spurts when I pick her up after work. I am a guitar player, so I know that has some influence on her, when she hears some of the guitar solos, she asks...Dad, can you play that? Unfortunately I have to answer no! Anyway - she does like Genesis (loves the piano opening Firth and she is starting lessons). I do play her a good mix, Beatles, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, and also listen to the music she likes when she asks me to play it. My feeling is just keep an open mind, if I don't act like I dislike her music, I am hoping she will listen to all kinds of music with an open mind. And some of the pop songs she listens to are quite catchy!

I am seeing Wilson on Sunday the 28th, and cant wait. The only bummer is this show is a co-headliner with Opeth (Albany NY), the only one of the tour. So, we are in for a much shorter set, hopefully most or all of Raven gets played with a few extras sprinkled. Wish I could see just Steven, but I am sure this will be excellent. I do enjoy Opeth, so I really cant complain.

Thanks for the reviews -

Eric

[QUOTE=Dan Marsh;89730]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycuff View Post

To me, 15th row center, the sound left a little to be desired.

Too little Guthrie and way way too much bass in the mix.

It could have been way better, in my opinion.
    I was at this show as well. I was in the back left hand corner in the plastic chairs. I had the same experience as you. The bass was rocking. My butt was vibrating . But, the guitars were not in the forefront enough for me. I could hear them well enough, but the bass was over-powering.

I have been under the impression that my position was not ideal for the show, but it sounds like yours was. So, maybe this is something they need to fix.

I sat in the middle and thought the mix was pretty balanced.

I attended the show at the Howard Saturday night and it was phenominal. Everybody was dialed in and the crowd was loving it. I spent most of my time down on the floor where I thought the sound was excellent. Plenty of bass, but Guthrie and everyone else had no problem being heard. Marco was on fire I thought, and killed it at the end of Raider II.

They were selling record store day picture discs. After the show we waited outside and got to meet some of the band (except Adam and Theo who I think may be a little bit more reclusive). Guthrie was outside the door first having a cigarette, then Nick, and finally Steven. My niece snuck inside and got Theo's autograph on the record, but never found Adam. Guthrie was mellow and laid back but chatted with us for several minutes. Nick when he came out later was very cool and outgoing. Steven was very gracious , and was happy to sign autographs, take photos, and talk with us. My wife commented that they were all so nice, and I think she was surprised by that.

I was wrong about the quadraphonic experience, the rears were mainly used for sound effects, which like the videos, were creepy. I thought it added to the experience, and created the mood Steven wanted to achieve. Anyway, great show!

The Howard show was pretty f@(king awesome.
    Bring ear protection ( unless you are still 'immune' )
    When the stick / bass gets cranked up...wow.
    The visuals were cool and disturbing.
    I did notice the surround, it cranked the awesome up a notch.
    The mix started out uneven (like that never happens ) but settled out pretty quick.
    Mucho Bass.
    I did have trouble with the level of Guthrie's guitar a couple of times. Perhaps that was intentional.
    The fretless seemed the lowest of the bunch.
    If you do not have one yet. Get a ticket and go!

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The Howard show was pretty f@(king awesome.

When the stick / bass gets cranked up...wow.
    I was only a few people back from the front of the stage, and a few times I thought the reverberation of the bass in my core was going to jiggle something loose! A guy next to me had ear protection -- wise move!

Is anyone going to the Buffalo show tonight?

What song(s) did Guthrie play the fretless on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    What song(s) did Guthrie play the fretless on?
    The towards the end and the encore medley. Afraid to say this was the first Steven Wilson ( non PT ) performance I have seen or heard.
    I didn't have the song names pre memorized.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Is anyone going to the Buffalo show tonight?
    Myself, my two sons (23 years old & 27 years old),my brother, and two close friends will be at the show tonight in Buffalo.
    We have been waiting along time for this show, and are pretty excited.

Scott
    Last edited by srtd4; 04-21-2013 at 11:31 PM.

I thought I heard surround effects during the show. Would make perfect sense given his love for the format.