Thread: BAJA PROG DAY TWO THREAD

BAJA PROG DAY TWO THREAD

how bout some reviews of day two...

Gran Turismo Veloce

Cast

Anglagard

Crimson
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Gran Turismo Veloce were a nice afternoon Keyboard led act with the occaisional Metal crunch and vocalist. Nothing groundbreaking, just a modern sounding Symph band which started the afternoon nicely.

Cast were very good. I really like their compositions. Wish the vocals were of a higher quality and more sparse. The vocals filled too much of the compositions. Nice Symph style writing though.

Anglagard owned this year's BAJA PROG. They were simply stunning fro first note to last. I got the whole show on video except for the first minute of atmospherics so I'll upload a snippet.

Crimson started with a 4 tune set by the Stickmen then 4 tunes from the Belew Trio. Reuter is hugely influenced by Fripp and was a more than adequate fill-in for the old man. They played Red and a wide range of material from the Belew/Levin era. They played it all VERY VERY LOUD!!! I was struck by just how much they deviate from the original recordings; all musicians going off the script in artistic bliss.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thanks for the report! Any chance you could post Anglagard's setlist? Please!?

Gran Turismo Veloce - very nice, somewhat generic sounding Italian prog. Good beginning to the day.

Cast - I've seen them several times. They lived up to expectations. Well played, decent symph. And yes, too much vocals.

Anglagard - I love these guys, but they failed to completely suck me in to their performance. Still the best performance of the day, by far.

King Crimson Projeckt - I was really looking forward to this performance, but to say I was disappointed, is an understatement. The Stickmen set was OK, but their rendition of The Firebird was sloppy. The Adrienne Belew set was ridiculous. WAY TOO F'N loud, and just not good. The KCP set was also sloppy as hell, and WAY TOO F'N LOUD. It felt like I had a spike in my forehead that was hit by a hammer every time Mastelotto hit his snare. Why did they need 2 drummers? Reuter IMO was a 'one trick pony' with his touch guitar. Same tone and technique for the entire set. I was at Baja Prog with 10 other people, several of them musicians themselves, and all KC fans, and our agreement on this performance was unanimous.
    Last edited by simon moon; 04-09-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

For those interested, Anglagard played the following set: 1. Intro (new ideas) 2. Höstsejd 3. Sorgmantel 4. Jordrök 5. Längtans Klocka 6. Sista Somrar 7. Kung Bore

Quote Originally Posted by Jutze View Post
    For those interested, Anglagard played the following set: 1. Intro (new ideas) 2. Höstsejd 3. Sorgmantel 4. Jordrök 5. Längtans Klocka 6. Sista Somrar 7. Kung Bore
    thanx... I was gonna hafta watch the video and play the albums to find out which specific pieces they played