Thread: Revueltas - Sensemaya

chalkpie

Revueltas - Sensemaya

My first thread since my pet squirrel put the family and I in the operating room for months at a poke. Anyhoo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHZE0t10qpA

The best YT video I’ve seen in months, I wash it was in HD, but it’s shoddy-esque droopy sack quality.

This is really like a Univers Zero tune, actually the other way around. For fans of Bartok, Shostakovich, Varese, Daniel Denis, FZ, Cuneiform label, kush, and reposado.

It's also a sort of cross between Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps and Ravel's Bolero - the sound, musical language, and some of the actual phrases of Le Sacre, combined with Bolero's endless build-up of tension over one rhythm and one pedal point, and then its final relief with a brief modulation and resolution.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-13-2013 at 10:21 PM.

chalkpie
    Spot on. I forgot to say Igor and the Ravel connection is brilliant, so very true.

I have a $10 subscription to Spotify, and it's the best 10 bucks I spend all month, along with beer and spirits

chalkpie
    This thread was sinking like the Titanic, and it probably will continue to do so after this post - ha!

But if I add the words: Steven Wilson, Yes, Gentle Giant, Genesis, Dream Theater, then this thread a hot search item - HOT DAyUMMMMMMMNNNNNNN!

Anyhoo...

Here goes.

MAGMA FANS UNITE!!!!!!!!! Not sure how the Magma freaks will find this thread, most likely they won't, in which case they can go Butter Vander's Balls. When I say balls, I mean his bowling ball collection. Vander is a huge bowler in Paris, and bowls in three leagues: Pee wee (Saturdays), Hortz Wlasïk Kobaïa League (Tuesdays), and the Fuckin' Freaks of France League (Thursday at 2:30 am).

Since we are still investigating composers south of the border, We head to Rio de Janeiro to check out Heitor Villa-Lobos.

Chôros No.10 (1926). I'll be a Ponkey's Funkle if halfway through this doesn't sound like Magma?! It's ridiculous.

The 1st half is actually the better half by a mile, but the "Magma" section is just pure fun and makes you wonder how much of an influence this piece had on Msr. Vander?

Man, I feel this thread getting heavier as I type, its already starting to sink......

chalkpie
    Ooops. The link should help if you are brave enough to click on it. Actually don't do it....there is no mellotron. Go find a REAL prog thread, willya?

Just in case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_rRSphKnfE

much enjoyed both of those- hope i don't lose my prog credentials for admitting that

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    the "Magma" section is just pure fun and makes you wonder how much of an influence this piece had on Msr. Vander?
    Hard to say. I hear a musical celebration of wildness: an almost Ivesian collage of Carnival celebration, of jungle sounds, of "native" music all filtered through an early Twentieth Century classical sensibility and its heavy debt to The Rite of Spring.

But I think that, in Magma, you can hear a lot more of Carmina Burana - which, in turn, derives from Stravinsky's Les Noces. There's a funny progression audible: Carmina Burana takes Les Noces and adds a lot of repeats, and Magma in turn take Carmina Burana and add even more. And there's also, of course, the modal period of Coltrane in Magma; who Vander doesn't directly copy but tries to evoke a similar kind of transcendence through compositional means instead of improvising.