Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Explosions reported at finish line of Boston Marathon

We're having a bomb scare, right now, about 2 blocks from my work. They've got all the roads closed off. Police have sent a robot in to inspect a suspect package left at a gas station. I'm far enough away that we're not evacuated but this is next one of Montreal's biggest shopping malls and apparently it's pretty chaotic over there right now. Maybe some idiots trying to gain a little notoriety in wake of yesterday's event in Boston.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Reputable sources are becoming few and far between. Most of today's media want to rush to be the first to air... and if others have it, it MUST be true, so they report it also.
    Yeah, yeah...I get the point....

Bill - sorry about your friend, and Pepe, glad to hear you're okay. Yves - stay safe!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I suppose there's always the 3rd alternative: domestically carried out but funded (& perhaps instruction provided) by international sources.

And no, I've never been a conspiracy theorist.
    Technically I think your post now qualifies you as one.

That is awesome, Facelift.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Technically I think your post now qualifies you as one.
    Fair enough, Guy, but in my mind, I don't see myself as a theorist, but rather an uninformed speculator.

Does uninformed speculation add to this thread in any way? Not at all, so I see the larger point.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

They've opened up the streets again and I did not hear a loud KA-BOOM so I guess it was a false alarm.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Good news, Yves.

Deep breaths, Yevis!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    When I try to go to that URL, there is only a blank page (which is perfectly fine now that I know the reason for it). Here is a Huffington Post article about the site for anyone else who can't access it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3093105.html

Because conspiracy theories and respect for the dead and wounded are somehow mutually exclusive? I don't get the connection...

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Because conspiracy theories and respect for the dead and wounded are somehow mutually exclusive? I don't get the connection...
    The most popular conspiracy theory genre is the "false flag," meaning that it was all government set-up. Often, the dead/wounded are alleged to be actors. The internet was full of this stuff when the Newtown massacre happened.

I can see how somebody sitting in a hospital room wondering how he's going to provide for his family for the rest of his life because he no longer has working legs might be offended by the assertion that he either doesn't exist, or is play-acting for some sinister government purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The most popular conspiracy theory genre is the "false flag," meaning that it was all government set-up. Often, the dead/wounded are alleged to be actors. The internet was full of this stuff when the Newtown massacre happened.

I can see how somebody sitting in a hospital room wondering how he's going to provide for his family for the rest of his life because he no longer has working legs might be offended by the assertion that he either doesn't exist, or is play-acting for some sinister government purpose.
    Newtown was the first I ever heard the "actor" claim against everyday citizens (victims in this case). But the number one characteristic of a person making such a claim is "nut case"...not "conspiracy theorist". One can theorize about all sorts of things, but when it goes that far the person has definitely lost connection with reality. It takes a special sort of asshole/idiot to make that sort of claim about a situation like the one in Newtown.

I'm seeing on the news that an arrest is imminent. The suspect is supposedly being brought to the Boston Courthouse, which is across the Fort Point Chanel. I can see news helicopters outside my office window now. Definitely something happening.

Bill

Don't know how legit this is:

Well, now the Globe site is saying that no arrest has been made, no one in custody. Helicopters are still there, but this may have been a false or premature report. Frustrating.

Bill

So it was a swarthy guy, and MSNBC insists it had to have been a tea partier.

Since I am a swarthy tea partier, I'm thinking maybe I did it.

Was I in Boston recently?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Now there's been a bomb threat at the courthouse, which is being evacuated. Huge helicopters going by my window. Apparently there's a Police boat in the water near the courthouse as well. Crazy.

Now CNN is reporting "FEDS: NO ARREST IN BOSTON"

It would be great if they could the asshole(s) who did this quickly, but it often takes time to catch the person or persons.
    I get my news primarily from the PBS News Hour and the local paper, so don't have to deal with the sensationalism so much.
    Victims getting their legs amputated is the most ironic part of this tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    and MSNBC insists it had to have been a tea partier.
    Can you provide evidence of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Now CNN is reporting "FEDS: NO ARREST IN BOSTON"

Would they tell you even if they did.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The media is really annoying throughout this whole thing. Journalistic integrity is truly dead.

^ Yeah, it is. Ratings trumps all else. Sensationalism sells (which is why news and entertainment have blurred), and the networks have to fill the 24-hour news cycle. I started my career in journalism -- I don't think you could pay me to go back into that field.

Agree with some other posters that speculation is pointless. Don't prematurely point fingers; don't prematurely rule anything out. Just let the process work itself out.
    Last edited by Adrian; 04-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    MSNBC insists it had to have been a tea partier.
    That sounds like a rumor, or a misreported exaggeration to me. Although from what I've heard, it does appear more the work of a domestic terrorist, another Timothy McVeigh, than of Al Qaeda or someone similar: Look at the multiple symbolism of Patriot's Day, of April 15th, of Boston, and of the bomb using Colonial-style black powder in Massachusetts, an infamously liberal state that just passed a strict gun control law. Those all point in that direction, all of them are specific to the US, and they would likely matter a lot to a domestic terrorist. However, none of them would mean much to Al Qaeda. They might not even be aware of them. Also, Al Qaeda can get better explosives than black powder, and I strongly suspect they would have used those.

But even MSNBC knows the very large difference between the Tea Party and the likes of McVeigh. Now what they might have said was that Boston was, of course, the site of the original Boston Tea Party, and that could have a symbolic importance to a domestic terrorist. Which statement then got scrambled into what you heard.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-18-2013 at 04:02 AM.